The future of laois hurling

Started by Tobias, October 27, 2015, 08:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spiritof1915

Its my firm belief that no parent unless your in the calibre of Dj Carey should be over county squads. Its obvious that youll have allegiances to your own flesh and blood. Thats grand at club level but not at county.

In addition tell me another county where  2 parents with no coaching experience and no people skills apparently are allowed take over development squads because their young lads show promise at u13. .
What is the criteria for getting involved.
Also this manager had a closed shop for trials since 2015 with this team and look how that worked out for him last saturday. Players that could of been developing at IC standard for 2 years where denied. After 15 mins he brought off a corner back and replaced him with the corner forward. Are you telling me that he had no one else in mind to play as a corner back. Some kick up in the hole for the rest of the backs in the squad training so hard for 11 months.

As regards the vendettas he didnt even have young Murphy in a panel of 45 when he named it last november. And to make it worse i have since found out he marked the shite out off the offaly No 13 who done all the damage on Saturday in a schools A1 leinster final for johnstown against birr last October. Also young costigan from Rathdowney wasnt picked because he had words with his referee father at a schools match.
So to answer your question - both

Quote from: Zooming around on October 19, 2020, 05:06:15 PM
Quote from: Spiritof1915 on October 17, 2020, 04:05:20 PM
I said it before and ill say it again. When will the county board realise that parents with young lads on the team and over county teams/development squads is a complete disaster.  We need to be looking at fresh former players or people with the profile of derek mcgrath who have no club bias or agendas behind them. I know it didnt affect the game today but the last 4 years have ultimately been brutal with the talent available. The talent is there in laois but needs proper development. Not sold to the highest bidder as was the case this year.
This years manager left out 2 of the best prosects that i know off over personal squabbles or vendettas. Would that happen in any other serious hurling county.
Young stephen murphy from The harps was the best full back by a country mile in this years club championship and marked offaly danger man Luke carey off the field i believe in a leinster final for johnstown against birr earlier this year. But because he left the panel at u14 of his own accord the laois manager refused to put him on the panel this year.

Can I just clarify. You say they shouldn't have been picked as mentors because they are parents. Then you give out about them leaving off lads because of "personal squabbles or vendettas". Which is it? What was the problem with the fact that they are parents?

To me, the whole blame lies with Derek McGrath. He is a complete and proven bluffer and the side show surrounding him borders on a circus. His drills are pathetic with nothing less than a million cones dotted all over the pitch. When these lads were younger they played brilliant off the cuff fast delivery hurling and all this has now been undone with over tactical tippy tappy scientific shite.

Two things stood out from a positional sense. Moving Padraig Brennan out of centre back and playing a two man full forward line with two small lads is just stupid.

If the lads over the team had just gotten on with it themselves without McGrath they would have done much better.

Behindthefence

Spiritof1915 while there is alot of validity to a lot of the points you are making...

Again while agree that parents shouldn't be involved with development squads, it is extremely difficult to get any coaches/mentors to take over development squads in Laois. I'm pretty sure Mike Henchy really struggled to find someone for one of the football development squads this year.

To be fair to the County Board, this was not their choice of minor management. This was almost forced on them with the addition of Derek McGrath, as has been mentioned earlier.

Zooming Around, a man with a Harty Cup, Waterford county title, National League title and was a couple of points away from winning an All-Ireland is the sole reason Laois Minors didn't beat Offaly in a first round game??? Are you having a laugh?

Behindthefence

Quote from: Zooming around on October 19, 2020, 05:06:15 PM

To me, the whole blame lies with Derek McGrath.

SpeculativeEffort

The lads on this panel are in a good place still. The talent is there and rather than throwing in the towel after an admittedly poor showing on Saturday now is the time to start working with these players and helping them to bridge the gap from where they are now to senior. Losing a minor game is never the end and it should really be the beginning for these players if handled correctly. County Board should be (in normal times) securing as many 3rd level places as possible for these lads as that is where development happens now after minor. Provide grants or scholarships for those who make Fitzgibbon panels and aim at 10+ Fitzgibbon players each year. It makes a huge difference skill, strength and crucially confidence wise.

burdizzo

Are they going ahead w/ the u20 game tonight?

clonadmad

redsetanta

The game does go ahead this evening however all further games @ U20 will be on hold until we're out of level 5
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

High Fielder

I'd be interested to hear the science/logic behind that. This is the start of this competition right? The U20 football final is due to be played at the weekend. It looks like they're making it up as they go along. Now maybe that's not the case, but that's how it looks

redsetanta

The U20 football final is off as well.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

High Fielder

That was my point RS. How can they start one competition but not let another one finish?

Giovanni

Bacause today is Wednesday and the football was scheduled for Saturday. If Leo been right and midnight meant this morning at 00.01 am, then the hurling would be off too. That's how random all this is.

Like many of you I'm sure, I am non-essential and so is the U-20 All-Ireland final.

High Fielder

In the overall scheme of things, no GAA is essential. But playing tonight and making the teams wait until nearly Christmas for the next round, while not allowing a final to be played Saturday, is nuts. Particularly when inter county is continuing. No joined up thinking here

SpeculativeEffort

Always find it interesting that this board in hopping when we lose and silent when we win.

Good solid win last night. Not much between the 2 teams. Conroy made a good contribution when he came on. Trying to play a lot of carrying and handpassing on a wet night when letting it in and putting opposition under pressure might have served better.

Keyser Söze

Perhaps you are right, but I think the situation means it's quite difficult to get excited about it in any way. The next round (if played at all) is likely to have the status & stature of a Walsh Cup game.
Two evenly matched teams.
Definite areas where Lyons & co will need to look at to avoid a roasting the next day. The substitutes probably made us stronger? I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing?
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

redsetanta

Carlow have been performing well at this grade for the past few years so the win is to be applauded. It was also good to get a result after the hammering of the minors on Saturday. A win is a win and we'll go again in the New Year at some stage.