Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gmac

Quote from: sid waddell on March 02, 2021, 12:13:47 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on March 02, 2021, 12:07:44 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on March 02, 2021, 11:37:27 AM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 02, 2021, 11:10:56 AM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on March 02, 2021, 11:07:15 AM
I think there will be big drop off in numbers taking vaccine under 50. Straw poll in office here, 12 people under 50, only 5 taking it. That will probably change when passports are needed etc, the main rational seems to be "if the vulnerable are jabbed why should we worry, its at our own risk, and we all had it anyhow"

Multi jurisdictional, legal minefield. Hugely unlikely to come in, at it's most basic, it could be argued that it coerces people into taking something they don't want to (or, need to, for sake of argument) for their "freedom". Legally its a black hole and you can be completely sure that it will be challenged by various groupings (and backed by just as many too, I suppose).

The pandemic will be long over before that legal war is even started, let alone settled.
Should businesses have the freedom to refuse admission to people who don't get the vaccine?

No
But you're cherry picking US right-wing libertarian logic there

You're advocating denial of freedom to businesses to keep their customers safe

Why should I be forced to sit next to an unvaccinated person on a plane

Where's my freedom there

You don't get on a plane without a passport

You don't get admittance to certain nightclubs based on arbitrary grounds like what you're wearing

If I wore a Celtic jersey, I'm not getting into Lillie's or whatever the exclusive nightclubs were in Dublin pre-March 2020

Society makes these sort of decisions all the time
what do you think the policy should be at the US Mexico border ?
I think anyone who doesn't have a vaccine passport should not be allowed enter and anyone entering illegally should be detained and punished for the potential damage they can cause to the health of legal US residents, you agree surely ?

RedKinght

I think there will be big drop off in numbers taking vaccine under 50. Straw poll in office here, 12 people under 50, only 5 taking it. That will probably change when passports are needed etc, the main rational seems to be "if the vulnerable are jabbed why should we worry, its at our own risk, and we all had it anyhow"

Multi jurisdictional, legal minefield. Hugely unlikely to come in, at it's most basic, it could be argued that it coerces people into taking something they don't want to (or, need to, for sake of argument) for their "freedom". Legally its a black hole and you can be completely sure that it will be challenged by various groupings (and backed by just as many too, I suppose).

The pandemic will be long over before that legal war is even started, let alone settled.
Should businesses have the freedom to refuse admission to people who don't get the vaccine?

No

This is getting into the same sort of territory that Ashers bakery was found in breach of human rights for not baking a cake under religious/ethical beliefs.

If a person does not get a vaccine based on religious/political/ethical beliefs can they be denied a service provided? I'm not a legal expert but I assume that under the current human rights legislation that it would be impossible to deny them.

Angelo

Quote from: Redhand Santa on March 02, 2021, 01:34:57 PM
Quote from: Angelo on March 02, 2021, 01:21:48 PM
A lot of ignorant people here backing a totalitarian society.

Wonder would they feel the same when it's something concerns them.

Let's make pariahs out of smokers so with all the damage they do to society.

That's a good point - imagine banning smokers from smoking inside in public buildings because they can damage other peoples health. Oh wait....

That's a half measure. How about ye ban smoking completely and issue fines any penalties to anyone smoking in any outdoor public space too.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

johnnycool

Quote from: Angelo on March 02, 2021, 02:16:41 PM
Quote from: Redhand Santa on March 02, 2021, 01:34:57 PM
Quote from: Angelo on March 02, 2021, 01:21:48 PM
A lot of ignorant people here backing a totalitarian society.

Wonder would they feel the same when it's something concerns them.

Let's make pariahs out of smokers so with all the damage they do to society.

That's a good point - imagine banning smokers from smoking inside in public buildings because they can damage other peoples health. Oh wait....

That's a half measure. How about ye ban smoking completely and issue fines any penalties to anyone smoking in any outdoor public space too.

I'd be all on for that.

If you want to kill yourself you can do it in the privacy of your own home, but don't be trying to kill me in the process.

trailer

Quote from: RedKinght on March 02, 2021, 02:16:06 PM

No

This is getting into the same sort of territory that Ashers bakery was found in breach of human rights for not baking a cake under religious/ethical beliefs.

If a person does not get a vaccine based on religious/political/ethical beliefs can they be denied a service provided? I'm not a legal expert but I assume that under the current human rights legislation that it would be impossible to deny them.

I'd imagine it might require a law change but a lot of those laws will have a catch all clause relating to either public health or security etc and could potentially be enforced under that. Interestingly Article 11 of the UK human rights act is: Freedom of assembly and association. So I wouldn't pin all my hopes on the human rights act.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 02, 2021, 11:58:37 AM

Why not? I suppose everyone has the "right" to choose who they do business with, everyone has the right to oppose threat to their health (how they perceive it) But how do you police it?

