Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T O Hare

Quote from: gaamann on October 27, 2015, 12:18:15 AM
T O Hare why Dawson can you see what the attraction is its a honest question maybe I am missing something.
g

I only manage teams in the club , I'm not that much involved.
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

forevergreen

Quote from: gaamann on October 27, 2015, 12:18:15 AM
T O Hare why Dawson can you see what the attraction is its a honest question maybe I am missing something.

Why not!!!

Frank has won titles of some description wherever he has been with the exception of Longstone (although they were better than at any other time) and at Antrim (never a chance).

He won 2 in a row with Burren and whatever people think of him he has a knack of delivering.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Line Ball on October 26, 2015, 10:14:13 PM
Right, so your reckon that we have influenced "the more gullible board members" to vote out Mc Corry.  2 things, I would like to think that most have opinions and views of their own and secondly do they even know that this site exists? 

Of course they've opinions of their own, but in the heat of the moment after the Wexford defeat, the more radical on this board would have reinforced the more extreme board members that they were reflective of the county as a whole.

Do you really think they don't see directly or hear by proxy what is said on here?!? Numerous times there have been references to online media with regards to abuse of players, boards and management across the country.

Quote from: Line Ball on October 26, 2015, 10:14:13 PMWhy would they believe the crap that is spouted on here if they do follow it anyway

As I said; gullible. Couple that with heat of the moment and you've fellas losing the run of themselves.
i usse an speelchekor

supersub

If the above were to even be considered plausible I would be very very worried about the whole set up.

However I don't believe it is so.

thewobbler

Eamon Burns. If it happens, although I would wish him all the success in the world, it would have to rank up there with the oddest appointments in GAA history.

I mean what is the CV required for a county football manager's job?

Most counties would appear to follow a logical route, which involves shortlisting people with a combination of two or more of:

a) clearly overachieving with a club team.
b) winning senior club championships.
c) getting involved then enjoying some success at a representative level (county minor or under-21, or Sigerson).
d) a strong background in coaching or physical training.
e) recently showing the leadership in county colours that earmarks them as a born winner.

In Down, the criteria would appear to begin with:

i) did you play in 1991 or 1994?
ii) do you know what the Down Way is?

Then, anything from criteria A-E above, well it's something of a bonus.

- - -

Don't get me wrong. It's difficult to find candidates in Down football, Let alone outstanding candidates. We've long bemoaned the absence of a genuine centre half-back or a full-back in our county set-up; which in itself suggests a lack of leaders. Our SFC has been monopolised for over a decade by a couple of men who for some reason, don't fit the pattern. Our juvenile structures are a mess, so a succession of minor and under-21 managers have found it tough going. QUB and the Poly appear to be stuggling to keep up with their cousins in Dublin and Cork.

So the default stance is to look back a generation or two for answers.

But here's the thing, the class of 91 and 94 have spent most of the past two decades passing around the better club jobs in Down football among themselves. Their combined success rate now is roughly the same as it was when they started out.

Using the criteria above, Wee James was by some distance the best of them, and this was proven out in how he performed as Down manager. It was no coincidence.

Unless we're going back for McCartan, It's time to stop drawing from this well.

The modern county player is asked to put in an extraordinary amount of effort to play the game. As such they fundamentally require a belief in the man who is overseeing the ship. They need to believe that he will bring the 2% that makes all the difference. If not his ship will sink: to which the strikes and fallouts in Mayo and Galway are testament.

Remember that most of our county players have never seen any of the 91-94 team actually kick a ball. Much as it might seem heinous to some people in our county, I imagine that being good at foootall once is not actually going to convince too many modern players that the 2% is coming.

The ironic thing is we actually had a manger en situ just a few months ago who actually had that impact.

