Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Seanie hill repeats a great workout - key thing about them is not to worry too much about speed. Maintaining form throughout them more important - i.e. keep your posture and keep the knees driving etc. You'll get most benefit out of them when you focus on that.

Well done Don. Was that lisburn?(Not sure where you're from so might be far from the mark!)

magpie seanie

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 21, 2018, 09:00:04 AM
Seanie hill repeats a great workout - key thing about them is not to worry too much about speed. Maintaining form throughout them more important - i.e. keep your posture and keep the knees driving etc. You'll get most benefit out of them when you focus on that.

Well done Don. Was that lisburn?(Not sure where you're from so might be far from the mark!)

Cheers. Might have gone a bit quick at them the first night.....was a bit sore yesterday but a nice relaxed run last night has eased me out a bit. I've never done hill repeats since I took up running (despite meaning to several times)....interesting to see the impact they may have. Must say I'm going through a phase of really enjoying my running again which I thought had left me for good in the last couple of years.

No1

2019 Belfast Marathon moved to the Sunday before the Bank Holiday in May and a proposed new route (taking out Antrim Road and Duncrue).

https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/news/belfast-news/belfast-city-marathon-route-day-14838123

A good move for everyone and about time!

imtommygunn

Some great results in the euro u18 with three golds and a silver for ireland.

Healy looks like a good one and would probably have won 800 gold too had she competed in it. She has already beat mageean in the 800 this year so looks like she already is irish number one at 800 and 1500 at this stage.

Good wee video following sonia watching her daughter's race.

laoislad

Seen that video also. Thought it was great alright.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Don Johnson

Anyone know the route for this GymCo Feile 10k in a couple weeks?

https://athleticsni.org/Fixtures/GymCo-Feile-10K

illdecide

Went out on Sunday morning for a small run, first time in about 5 years running and i have to say it was tough. I had the sense to not go too far first time out but only done 2 1/2 miles and it was bad. My leg muscles after run didn't know what had hit them and still sore today, i ran slow enough (eight and a half minute miles) but could't believe how hard the leg muscles got it.

I played football all my life until 8 years ago and took up cycling 4 years ago, wouldn't think twice about cycling 100 miles so am fit enough but couldn't believe what a 2 1/2 mile jog done to me...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

The Bearded One

The first couple of times you run after such a break will be a real shock to the body. I am seasonal runner - could spend 4 or 5 months running regularly then 5 or 6 months not at all - the first week or two when I start back is pretty brutal on the whole system but it gets easier (not the running, the recovery). Keep at it, nothing like a few miles to clear the head (and lungs).
It is what it is. Presumably.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: illdecide on July 17, 2018, 10:21:48 AM
Went out on Sunday morning for a small run, first time in about 5 years running and i have to say it was tough. I had the sense to not go too far first time out but only done 2 1/2 miles and it was bad. My leg muscles after run didn't know what had hit them and still sore today, i ran slow enough (eight and a half minute miles) but could't believe how hard the leg muscles got it.

I played football all my life until 8 years ago and took up cycling 4 years ago, wouldn't think twice about cycling 100 miles so am fit enough but couldn't believe what a 2 1/2 mile jog done to me...

Cycling is for poofs
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

illdecide

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 17, 2018, 11:17:22 AM

Cycling is for poofs

Guess that makes me a poof then, that's not very nice.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: illdecide on July 17, 2018, 11:27:14 AM

Cycling is for poofs

In saying that I couldn't just get on my bike and do 100 miles! But it's easier on the body exercise to running!! I've ran a few days here on holiday and was busted but it was the heat! 

Running is an all over work out, ive a few friends who would spin 4 nights a week and do 100 miles on Saturday and a Sunday, they ain't small around the waist either!

I've taken them out of their comfort zone a few times to a hiit class and punctured is an understatement... so the point is mix it up, don't be a poof  ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

lurganblue

Making a return for the reserve final?

illdecide

Correct, I've two weeks to get my mojo back. Need to stop being a poof and start taking people out of the game again (have missed dishing out a bit of pain)

illdecide

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 17, 2018, 11:43:00 AM

Cycling is for poofs

In saying that I couldn't just get on my bike and do 100 miles! But it's easier on the body exercise to running!! I've ran a few days here on holiday and was busted but it was the heat! 

Running is an all over work out, ive a few friends who would spin 4 nights a week and do 100 miles on Saturday and a Sunday, they ain't small around the waist either!

I've taken them out of their comfort zone a few times to a hiit class and punctured is an understatement... so the point is mix it up, don't be a poof  ;)

In fairness i have seen quite a few guys that need to eat less as they're stretching their Lycra beyond it's capabilities. I think you see a few more fat cyclists because they can get away with it easier on a bike than trying to run when over weight.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: illdecide on July 17, 2018, 12:30:23 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 17, 2018, 11:43:00 AM

Cycling is for poofs

In fairness i have seen quite a few guys that need to eat less as they're stretching their Lycra beyond it's capabilities. I think you see a few more fat cyclists because they can get away with it easier on a bike than trying to run when over weight.

I've noticed over years doing triathlons that in sprint ones the heavier guys were beating me by 10/15 minutes, decent swimmers but great on the bike, so by the time I'd got off the bike to run they probably about a mile to run while I had to run over 3!

The longer races they gained even more time on the bike over a greater distance, but I was managing to catch up with them before the end of the run! But as you say, can't put train the diet!

Good luck if you're back playing, fitness is one thing but taking the hits and tackles is another thing!