Ulster Minor Club Championship

Started by gallsman, December 03, 2006, 11:16:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

Colm Cavanagh is the most over rated young player of everyone mentioned here!

robertemmet

Any news on who all is nominated for the St Paul's Ulster All-Stars

Surely Jim Kelly,Patsy Bradley and the McEldowney twins will be in the running from Slaughtneil.

nrico2006

Why who mentioned him??  As for over rated, u mustnt have watched him that much.  We'll see how hes doing in a few years in comparison with ur man mcgourty.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

ONeill

From what I've seen from underage football in the last couple of years, there is no footballer who comes close to McGourty in terms of attacking play. Some of his long range and sideline points would grace any senior game. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that ST Galls wins this tournament simply because of CJ's contribution. Ciaran McGinley of Errigal was the class act last year in this tournament - Mr Versatility.

Coalisland v Crossmaglen - the S Armagh boys will be out to avenge last year's reversal at the hands of Errigal.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

rolloutking

Cross only pulled away in their county final against the Ogs, not impressive at all. A few of the ogs lads were in bad shape as well with their formal being just 36 hours before throw in! Not name any names here.

Coalisland will wipe the floor with Cross. They hammered a Donnaghmore team in their county final that hammered the ogs in a friendly week before both county finals!

gallsman

Nrico, I don't doubt that in a few years Colie Cavanagh will have experienced considerably more success than CJ, but that is simply due to his being a Tyrone man. CJ would have walked onto any minor team in the country last year.

In light of O'Neill's post, perhaps I should revise my opinion to him being the best young attacker.

You thought Ciaran McGinley was the best player on that team O'Neill? Having played (and lost narrowly) to that Errigal side, I would have said John Kelly or Aaron Monaghan were the two best players on the team, with Barry Canavan not too far behind.

CiKe

I hadn't heard the one CJ's services being punted arpund to the highest bidder, but it sounds a lot like bullsh*t to me. It's very easy to come on a message board and say stuff like that.

I'll agree his attitude stinks however. After 10 years as a great talent with an enormous mouth  I'm not sure if he can change at this stage. Kevin has improved over the years as he has matured but CJ I think is probably worse than Kevin was - probably because there isn't a player on the team close to him, where as on our team Kevin wasn't necessarily the star of the show every day.

I'd love to see the Galls go on and win the thing. It would be a great achievement and would keep the momentum going at underage, with hopefully a few of the boys graduating to the seniors in th not too distant future

chuck hughes

the fianna won by 3 points, another hard fought game for them. their defence seems 2 be their strong point, their fowards missed a lot of chances, could well be seen as favourites for the final!

never kickt a ball

Report from Na Fianna Website:

The minors made it throught to the final of the Ulster Tournament with a hard fought victory over Killybegs.  It wasn't easy to watch as our young blues controlled the game for long periods but couldnt convert their possession into scores.  In fact it was the nineteenth minute before Thornton scored from a forty-five to open the fianna account. 

Before that the lads had taken the wrong option or shot just wide on numerous occasions when on another day things would have gone right for them and they would have been well in front. 

We reached half time trailing by 0-03 v 0-02 and we thought it can only get better as surely we would click into gear in the next half.  We were also concerned by the injury to the Killybegs player who had to be removed by ambulance after a collision with a Fianna player.  There was great work done here by the Fianna first aider Brian Slater who kept the lad immobile until the medics arrived.  Hopefully the young player will make a speedy recovery.

After a long break the Donegal lads warmed up again but we did not, we wondered?  Killybegs started sharper and scored to go two in front but that was the only benefit of the warm up as we pulled back to level 4 v 4.  There then came a period when we could not get near the Killybegs lads and they ran through to score twice but it could have been more, score now 6 v 4.  We now entered the last quarter and this never say die team started to do what they do best, we had Mackers powering through from defence to set up a score, Toner powering through to take his own score, O' Hagan winning the ball and laying it off for a score, then Carberry slotting one over from an impossible angle and Galvin my man of the match crowning his performance with a lovely score to finally break the Killybegs resolve.  This was not just a game of scorers as in fact they know they missed too many but the defence held tight and kept us in it only conceding 6 points in a full game is testament to their hard work.  Well done lads but could you think of the possible heart attacks you are causing in the crowd and switch it on a little sooner, thanks, for another fantastic day out the large Fianna contingent really enjoyed it, at least when the whistle went.

never kickt a ball

This years  Ulster Minor Club Tournament, run by Cumann Naomh Pól, will be the 25th year of competition.

