Down Championship Predictions Competition

Started by Bacon, July 18, 2007, 09:58:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bacon

Right lads and lassies I going to run a predictions competition covering all the main championships. Record your predicted winner for each of the championships by cutting and pasting below and I will provide 2 All Ireland Hurling/Football final tickets for the winner. Only kidding it's just a bit of craic.

Here's my go-

Senior Football: Rostrevor
Senior Hurling: Ballygalget

Intermediate Football: Ballyholland
Intermedate Hurling: Shamrocks

Junior Football: John Bosco
Junior Hurling: Ballycran

Premier Reserve Football: Kilcoo
Reserve Football: Bredagh

Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009

Aristotle Flynn

Senior Football: Mayobridge
Mayobridge are still the team to beat. Kilcoo, Castlewellan, Rostrevor, Burren & Bryansford are all contenders when you look at the draw but it's the Bridge I'll have my money on.

Ballygalget to win it and if Matin Coulter is fit they'll Ulster a rattle too.

Intermediate Football: Downpatrick
Ballyholland are one of the best footballing teams in the competition. Another one is Saval. But the best footballing team doesn't always win the championship. I'm going for Downpatrick.

Intermedate Hurling: Ballycran
Don't know much about it but I reckon they are as good a bet as any.

Junior Football: Drumaness
Too good for Division 4 and if they keep their soccer lads on board they can win the double. Bosco & Mitchel's are the main threats.

Junior Hurling: Ballela
Only Division 1 team in the competition and they have a good draw.

Premier Reserve Football: Mayobridge
The Bridge have stenght in depth and can win this one as well as the SFC if the stay injury free.

Reserve Football: Rostrevor
Bredagh? You're having a laugh Bacon! This is always won by teams from South Down.

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion.

bridgegael

Senior Football: mayobridge

Intermedate Hurling: shamrocks

Junior Football: John Bosco
Junior Hurling: Balella

Premier Reserve Football: mayobridge
Reserve Football: Burren

"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Bacon

Quote from: Aristotle Flynn on July 18, 2007, 12:00:31 PM

Reserve Football: Rostrevor
Bredagh? You're having a laugh Bacon! This is always won by teams from South Down.

No I'm not! I put them in because they're top of the East Down league. I'll bow to your knowledge on reserve football. Personnally I know SFA about it. It was just a guess not a hot tip!!  ;)

amallon

Intermediate Football: Saval

Intermedate Hurling: Ballycran

Junior Football: Bosco

Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

Square Ball

Senior Football: Kilcoo

Intermediate Football: Downpatrick
Intermedate Hurling:  No idea,

Junior Hurling: Bredagh

Premier Reserve Football: Kilcoo
Reserve Football: Burran
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Whitehair

Intermedate Hurling:  Liatroim

Junior Hurling: Bredagh

southdown

Heres my guess, but I have no clue whatsoever about the hurling!

Premier Reserve Football: Burren

thewobbler

No point in me entering my hurling predictions, as I don't know one end from the other.

SFC: Mayobridge folk won't like me saying it, but I'd love to see a new name on the cup - so it's a shame they have effectively got a bye in the first round. If the 'Bridge are going to be vulnerable, it's early doors. By the time the quarter-finals come around, their county men will be well and truly back in the fold and they'll take some stopping then. Should someone shock the 'Bridge, it really could go to any of ten teams  - and I'd rate Longstone as the team to watch then. The 'Stone don't have the physical power to trump the Sky Blues, but with them out of the equation, the pace of Longstone's forwards would overrun most sides. They also have something of a bye into the quarters. The only teams I could see beating Mayobridge though are Kilcoo or Loughinisland. To take on the 'Bridge in the Championship, you have to move the ball quickly and directly, be able to dominate midfield, and stop them scoring goals. Kilcoo are short a little power and 'Island are short a little class, but if everything clicked on the day, they just about could. I also fancy Annaclone will cause a shock over Rostrevor in round one.

IFC: This is brewing as the most competitive IFC I can ever remember. Each out of Saval, Ballyholland, Downpatrick and Ballymartin could make a strong case and they all avoid each other in round one. As it'll take at least 2 shock results for anyone else to get close, with the exception of Kilclief, none of the other teams should factor. Saval's league form will see them start as marginal favourites, but in facing Kilclief in Round 1, they'll need to start with a bang. The Strangford men actually have the physical presence to compete with Saval's plethora of six-footers, and have the forwards to capitalise should they break even or better at midfield. Don't rule out a replay there. Ballymartin are also a big side, and these days are playing a lovely, confident brand of football. They will fear nobody, but this might be a year too soon for them. Downpatrick and Ballyholland are the more inconsistent of the big four. Ballyholland can at least pass off some of that inconsistency to playing so many games without their county duo, which later became a trio. Hoops suffer from town team tendencies, but having won this a couple of years ago, can obviously still mobilise the troops when the time comes. You guess is as good as mine.

