Death Notices

Started by Armagh4SamAgain, April 05, 2007, 03:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silky

He'll always be the voice of rugby for me. RIP Bill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qgytaTDGeg

Dinny Breen

very sad to hear about Bill McLaren, he was indeed the voice of rugby..may he rest in peace
#newbridgeornowhere

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

pintsofguinness

QuoteIn a statement, a company spokeswoman said: "Casper touched many people's lives and clearly had a very exciting life - travelling around Plymouth and who knows where else.

"I suspect he's now exploring heaven and is telling all the other cats up there about the many adventures he had."

Now, I'm an animal lover but....well I've no words  :-\

It's a very nice story about the cat but worthy of the bbc news?  and btw, how did they know what stop he wanted off at??
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: Silky on January 19, 2010, 06:16:23 PM
He'll always be the voice of rugby for me. RIP Bill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qgytaTDGeg
I remember back in the 80s when RTE's coverage used to drop out mid match, it was always a treat when they had to switch over to the BBC feed and we'd have Bill commentating instead.

He came from the Cyril Farrell school of analysing rough play. A player getting decapitated was "a bit of argy bargy"!  ;D

Trevor Hill

RIP Bill McLaren, the voice of rugby.

longrunsthefox

Legend alright... is no characters like that now apart from Micheal O Muircheartaigh and yer man does the darts. Are all like plain voices like George Hamilton and Ger Canning etc...

Famous Bill McLaren quotes:
"I'm no hod carrier but I'd be laying bricks if he was running at me." (in reference to Jonah Lomu)

"It's high enough, it's long enough and it's straight enough!!!"

"The All Blacks that day looked like great prophets of doom."

"He's as quick as a trout up a burn."

"That one was a bit inebriated - just like one of my golf shots."

"Those props are as cunning as a bag o' weasels."

"He's like a demented ferret up a wee drainpipe."

"He's like a raging bull with a bad head."

On Phil Bennett: "They say down at Stradey that if ever you catch him you get to make a wish."

On Grant Batty: "He plays like a runaway bullet."

"A day out of Hawick is a day wasted."

And it's a try by Hika the hooker from Ngongotaha (Wales v New Zealand 1980).

"I've hardly ever had to pay to get in (the best thing in his view about 50 years of commentary at rugby matches)."

Sandino

As an older poster here I was sadden to read this item on the BBC website.

British film actress Jean Simmons, who played Ophelia in Laurence Olivier's Hamlet and sang with Marlon Brando in Guys and Dolls, has died aged 80.

She was stunningly beautiful in the Origional Spartacus and she also appeared in the Thornbirds.

Many she Rest In Peace.

"You can go proudly. You are history. You are legend''

quit yo jibbajabba

did yer man mclaren always come out with "and they'll be dancin in the streets of glasgow/cardiff/dublin tonight" etc depending on who had won a big important match....

or have i jus created that from my youthful memory?  :-[

Hoof Hearted

yep that was him. It made sense, unlike the commentator, upon Raith ROvers beating Celtic in the League Cup Final, saying that they will be dancing in the streets of Raith tonight. Ofcourse there is no such place
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

muppet

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on January 23, 2010, 01:53:37 PM
yep that was him. It made sense, unlike the commentator, upon Raith ROvers beating Celtic in the League Cup Final, saying that they will be dancing in the streets of Raith tonight. Ofcourse there is no such place

It would be like saying 'they will be dancing in the streets of Derry tonight'. Of course there is no hope because Derry people can't dance.
MWWSI 2017

Hoof Hearted

your as bad as that commentator, there is no such place as Derry either !
Thought i would get that in there before my mates from Antrim and Tyrone strike !
and yes i do have mates (not many though) ;D
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Sandino

Is that not a Sid Wadell quote from a darts match?
"You can go proudly. You are history. You are legend''

5 Sams

Quote from: Sandino on January 23, 2010, 12:15:16 PM
As an older poster here I was sadden to read this item on the BBC website.

British film actress Jean Simmons, who played Ophelia in Laurence Olivier's Hamlet and sang with Marlon Brando in Guys and Dolls, has died aged 80.

She was stunningly beautiful in the Origional Spartacus and she also appeared in the Thornbirds.

Many she Rest In Peace.

RIP indeed...You'd wonder how she found time to sing in thon band :P
The Aristocrat Years

Minder

Former South Africa flanker Ruben Kruger has died from brain cancer at the age of 39.
Kruger was a key member of the side that won the World Cup on home soil in 1995, scoring a try in the semi-final against France in Durban.
He was named his country's player of the year that season.
"Ruben was the epitome of the Springbok flanker; tough and with an outstanding work ethic," saidSouth African Rugby Union president Oregan Hoskins.
"When Ruben was on the field you always knew that the Springboks would not be beaten without a tremendous battle.
"Our prayers have been with him through his battles against illness and it is very sad to hear of his early passing.
"Our thoughts are with his young family and we extend to them our sincerest condolences."
The ex-Cheetahs and Bulls forward, who passed away in a Pretoria hospital late on Wednesday, earned 36 Springbok caps after making his debut in 1993 against Argentina in Buenos Aires.
He played in the 1995 World Cup final against New Zealand - a game immortalised by Nelson Mandela's appearance in a Springbok jersey.
Kruger picked up a serious leg injury against the All Blacks in 1997 and only returned to the Springbok squad for the 1999 World Cup, which would be his swansong because of knee injuries.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"