I'm not anti vaccine passport, I'm just thinking out loud I suppose. I see this as very much like the airports - probably something that should be done, but unlikely to gain the necessary demand.

So I don't allow people into my branch unless they sanitize their hands and wear a mask. I'm I being a Nazi?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bennydorano

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 02, 2021, 02:11:08 PM
Stormont have agreed the roadmap.

1545 apparently....tune in for the most vague and complete bland wishy washy nonsense you can muster.
No guideline dates attached so they can ride 2 or 3 horses. Smurfy ain't gonna like this

quit yo jibbajabba

Quote from: bennydorano on March 02, 2021, 02:30:04 PM

1545 apparently....tune in for the most vague and complete bland wishy washy nonsense you can muster.
No guideline dates attached so they can ride 2 or 3 horses. Smurfy ain't gonna like this

Are the horses alive or dead tho thats the real question

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 02, 2021, 02:26:08 PM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 02, 2021, 11:58:37 AM

Why not? I suppose everyone has the "right" to choose who they do business with, everyone has the right to oppose threat to their health (how they perceive it) But how do you police it?

I'm not anti vaccine passport, I'm just thinking out loud I suppose. I see this as very much like the airports - probably something that should be done, but unlikely to gain the necessary demand.

So I don't allow people into my branch unless they sanitize their hands and wear a mask. I'm I being a Nazi?

If it's your business on your premises and you want to bring in these rules, who am I to argue against you?

It's your pitch, we play your rules. If you are happy enough with potential loss of earnings by "offending" people that similarly is on you I suppose.

Armagh18

Pure shite and nothing we didnt already know so..

imtommygunn

Hospital admissions way down now so they have to start thinking about moving with lockdown, in the north, now.  From what I can tell on the graphs maybe 6 admitted. There are about 700 less in inpatients than ~ 8 weeks ago.

It's mad looking at hospital capacity. Even with the massively reduced numbers due to COVID they are still way over 90% utilisation.

thebigfella

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 02, 2021, 02:38:11 PM
If it's your business on your premises and you want to bring in these rules, who am I to argue against you?

It's your pitch, we play your rules. If you are happy enough with potential loss of earnings by "offending" people that similarly is on you I suppose.

I think you'll find insurance providers will dictate everything and premiums will be reflect workplace or business policies. Gyms may not enforce people having a vaccine but any extra cost on their liability insurance will end up being passed on to members. Ski resorts would be one of the easiest places to catch covid. I fully expect snow sports insurance premiums to reflect whether you have a vaccine or not.

Be interested to see how peoples principles are offended once refusal of a "free" vaccine starts hitting them in the pocket.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: thebigfella on March 02, 2021, 03:28:52 PM

I think you'll find insurance providers will dictate everything and premiums will be reflect workplace or business policies. Gyms may not enforce people having a vaccine but any extra cost on their liability insurance will end up being passed on to members. Ski resorts would be one of the easiest places to catch covid. I fully expect snow sports insurance premiums to reflect whether you have a vaccine or not.

Be interested to see how peoples principles are offended once refusal of a "free" vaccine starts hitting them in the pocket.

I get your point, but Covid has a survival rate of something like 99.98% no? Not like those who go off skiing are likely to be too hard hit by Covid themselves. Obviously there is the spread issue but at what point does an insurance cert stop caring as long as the payee is ok, and thus the liability ends?

Sooner or later people are going to start asking the question about this 99% survival rate. Again, Devil Advocate, not saying it's my own view - but 99%+ survival and we are talking really stuff that brings us into the realm of conspiracy and great resets and this type of stuff.

trailer

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 02, 2021, 03:34:10 PM
Quote from: thebigfella on March 02, 2021, 03:28:52 PM

I get your point, but Covid has a survival rate of something like 99.98% no? Not like those who go off skiing are likely to be too hard hit by Covid themselves. Obviously there is the spread issue but at what point does an insurance cert stop caring as long as the payee is ok, and thus the liability ends?

Sooner or later people are going to start asking the question about this 99% survival rate. Again, Devil Advocate, not saying it's my own view - but 99%+ survival and we are talking really stuff that brings us into the realm of conspiracy and great resets and this type of stuff.

Dunno what the exact rate is on survival but agree its the vast vast majority. Problem is though that the amount of people who land into hospital. January was crazy for hospitals. It's not fair on those staff and we must do everything we can to stop the spread.

bennydorano

Quote from: Armagh18 on March 02, 2021, 02:40:36 PM

Pure shite and nothing we didnt already know so..
A quick look at it and it looks like unnecessarily complicated balls tbh, the tiered approach in GB was chaotic and it was relatively straightforward, here we've got 9 areas with  5 tiers or pathways per area. Consistent messaging will be a nightmare to achieve.