Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

southtyronegael

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 17, 2020, 11:45:06 AM
Angelo there are many far more competitive games in the hurling. Unlike the football we don't know up front who is going to win it. Also as Jc said the earlier games are more competitive. Football early on bar a game or two in Ulster is basically a dance in preparation for the big stuff.

The most obsessed with Micky Harte are two particular boys from Tyrone in the Tyrone thread. It's actually pretty unhealthy and brings out a bit of nastiness.

Yes joe brolly is a bit of a gobshite but as usual you have went a bit far ;D
you Talkin about me? Lol

Angelo

Angelo there are many far more competitive games in the hurling. Unlike the football we don't know up front who is going to win it. Also as Jc said the earlier games are more competitive. Football early on bar a game or two in Ulster is basically a dance in preparation for the big stuff.

The most obsessed with Micky Harte are two particular boys from Tyrone in the Tyrone thread. It's actually pretty unhealthy and brings out a bit of nastiness.

They might be competitive games but its proliferation, it's just repetition. Had the result in one of the hurling semi finals went the other way last year we would have had Tipp and Limerick meeting in Championship for the third time in 3 months or Kilkenny and Wexford meeting in Championship in 3 months. I don't find the game engaging, I think its flogged to death and the competition pool is shallow.

GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Angelo

Quote from: screenexile on January 17, 2020, 11:42:10 AM

It's good to see Tyronies obsessing over Brolly he lives rent free in your head!!

Now would be the point where I ask where I defended him... I didn't!

He's wrong of course he's wrong on this but lets not pretend he's the only person ever to make a U turn as you sit up on your high horse judging because he's told a few home truths about Tyrone over the years.

You should read John 8:7

You're defending him and obsessing on here about Mickey Harte (on a Joe Brolly thread discussing a Joe Brolly matter) when you're doing it.

The sad think about you Derry lads is that you're not even bright enough to realise when ye are contradicting yourselves

imtommygunn

The football competition pool is shallow now too. Both the same in that regard. Only Dublin will win and only Kerry, Tyrone or mayo(and probably not for much longer) will get anywhere near them. In football sure you could meet three times too but with the super eights twice is going to happen a lot so those criticisms are the same for both really.

Each to their own with what you are interested in but most of your criticisms of hurling could be applied to football too.

Angelo

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 17, 2020, 12:28:35 PM
The football competition pool is shallow now too. Both the same in that regard. Only Dublin will win and only Kerry, Tyrone or mayo(and probably not for much longer) will get anywhere near them. In football sure you could meet three times too but with the super eights twice is going to happen a lot so those criticisms are the same for both really.

Each to their own with what you are interested in but most of your criticisms of hurling could be applied to football too.

It depends on the metrics you measure it.

Hurling doesn't have a Dublin to contend with, they don't have a county with by far the biggest population on the island, where the sport is huge, is being heavily bankrolled and prioritised by the governing organisation, who play all their Championship games on their de facto home ground.

Hurling in Dublin is an afterthought, pretty much all their best players go for football.

I vehemently oppose the Super 8s as I think they make a mockery of the Championship and turn it into a farce and if the Super 8s make a mockery on the football, it's only minuscule in what the restructured hurling championship makes of it.

imtommygunn

Hurling in Dublin is pretty strong. Yes it comes second but it's not bad. They have won Leinster and one year they wouldn't have been far off the best in Ireland.

The metrics were shallow pool and repetition. Dublin are way stronger but there are still limited teams capable of competing at the top level in football. It's a shallow pool in both. It can get repetitive in both.

I would agree on the super 8s. The super 8s and the Munster hurling layout are both things I would not be in favour of.

Angelo

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 17, 2020, 01:22:16 PM
Hurling in Dublin is pretty strong. Yes it comes second but it's not bad. They have won Leinster and one year they wouldn't have been far off the best in Ireland.

The metrics were shallow pool and repetition. Dublin are way stronger but there are still limited teams capable of competing at the top level in football. It's a shallow pool in both. It can get repetitive in both.

I would agree on the super 8s. The super 8s and the Munster hurling layout are both things I would not be in favour of.

Hurling in Dublin is pretty strong? About as strong as it is in Mayo or Tyrone in relative terms. It has about 14 times the population of these counties and has impacted as strongly on the hurling Championship as someone like Wexford would have on the football Championship.

I wouldn't agree with that at all, take Dublin out of the mix and I don't think there's a whole pile to choose from the top 10/12 counties, last year was quite competitive in the Super 8s Dublin aside.

Roscommon and Cork tested Tyrone.
Meath held their own for the majority of all their games.
Armagh nearly pipped Mayo.
Derry gave Tyrone a bit of a scare in Ulster.

What last year proved to us is Dublin are still way ahead of the rest but the third tier counties (eg Roscommon, Cork, Meath, Armagh etc) were able to close the gap on the second tier counties (Kerry, Tyrone, Donegal, Mayo etc).

johnnycool

Quote from: Angelo on January 17, 2020, 12:23:27 PM

They might be competitive games but its proliferation, it's just repetition. Had the result in one of the hurling semi finals went the other way last year we would have had Tipp and Limerick meeting in Championship for the third time in 3 months or Kilkenny and Wexford meeting in Championship in 3 months. I don't find the game engaging, I think its flogged to death and the competition pool is shallow.

In the last 10 years there's been 5 different AI hurling champions. Include Cork and Waterford who've reached AI finals and hence have been competitive enough to get to the final.