We are proud to announce new sponsors for both the Tournament and the All Stars.  Northern Bank has a long history of being involved in supporting the community.  As Northern Ireland's largest financial institution, they see it as vitally important that they contribute to the community and get involved in places where we live and do business – nationally, regionally and locally.  This obviously ties in very readily with the aims and ethos of the GAA, where we have community built structures at Club, County and All Ireland levels.  We look forward to working with them and are sure that their sponsorship will add to what is already the premier underage club competition in Ireland.  To celebrate this landmark year of competition we have decided to ask members of the Ulster GAA Writers Association to select their team of the tournament from every player that has competed during the last 25 years.  Selection will be based on their success throughout their playing career, not only their contribution at minor level. We are therefore requesting individuals to nominate players for inclusion in the team.  It would be beneficial to the nominee if along with the nomination you include some details of the achievements of those nominated.  Details should include:

1.        Name
2.        Club
3.        Year they played in the competition
4.        Club achievements
5.        County achievements
6.        Honours won
7.        Any other information you feel appropriate

From the full list of nominees received members of the Ulster GAA writers will select 45 players from which they will finally select the all-star team.  Everyone that is included on the list of 45 will be invited to a gala dinner to be held in Belfast City Hall, on Friday 16th February 2007, at which the team selection will be announced. 

Following the publication of the 45 nominations the public will be asked to select their team.  The person closest to the GAA writers selection will be invited to the presentation dinner along with other prizes

We also intend to publish a history of the tournament and would therefore appreciate any memories or anecdotes either serious or humorous; we would also welcome copies of any photographs or press cuttings concerning the competition.

We are confident that this will prove to be a very prestigious award and are sure that any player would be proud to be nominated.

Further details of the teams that have competed and nominations as they are received can be obtained from St Paul's website: http://stpauls.antrim.gaa.ie

Nominations should be forwarded to:
E-mail: ulsterminorstar@btinternet.com
Fax: 02890 301009

Shaws Road
Belfast
BT11 9QR

Anybody know who would be in running for this team?

ONeill

Braved the elements and a dodgy stomach to take a scoot down to St Paul's today to watch Cavan Gaels dispose of St Gall's in the semis, 3-8 to 0-8. Although the scoreline suggests a one-sided affair, the outcome was in the balance until shortly after half time when Cavan rattled off 1-3 without reply. The game took a while to warm up and it wasn't until 5-6 mins when the first score arrived, from the boot of Gaels' Martin Dunne the left corner forward. Little did we know but this was the first point of a 2-5 tally the youngster would claim. Until this point it seemed St Gall's had the measure of their opponents with David Cummings (CHF) fielding well. McGourty (FF) was well marshalled, often bordering on the illegal, but sure that's something he'll have to get used to. Something else he'd need to cut out is his constant berating of his fellow players as well as umpires and referee. I'd say he'd get a few more decisions in his favour that way. Best for Cavan in the early stages was the highly impressive CHB, Daniel Graham. He's an excellent reader of the game and not afraid to bomb forward, often doing the raiding jobs his LHB and RHB failed to do. Sean Higgins (CHF) for Cavan also had the measure of Harbinson (CHB) and repeatedly skinned him. I thought the Galls' management were slow to act here. Two consecutive poor kickouts from the Galls' keeper, McCann, were finally punished when Higgins fielded, fed Reilly with an exquisite pass and the LHF slotted over. At 2-0 Cavan were starting to exert their dominance in most sectors but to their credit St Gall's notched 0-3 to hit the front. A fine Anto McCaffrey (MF) point was followed by an over from Dowds and a splendid long-range McGourty point off his left foot. Unfortunately, that was his finest moment in the game.

