China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sid waddell

Quote from: Louther on March 02, 2021, 10:26:33 AM
There is nearly a sense with some that they want they vaccine to fail, just so they can take the "told you so" position. Jumping on every crumb of potential bad news, ignoring the positive impact it having.

The vaccine is the only show in town, it failing at this time isn't worth considering. It will cause many more deaths and suffering, it's not hard to understand really.
Ironically these are the same bozos who go on about mental health and "we need positivity"

They're not good faith contributors, they're trolls who have sad little lives

thewobbler

Quote from: sid waddell on March 02, 2021, 11:19:51 AM
There is nearly a sense with some that they want they vaccine to fail, just so they can take the "told you so" position. Jumping on every crumb of potential bad news, ignoring the positive impact it having.

The vaccine is the only show in town, it failing at this time isn't worth considering. It will cause many more deaths and suffering, it's not hard to understand really.
Ironically these are the same bozos who go on about mental health and "we need positivity"

It's absolute f**king nonsense. Maintaining an open mind on any subject does not make someone willing for it to fail.

This is sadly reflective of the modern crusade to polarise anyone who doesn't adhere to your strict creed to the role of an enemy.

sid waddell

Quote from: thewobbler on March 02, 2021, 11:32:33 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on March 02, 2021, 11:19:51 AM

It's absolute f**king nonsense. Maintaining an open mind on any subject does not make someone willing for it to fail.

This is sadly reflective of the modern crusade to polarise anyone who doesn't adhere to your strict creed to the role of an enemy.
This post here is an actual example of political correctness gone mad

And pretty much every post by that poster follows the exact same turgid formula

sid waddell

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 02, 2021, 11:10:56 AM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on March 02, 2021, 11:07:15 AM
I think there will be big drop off in numbers taking vaccine under 50. Straw poll in office here, 12 people under 50, only 5 taking it. That will probably change when passports are needed etc, the main rational seems to be "if the vulnerable are jabbed why should we worry, its at our own risk, and we all had it anyhow"

Multi jurisdictional, legal minefield. Hugely unlikely to come in, at it's most basic, it could be argued that it coerces people into taking something they don't want to (or, need to, for sake of argument) for their "freedom". Legally its a black hole and you can be completely sure that it will be challenged by various groupings (and backed by just as many too, I suppose).

The pandemic will be long over before that legal war is even started, let alone settled.
Should businesses have the freedom to refuse admission to people who don't get the vaccine?

trailer

I think there will be big drop off in numbers taking vaccine under 50. Straw poll in office here, 12 people under 50, only 5 taking it. That will probably change when passports are needed etc, the main rational seems to be "if the vulnerable are jabbed why should we worry, its at our own risk, and we all had it anyhow"

Multi jurisdictional, legal minefield. Hugely unlikely to come in, at it's most basic, it could be argued that it coerces people into taking something they don't want to (or, need to, for sake of argument) for their "freedom". Legally its a black hole and you can be completely sure that it will be challenged by various groupings (and backed by just as many too, I suppose).

The pandemic will be long over before that legal war is even started, let alone settled.

Dunno, I'd like to see countries insist that you have been vaccinated before allowing you in. Can definitely see this with places like Oz and NZ. Quite possibly the EU as well. Tourist countries will mostly insist on it. To facilitate that then you'll need some sort of passport to prove you're vaccinated. The French insisted on testing all the lorry drivers and it's now par for the course. Things that seemed unbelievable just a year ago are now common place.

sid waddell

Quote from: trailer on March 02, 2021, 11:37:38 AM

Dunno, I'd like to see countries insist that you have been vaccinated before allowing you in. Can definitely see this with places like Oz and NZ. Quite possibly the EU as well. Tourist countries will mostly insist on it. To facilitate that then you'll need some sort of passport to prove you're vaccinated. The French insisted on testing all the lorry drivers and it's now par for the course. Things that seemed unbelievable just a year ago are now common place.
The real function of vaccine passports should be in the internal economy, like Israel have now

No vaccine passport, no admission to gyms, pubs etc.

trueblue1234

There's already examples of it with Yellow fever etc. I'd be fairly sure that there will be a form of Vaccine passport in place over the summer.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

trailer

Quote from: trueblue1234 on March 02, 2021, 11:43:56 AM

There's already examples of it with Yellow fever etc. I'd be fairly sure that there will be a form of Vaccine passport in place over the summer.

I'm fairly certain that there will be as well. There is loads of precedent for this. But the government needs to run an education programme because loads of people don't understand why they need to get vaccinated, and how it helps you and society. It's not enough that just the vulnerable are jabbed, everyone needs to get jabbed who can. Otherwise there is no alternative but rolling lockdowns. The virus will continue to circulate and it will continue to mutate. 

sid waddell

Good sensible article by Dr. Ian Norton here

Seems fairly obvious to me that the worst of this will be over pretty soon in this part of the world - but there a will be a much longer drawn out and tiresome process of gradually getting the world back to normal, and that will take years, and as long as that remains that will influence how we live our lives here

Bottom line is - if you want freedom, get vaccinated

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/abroad/covid-19-we-have-never-seen-a-pandemic-of-this-scale-that-was-shorter-than-2-3-years-1.4498436

clarshack

Quote from: sid waddell on March 02, 2021, 11:41:33 AM

The real function of vaccine passports should be in the internal economy, like Israel have now

You would have done well in 1930's Germany.

sid waddell

Quote from: clarshack on March 02, 2021, 11:54:07 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on March 02, 2021, 11:41:33 AM

You would have done well in 1930's Germany.
It's quote hilarious how many people on this board complain bitterly about historically literate references to fascism and Nazism - and then come out with stuff that makes them look totally and utterly hysterical

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: sid waddell on March 02, 2021, 11:37:27 AM

Should businesses have the freedom to refuse admission to people who don't get the vaccine?

Why not? I suppose everyone has the "right" to choose who they do business with, everyone has the right to oppose threat to their health (how they perceive it) But how do you police it?

I'm not anti vaccine passport, I'm just thinking out loud I suppose. I see this as very much like the airports - probably something that should be done, but unlikely to gain the necessary demand.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

No

sid waddell

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on March 02, 2021, 12:07:44 PM

No
But you're cherry picking US right-wing libertarian logic there

You're advocating denial of freedom to businesses to keep their customers safe

Why should I be forced to sit next to an unvaccinated person on a plane

Where's my freedom there

You don't get on a plane without a passport

You don't get admittance to certain nightclubs based on arbitrary grounds like what you're wearing

If I wore a Celtic jersey, I'm not getting into Lillie's or whatever the exclusive nightclubs were in Dublin pre-March 2020

Society makes these sort of decisions all the time