There's 7 out of the 10 teams involved in the Liam McCarthy and whilst they can play each other in the round robin, Munster/Leinster finals and then semi-finals/finals it's actually a even enough split that the outcomes are different. E.G. Tipp beat Limerick in the RR but Limerick beat them in the Munster final..

In the last 10 years there's been 4 different AI football winners, and another three counties who've made it to the final, Down, Tyrone and Mayo. so being kind the competition pool is every bit as shallow in the football as hurling.

Allowing 30 odd teams to "compete" for the AI football final is just an illusion and leads to one sided hammerings which the viewing public have turned away from.

Us from counties involved with hurling further down the scale don't live in cloud cuckoo land like the footballers in the vast majority of counties.

Angelo

Quote from: johnnycool on January 17, 2020, 01:55:10 PM

In the last 10 years there's been 5 different AI hurling champions. Include Cork and Waterford who've reached AI finals and hence have been competitive enough to get to the final.

There's 7 out of the 10 teams involved in the Liam McCarthy and whilst they can play each other in the round robin, Munster/Leinster finals and then semi-finals/finals it's actually a even enough split that the outcomes are different. E.G. Tipp beat Limerick in the RR but Limerick beat them in the Munster final..

In the last 10 years there's been 4 different AI football winners, and another three counties who've made it to the final, Down, Tyrone and Mayo. so being kind the competition pool is every bit as shallow in the football as hurling.

Allowing 30 odd teams to "compete" for the AI football final is just an illusion and leads to one sided hammerings which the viewing public have turned away from.

Us from counties involved with hurling further down the scale don't live in cloud cuckoo land like the footballers in the vast majority of counties.

The difference is the GAA created a monster in Dublin GAA that no other county can match it in football. Prior to this you had counties like Wexford and Fermanagh in All Ireland semi finals. You had counties like Sligo well able to put it up to any team in the country, you had Laois and Westmeath clinching provincial glory.

The GAA has created a monster in Dublin GAA, if there was a hurling county with a 1.5m population and it was bankrolled by the GAA you'd have more severe issues in hurling than football.

I look at football now, I don't see it any less healthy in Ulster and Connacht. Munster is a joke like it has always been, it's a hurling province with one football county and it's always been a procession for Kerry, always.

Leinster football is where the real damage has occurred. The growth of Dublin has killed off the other counties.

bannside

Aye always a procession for Kerry in Munster, as in like, always.

Except the five times in the last 18 years its been won by Cork, and over 30 times in total. No procession in those years and it wont be next year either!

johnnycool

Quote from: Angelo on January 17, 2020, 02:11:17 PM

The difference is the GAA created a monster in Dublin GAA that no other county can match it in football. Prior to this you had counties like Wexford and Fermanagh in All Ireland semi finals. You had counties like Sligo well able to put it up to any team in the country, you had Laois and Westmeath clinching provincial glory.

The GAA has created a monster in Dublin GAA, if there was a hurling county with a 1.5m population and it was bankrolled by the GAA you'd have more severe issues in hurling than football.

I look at football now, I don't see it any less healthy in Ulster and Connacht. Munster is a joke like it has always been, it's a hurling province with one football county and it's always been a procession for Kerry, always.

Leinster football is where the real damage has occurred. The growth of Dublin has killed off the other counties.

That's hardly hurlings fault.

Angelo

Quote from: bannside on January 17, 2020, 02:39:56 PM
Aye always a procession for Kerry in Munster, as in like, always.

Except the five times in the last 18 years its been won by Cork, and over 30 times in total. No procession in those years and it wont be next year either!

No county has won provincial titles more than Kerry have won Munster. They have 81 provincial titles, that's more than the combined amount of the other 5 Munster counties who stand at 50 as a cumulative total.

Clare in 1992 are the only county to have a Munster football championship outside of Kerry and Cork in the past 85 years.

If the Munster football has not been a procession historically then you must not know the meaning of the word.

Angelo

Quote from: johnnycool on January 17, 2020, 02:45:32 PM

Hurling's problem is its limited popularity in terms of playing numbers.

Luckily for them there is agenda by the free state's national broadcaster and the media to shove it down people's throats, just like rugby. I don't really care for it, I don't find incredibly exciting or skillful.

The issue for football is the GAA's handling of Dublin GAA, how they let it get out of hand and how little that has been done to tackle it.

As a population base, it is far, far too big. Splitting it into three teams is the only solution, changing the rules with black cards, sin bins, marks, advanced marks, kicking tees, limiting hand passes, two referees, reducing to 13 a side won't change a thing and only damages the game itself.

They need to tackle the inequality of the Championship - namely Dublin and the rest.

johnnycool

Quote from: Angelo on January 17, 2020, 02:52:07 PM

Luckily for them there is agenda by the free state's national broadcaster and the media to shove it down people's throats, just like rugby. I don't really care for it, I don't find incredibly exciting or skillful.

The issue for football is the GAA's handling of Dublin GAA, how they let it get out of hand and how little that has been done to tackle it.

As a population base, it is far, far too big. Splitting it into three teams is the only solution, changing the rules with black cards, sin bins, marks, advanced marks, kicking tees, limiting hand passes, two referees, reducing to 13 a side won't change a thing and only damages the game itself.

They need to tackle the inequality of the Championship - namely Dublin and the rest.

Ah here now, away and behave yourself.

Angelo

Quote from: johnnycool on January 17, 2020, 02:54:15 PM
Quote from: Angelo on January 17, 2020, 02:52:07 PM

Ah here now, away and behave yourself.

If you don't like the facts then so be it.