JFC: This title has a habit of going to Division IV form teams rather than Division III strugglers, but having forced their way into a top-four berth in the third, Bosco really do look a standout bet. Drumaness are the runaway Division IV leaders, so have to be respected, while if Bright can field all their former Downpatrick men (who were formerly Bright men), they'll be hard enough to beat. Hardest clash for Bosco though would probably be against fellow Newry men the Mitchels, who aren't as good a side, but would be so well up for it.

bcarrier

Reserve Football: Mayobridge

Brick Tamlin

Senior Football: Due to sh*te standard of club football has to be the Bridge. If not Longstone are my outside bet.

Premier Reserve Football: Rostrevor
Intermediate Football: Saval Or Ballymartin
Junior Football:
Bosco

spiritof91and94

Quote from: thewobbler on July 19, 2007, 01:27:31 PM
No point in me entering my hurling predictions, as I don't know one end from the other.

SFC: Mayobridge folk won't like me saying it, but I'd love to see a new name on the cup - so it's a shame they have effectively got a bye in the first round. If the 'Bridge are going to be vulnerable, it's early doors. By the time the quarter-finals come around, their county men will be well and truly back in the fold and they'll take some stopping then. Should someone shock the 'Bridge, it really could go to any of ten teams  - and I'd rate Longstone as the team to watch then. The 'Stone don't have the physical power to trump the Sky Blues, but with them out of the equation, the pace of Longstone's forwards would overrun most sides. They also have something of a bye into the quarters. The only teams I could see beating Mayobridge though are Kilcoo or Loughinisland. To take on the 'Bridge in the Championship, you have to move the ball quickly and directly, be able to dominate midfield, and stop them scoring goals. Kilcoo are short a little power and 'Island are short a little class, but if everything clicked on the day, they just about could. I also fancy Annaclone will cause a shock over Rostrevor in round one.

De ja vu from last year here - Longstone havent a hope of winning the championship, you all predicted them last year to beat the bridge but a five minute spell midway through the first half put paid to that. I remember talking to Tom O'Hare at half time that night and he said 'no other team are as clinical as the bridge'! I fear it will again prove the case come October but to see another team come through would help Down football no end.
On our own club - Shane King & Kalum King have returned to the fold over the holiday period along with Brian McVeigh returning from Australia it is a great boost - dont forget these three started the 2003 final and with K King and McVeigh still only 23 they will provide a option in midfield and half back respectively, Shane will be utilised most probably at full forward where his experience will help young Brannigan and Maginn. I therefore predict Bryansford as the dark horse this year. 

Bacon

I thought there'd be more interst in this but I suppose it's the holidays.  Here's the predictions so far:

SFC
Mayobridge 6
Kilcoo 2
Rostrevor 1
Bryansford 1

SHC
Ballygalget 7

IFC
Saval 3
Ballyholland 3
Downpatrick 2

IHC
Shamrocks 2
Ballycran 2
Liatroim 1

JFC
Bosco 9
Drumaness 1

JHC
Ballela 3
Bredagh 2
Ballycran 1

PRFC
Mayobridge 5
Kilcoo 2
Burren 1
Rostrevor 1

RFC
Burren 5
Rostrevor 1
Bredagh 1
Mayobridge 1

Flat Hedgehog

Intermediate Football: Carryduff
Intermedate Hurling: Ballygalget

Junior Football: Drumaness

Knowledge only brings fear.

southdown

QuoteDe ja vu from last year here - Longstone havent a hope of winning the championship, you all predicted them last year to beat the bridge but a five minute spell midway through the first half put paid to that. I remember talking to Tom O'Hare at half time that night and he said 'no other team are as clinical as the bridge'!

I wouldnt be so sure of that, if you look at league form over the last few years Longstones record against the Bridge is better than most other teams achive.  On the other hand we all know that the Bridge seem to save their best form for the Championship.

On another point, has anyone saw Ballymartin playing lately in Division 2?  They seem to be on a roll at present, can anyone shed any light?