Cavan responded with a goal from Dunne, deflected into the net by full back Gribbon. Gribbon's game then left him and he had a nightmare 30-40 minutes consequently, fumbling and misreading. He repeatedly fouled and was on two occasions guilty of backchat which resulted in the ball being moved forward, one of those pointed by Dunne. Cummings knocked over two frees for Gall's to leave it 1-3 to 0-5 in Cavan's favour. It was disappointing at this stage to see the Cavan players indulge in the theatricals although they seemed to be reacting to the vociferous support they were receiving from the Cavan crowd. Disaster struck again for the Milltown men when the goalkeeper McCann was outfielded, the ball fed to Dunne who dispatched to the net with ease. Another Dunne free after Burke (MF) dragged him to the ground was followed by a similar placed ball score from McGourty which left the half time score 2-4 to 0-6 in Cavan's favour.

The start of the second half saw the Cavan manager comically bellow at the sizeable Cavan contingent in the crowd to make more noise for 'another 30 mins and yiz'll get your bangers when you get home'. Damien O'Hagan, his oppositional number in the final, found this particularly amusing. Also amusing was Sean McGourty's (Gall's manager) choice of headwear. Hard to know how to describe it. Not a cap, not a monkey hat – a bit of both! Anyway, 12 minutes into the second half and the game was dead. 1-3 to no score killed the game off as a contest, two wonderful Dunne points, McClary over and then a fabulous team goal, finished off by FF Levi Murphy. As with most moves, it began with Graham raiding from defence (after Thompson failed to hold onto possession, again), feeding impressive sub Niall Murray who put through Murphy. At this stage Gall's were all over the place in defence although Gribbon began to emerge from his nightmare to drive the Belfast men forward in the last 10 mins. At 3-7 to 0-6 game was up though. St Gall's hit their first point of the half on 16 mins when McGourty pointed a free after he himself was fouled. He then narrowly missed goaling for the third time in the game before hitting over another free. Dunne finished the scoring with a free to leave the long whistle signalling a 3-8 to 0-8 victory.

How was the game won? Cavan display a tremendous work ethic, mirroring the present Tyrone team's gameplan. Coalisland will need to match this. Cavan are determined bunch. They defend in numbers and attack in waves. Defensively they were intelligent and sound, marshalled well by the hugely impressive Graham, and were first to most breaking ball. Although he notched 2-5, Dunne was by no means a one-man show up front. He seemed to be more of a poacher but it wouldn't surprise me if Murphy or Higgins top scored next time. A dangerous forward unit with a great understanding. Some of the telepathic passing indicated that this was a team with a few years together under their belts. How was the game lost? St Gall's simply couldn't match Cavan's workrate, nor did they have enough players of a high enough standard, barring McGourty and Cummings in attack. CJ tried his best to drag his side into the game, but didn't really know what was expected off him, feed or be fed. In an ideal world, he'd have been picking up break ball around the middle, lumping it forward, and catching it himself!
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

anglocelt39

Thanks for a very comprehensive report O Neill. Despite the fact that there is feck all love for Cavan Gaels within the county I'm  delighted they are in the final and hope to christ they go on and win it. The demise of Cavan football has been a slow, painful affair and poor structures at underage level over several years has been a factor in that. You can't hope to compete at senior level if you have not got a few lads who know what it is to win something at underage level.

There are some small signs that maybe we are starting to catch up. The Gaels have won the county minor title for several years in a row. This year they had to really battle for it, going to a replay, I think, against Lurgan in what was great football I'm told. Lurgan would draw a few players from Virginia vocational school which won the Vocational All Ireland last year. Virginia in turn had to battle seriously hard to retain their county title this year, beating Bailieborough by a point a few weeks ago. So ok, it's not exactly a roll of honour that would make your average Tyrone underage offical stand up and take notice, but maybe, just maybe, there is a sign of something changing for the better. Sure hope so.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

Ordinary Man

who is shaping up like the player of the tournament?

Rollout

Cavam Gaels minors have won 8 of the last 9 Cavan Minor football championships! That is some recorded. Next years Gaels minor team will probably also be strong after winning the Ulster U-17 Paul McGirr tournament in Dromore this year. 9 out of 10 championships would be some going. Think Corofin in Galway hold record for winning 10 minor Championships in a row (not 100%). This years minor team are extremely good and well coached through the years! Although I agree that Cavan football has been poor its not the Gaels fault that numerous men put dedicated free time into training these underage teams!
http://cavan.handball.gaa.ie

The Ulster Handball Open 2007