Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Last Man

Quote from: johnnycool on April 16, 2018, 12:21:03 PM
What's the story with Antrim U17's in the Celtic Challenge?

Is this a development squad with the bigger effort going into the Leinster championship at U18?
Very hard to get our best U17 players to take it seriously, when they will be on the u18 team anyway. Not sure why it appears to be more of a problem in Antrim but going by own young fellas experience at this grade albeit a couple of years ago, it would be fairly negative.

johnnycool

Quote from: Last Man on April 16, 2018, 01:15:12 PM

Is this a development squad with the bigger effort going into the Leinster championship at U18?
Very hard to get our best U17 players to take it seriously, when they will be on the u18 team anyway. Not sure why it appears to be more of a problem in Antrim but going by own young fellas experience at this grade albeit a couple of years ago, it would be fairly negative.

Are they two separate management structures for the two teams?

In Down it's the one and the same with quite a large overlap anyway in terms of players.

Last Man

Not sure tbh but I'd say it's much the same, what minor manager is going to say if you don't show for the U17s you will be gassed for the minors. Just won't happen.

Pjoe

I think Antrim are playing an u16 squad in the competition.  Antrim are a "graded county" therefore minor panelists are not eligible to play in the Celtic Challenge.

The following is taken from the Operations Manual:

Involvement in the County Minor Hurling Panel
Players who are on the Inter-County Minor Hurling Panel in the following Counties are not eligible to participate in this competition: Antrim; Down; Carlow; Clare; Cork; Dublin; Galway; Kilkenny; Kildare; Laois; Limerick; Meath; Offaly; Tipperary; Waterford; Westmeath; Wexford.
A player will be deemed to be on the Inter-County Minor Hurling Panel if he is one of the 24 named match day players for the Provincial Minor Hurling Championships.

breakingball

yes. Antrim are playing their u16 hurlers in celtic challenge. u17 playing in leinster

johnnycool

Quote from: breakingball on April 16, 2018, 03:00:39 PM

yes. Antrim are playing their u16 hurlers in celtic challenge. u17 playing in leinster

That makes more sense, although what Pjoe is saying mustn't be strictly true as I know of a few of our U17 lads who play on that Celtic challenge team are also part of the U17 minor team in the lower level Grade 3 in Leinster.

Down just wouldn't have the playing pool to not play without the U17's in the Celtic Challenge and even then I think the lad doing goals for the U17's was playing U14 last year if facebook is anything to go by.

Pjoe

Yes I had heard Down were playing Minors even though they too are graded.  Could be an interesting situation they find themselves in with regard to the regulations.

johnnycool

Quote from: Pjoe on April 16, 2018, 06:04:27 PM
Yes I had heard Down were playing Minors even though they too are graded.  Could be an interesting situation they find themselves in with regard to the regulations.

Yip,
Down management first year in the job made a balls allegedly and will do well to not get booted out.

Last Man

If they were told then yes that wouldn't be on.

johnnycool

Quote from: Last Man on April 17, 2018, 09:24:38 AM
If they were told then yes that wouldn't be on.

I don't think it was intentional, I just think the young lad in the job this year didn't understand the rules properly. Probably should have been explained to him better by someone on the payroll if you know what I mean.

TBH even if they do get kept in the Celtic Challenge they're now far too highly graded for the team that they'll have to put in it as all the Celtic Challenge games are on the same days as they're playing in Leinster.
Even better, it will make Down have to take in a bigger expanse of players who otherwise would be cast aside as not suitable and proper development can be done.

I thought there was something amiss  ;)

Pjoe

I think the management team might have been made aware prior to the first game, but perhaps decided to go ahead anyway.  Maybe go caught up in the possibility of "bright lights of success" and the chance to win. 

The whole concept behind the Celtic Challenge is to give all players - particularly on the fringes of minor squads the opportunity to compete at inter county level.  With the 2 year gap between the then U16 and U18 (minor) competitions a significant amount of players were getting lost.  However, with minor now at U17 this has changed the situation.

johnnycool

Quote from: Pjoe on April 17, 2018, 10:15:13 AM
I think the management team might have been made aware prior to the first game, but perhaps decided to go ahead anyway.  Maybe go caught up in the possibility of "bright lights of success" and the chance to win. 

The whole concept behind the Celtic Challenge is to give all players - particularly on the fringes of minor squads the opportunity to compete at inter county level.  With the 2 year gap between the then U16 and U18 (minor) competitions a significant amount of players were getting lost.  However, with minor now at U17 this has changed the situation.

I was giving the lad the benefit of the doubt, but you could be right as some of the coaches involved would have know right enough. Whether that feel on deaf ears is another story.
I don't know the lad in question personally.

old timers

Quote from: johnnycool on April 17, 2018, 10:34:14 AM

I was giving the lad the benefit of the doubt, but you could be right as some of the coaches involved would have know right enough. Whether that feel on deaf ears is another story.

When Down played Antrim in the Celtic Challenge at Easter time they played most, if not all, of their U17 panel.  It was mentioned previously that they are a County that was not supposed to be doing that.  I would say that the Antrim team got more out of the match playing against a side that were physically stronger and older than them. Lessons gained, hopefully. I just cant understand Down's reasoning behind this.  Whilst they topped their league its not really a true reflection.

johnnycool

Quote from: old timers on April 18, 2018, 12:57:44 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on April 17, 2018, 10:34:14 AM

When Down played Antrim in the Celtic Challenge at Easter time they played most, if not all, of their U17 panel.  It was mentioned previously that they are a County that was not supposed to be doing that.  I would say that the Antrim team got more out of the match playing against a side that were physically stronger and older than them. Lessons gained, hopefully. I just cant understand Down's reasoning behind this.  Whilst they topped their league its not really a true reflection.

I'd agree with that and hence I smelled a rat.

TBH I don't think Down would have enough hurlers to put out an U17 team and an U16 team on the same day and if they did it would be a very young U16 team and will get walloped right left and centre down in Abbotstown especially if using the gradings to date!

I don't think reasoning comes into it with some lads and my little bit of research on the management for the current U17's suggests as much!

Down Coaching and Development are very quiet on this one.

ciaran1988

Boylesports have betting up for the club championship

Cushendall   11/8
Loughgiel     6/4
Dunloy.        9/2
Ballycastle   13/2
Rossa          25/1
Sarsfield.     33/1
St Johns      50/1

Surprised to see Dunloy at such a big price and Ballycastle are definitely too short