Aristo 60

Still no manager in Mayo. What an absolute shambles out west  ;D

delgany

New directive  by central council is that it is desirable that inter county managers have a level3(  could be 2) qualification. Perhaps this has had an impa ct.

wobbller

Quote from: delgany on October 27, 2015, 08:21:05 PM
New directive  by central council is that it is desirable that inter county managers have a level3(  could be 2) qualification. Perhaps this has had an impa ct.
It's been a Croke Park rule that Managers don't get paid so something coming out from Croke that uses the. word 'desirable' will hardly cause a stir in Clubs or Counties

Square Ball

Don't think we can draw them in the Championship next year line ball. Will they not be in the SFC and we're in the IFC? Pity about Jody, I was in the running to take over from him  :o
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Leonardo

I agree with wobblers points on picking a manager. Go through them new by one
Overachievers - not many though I feel the Glenn management can be included in this category. Excellent achievement to get promoted alone, never mind staying in the Division. Anyone else come to mind?
Championship winners - I mentioned a few names previously and I think most have been dismissed
Minors etc - not much success there either, but my own opinion is that our manager should come from someone who has been involved with the underage and grows with the team similar to Harte and O' Sullivan. I know we haven't had success, but at least the coaches know what they are working with
Background in coaching - probably same as last point
County colours - agree with this. I don't think a club manager could handle a county team if he never played at county level. Unless he had a trainer with this experience

Eamonn ticks a few of the above boxes.

I still would have preferred Dawson, but now that he's gone, I would throw Cathal Murray into the mix. No particular reason other than I enjoyed watching the college teams he has been involved with. Probably needs to get the Minor or U 21 job first on his CV

imagine

Quote from: Leonardo on October 27, 2015, 10:53:14 PM
I agree with wobblers points on picking a manager. Go through them new by one
Overachievers - not many though I feel the Glenn management can be included in this category. Excellent achievement to get promoted alone, never mind staying in the Division. Anyone else come to mind?
Championship winners - I mentioned a few names previously and I think most have been dismissed
Minors etc - not much success there either, but my own opinion is that our manager should come from someone who has been involved with the underage and grows with the team similar to Harte and O' Sullivan. I know we haven't had success, but at least the coaches know what they are working with
Background in coaching - probably same as last point
County colours - agree with this. I don't think a club manager could handle a county team if he never played at county level. Unless he had a trainer with this experience

Eamonn ticks a few of the above boxes.

I still would have preferred Dawson, but now that he's gone, I would throw Cathal Murray into the mix. No particular reason other than I enjoyed watching the college teams he has been involved with. Probably needs to get the Minor or U 21 job first on his CV
I don't agree with this point. We'll see who Mayo appoint for their next Manager. Eamon Burns is someone which is better than we've had this last 10 weeks which was no one.

EIREANNACH

Ultimately the new manager needs to be someone that will be a draw for the best players countrywide (or most of them). I know that there are several players who for one reason or another do not take up the invite to join the county set up. These reasons also need to be looked at to see if they can be reasonably accomodated.
Down Gaa 2015 Championship Predictions League 3rd place 2015

wobbller

Quote from: EIREANNACH on October 28, 2015, 09:51:37 AM
Ultimately the new manager needs to be someone that will be a draw for the best players countrywide (or most of them). I know that there are several players who for one reason or another do not take up the invite to join the county set up. These reasons also need to be looked at to see if they can be reasonably accomodated.
I think we're only allowed players from Down. ;D

DownFanatic

Expectations for Down seniors aren't exactly high among the supporting public for 2016. Very few would give us hope of retaining Div 1 status or beating Monaghan in Clones in the championship.
There seems to be a lot of criticism directed towards our county executive stemming from the McCorry mess and the appointment of a new manager.
But what difference does appointing a manager this week compared to a month ago make? Surely it was better to make a considered appointment now rather than rush in and appoint the wrong man just for the sake of getting the position filled. We can guess and second guess about the whole process but ultimately very few actually know what has been going on behind closed doors.
The county have been very quiet in terms of PR in regards to the new manager and it has been a long time since I've seen as much rumour and hearsay attached to an inter county job.
If Burns gets the gig then there is no doubt that he will command the respect of the players. Hopefully he can gel the whole thing together again and bring a few players back in from the cold.
Expectations aren't high and this just might lend itself to a more positive outcome than people are expecting.

EIREANNACH

Quote from: EIREANNACH on October 28, 2015, 09:51:37 AM

Meant countywide but thanks for pointing that error out for those that are confused.

Although you may have hit on something there....
Down Gaa 2015 Championship Predictions League 3rd place 2015