The future of laois hurling

Started by Tobias, October 27, 2015, 08:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keyser Söze

No disrespect to the outgoing management, but it really did turn out to be a wasted opportunity
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Ogie

Great thread on Twitter about our own recent discussion on Club GDA's on the Coaching the GAAme Twitter account, Colm Crowley details the costs & benefits

clonadmad

Offaly in the process of putting in 6/7 GPO's into clubs in their county

2 clubs there already have a full time GPO

With another ready to be shared by 2 clubs when the schools reopen

They are also looking for an additional 2 GDA's

Westmeath are looking at 5 GPO's

Meanwhile here there's .........................

Spiritof1915

Refreshing to see the Laois county board appoint a vibrant management team for this year's minor hurlers. Not the most competitive panel through the grades but hopefully this management team will maximise their potential.

Zooming around

This is a very good panel who did well at the Tony Forristal. I'd have high expectations of them as they have scoring forwards which are as scarce as hen's teeth. Pity McGrath is still involved. He'll strangle the talent out of them with his systems and sweepers.

clonadmad

Quote from: Zooming around on January 27, 2021, 09:24:29 AM
This is a very good panel who did well at the Tony Forristal. I'd have high expectations of them as they have scoring forwards which are as scarce as hen's teeth. Pity McGrath is still involved. He'll strangle the talent out of them with his systems and sweepers.

The group who made the Tony Forristal semi final were last years team

This group was a lot weaker at that and subsequent ages.

Agree with you on Mcgrath

Keyser Söze

Can't see how having an experienced and successful (colleges, Waterford SHC, League Champions, All Ireland finalists) manager/coach is a bad thing. Ridiculous to be criticising this really. Every other county in the minor championship would be glad to have him involved.
I don't know anything about the manager appointed, but it's his job to manage and ensure we get the best from McGrath's involvement. I believe the players last year were impressed with what he brought.
We are not going to win an AI minor, unlikely we will win a Leinster minor. But some of these players will play Senior for Laois, almost all will play for their club's top team. Exposure to an experienced outside perspective and style cannot be a bad thing for their long term development.
There's more than one way to skin a cat, his usual approach is one. All part of their development.

Zooming around

Quote from: clonadmad on January 27, 2021, 11:07:25 AM

Yeah i knew last years group got to the semi final but I thought this group beat one of Wexford/Limerick and lost narrowly to the other. Lost heavily to Cork alright

clonadmad

Quote from: Zooming around on January 27, 2021, 01:33:06 PM

Yeah i knew last years group got to the semi final but I thought this group beat one of Wexford/Limerick and lost narrowly to the other. Lost heavily to Cork alright

Wexford bet them by 5 points

Cork the eventual winners absolutely pulverized them

They bet Limerick by 3 points

Didnt get out of the group

Keyser Söze

Were they the first teams of Lim/Wex/Cork?

Zooming around

Quote from: clonadmad on January 27, 2021, 02:33:50 PM

So that would be consecutive wins over Limerick in the Tony Forristal. That's not bad going. Limerick are seemingly way ahead of everyone listening to some people

clonadmad

Quote from: Zooming around on January 27, 2021, 04:42:51 PM
Quote from: clonadmad on January 27, 2021, 02:33:50 PM

So that would be consecutive wins over Limerick in the Tony Forristal. That's not bad going. Limerick are seemingly way ahead of everyone listening to some people

Limerick haven't won a minor all ireland since 84, that could change whenever the 2020 season is finished but good nonetheless

IIRC we had a bad afternoon on frees against wexford and possibly deserved to have been a lot closer than what we were

Cork were freakishly big across both squads all of them 6ft and over, that year well able to hurl also

Won both the forristal and sonny walsh that year with their 2 squads

Zooming around

Quote from: Keyser Söze on January 27, 2021, 12:29:56 PM
Can't see how having an experienced and successful (colleges, Waterford SHC, League Champions, All Ireland finalists) manager/coach is a bad thing. Ridiculous to be criticising this really. Every other county in the minor championship would be glad to have him involved.
I don't know anything about the manager appointed, but it's his job to manage and ensure we get the best from McGrath's involvement. I believe the players last year were impressed with what he brought.
We are not going to win an AI minor, unlikely we will win a Leinster minor. But some of these players will play Senior for Laois, almost all will play for their club's top team. Exposure to an experienced outside perspective and style cannot be a bad thing for their long term development.
There's more than one way to skin a cat, his usual approach is one. All part of their development.

It's amazing to think that last year's management got slated for the loss to Offaly, yet the one part of that management most responsible is still part of the new management. His stupid playing style completely restricted a talented bunch who had done well up to him getting involved. He completely changed their style of play with backs trying to attack and good scoring forwards playing as sweepers instead of letting them play their natural game. The only thing he has achieved with this bunch is to turn a 52 point win over Offaly into a big loss. A complete disaster and he should have been fucked out on his ear. If he's that good why do lads who refused to hurl for Waterford under him continue to return to the panel now. A quick listen to him on the Sunday Game confirms what he really is, a complete bluffer.

Keyser Söze

His record and history stands up to scrutiny a little better than other elements of last years management.
The people who were "fucked out" might do well to reflect on their management over the 3-4 years leading up to 2020. It's been covered in detail here before.
I'd take DM's continued involvement over theirs.
From what I've heard, so would the players.