Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

I have never ran it but know quite a few who have. I have heard nothing but good things about it. Unsure on what it's like in terms of hills etc though.

It sounds to be organised by runners for runners unlike belfast.

ballinaman

Quote from: laoislad on October 06, 2017, 01:55:36 PM
I thought I read somewhere  (boards.ie I think ) saying the Manchester one was good.

You're doing some workouts yourself ballinaman. Your Strava uploads are like Physics equations  ;D
Haha...the end result is always the same...PAIN  ;D

laoislad

Quote from: ballinaman on October 07, 2017, 09:31:27 PM
Quote from: laoislad on October 06, 2017, 01:55:36 PM
I thought I read somewhere  (boards.ie I think ) saying the Manchester one was good.

You're doing some workouts yourself ballinaman. Your Strava uploads are like Physics equations  ;D
Haha...the end result is always the same...PAIN  ;D

https://youtu.be/lSPNQ82Sq4E
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

imtommygunn

Lol. Exactly what i first thought ll.

ballinaman

100% accurate prediction  ;D . The world of pain from 20-26.2 is something else, hopefully will have trained enough to tolerate it to keep it going...few more weeks to go only thankfully before Dublin.

heffo

3rd 20 miler in a row this weekend - nothing enjoyable about them at all

Dubh driocht

Annual plug for a lovely 10 miler on 4th November - nice detox after Dublin for those doing it- chance to compare yourself against Ireland's Number One Marathon Woman in a field of 100 followed by the best of home made food, no fee but hopefully a donation to Mourne Mountain Rescue;https://www.facebook.com/Running4Rescue/

lfdown2

Went out Friday night to do 22, last long one before tapering, got to 17 and could go no further...just about managed to make it to 17. Don't know what happened, looking at splits there was no major slip up that way, the only thing I can think of was that it was the first long run done in the evening (just suited us better to get out Friday night), as well as that I hadn't altered midweek so had done 5 Tue morn, 10 Wed morn & 5 Thu morn.

As I say as per the plan we are following we are to taper from here on - question is would you stick to the plan or try and get a a 20 miler in next weekend (leaning towards it being a blip and that I will just stick to the plan) - annoying thing being that it is the last long run, had done 2 20 milers already and finished them v strong, it just sows a bit of doubt in the head!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: lfdown2 on October 08, 2017, 07:52:38 PM
Went out Friday night to do 22, last long one before tapering, got to 17 and could go no further...just about managed to make it to 17. Don't know what happened, looking at splits there was no major slip up that way, the only thing I can think of was that it was the first long run done in the evening (just suited us better to get out Friday night), as well as that I hadn't altered midweek so had done 5 Tue morn, 10 Wed morn & 5 Thu morn.

As I say as per the plan we are following we are to taper from here on - question is would you stick to the plan or try and get a a 20 miler in next weekend (leaning towards it being a blip and that I will just stick to the plan) - annoying thing being that it is the last long run, had done 2 20 milers already and finished them v strong, it just sows a bit of doubt in the head!

It's in your legs already... you'll be grand, I'd a blip like that recently and question why the feck am I doing this!! Next run was great (well how 21 miles can be great is beyond me)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

So did Amsterdam Marathon at the weekend, 22 degrees and 53 thousand runners, course record at 2.05, not me! I've been to a few sporting events but I've not seen a city put on an event like this, I'm sure London and New York Berlin and Paris have cracking marathons but I've not actually witnessed them other than on TV but to experience it while doing it is something else..

As for the race my prep could have been so much better, I'd done one long run and plenty short runs but didn't stick to any plan... got to Amsterdam on the Friday night with family and didn't have a beer! But the in laws came on the Saturday and we all did the touristy stuff, involving lots of walking and eating shite!

Indonesian restaurant that night, bottle red and two beers at bar in Dam square!! But I was in bed for 10.30, decent sleep and ready for race at the Olympic stadium for 9.30 start....

As you way in the place is banging with typical Dutch techno! Whistles going and its a bit like a rave...

Plan was simple race my own race and stick to the pace I'd been running with.. running at about 8min miles or 5.05 min per km I was feeling strong, caught the 3.40 pacers at about the ten mile mark ran on by them still feeling strong around the 16/17 miles I thought I could see in the distance the 3.30 lads... but the wheels came off at 35km marker, cramp stiffness and the last five miles the pacers past me and I was in reverse...

Fighting with myself mentally to finish! Last km was a huge struggle but once I got near stadium I picked up pace to sprint the last few hundred metres to finish on chip time 4 hours dead on !!

To say I was emotional is an understatement... I'll never underestimate the difficulty of doing a marathon again.. can't see me entering  again but I won't dismiss it but will learn from my mistakes or ignorance possibly of how demanding it is!

Good luck to any of the Dub runners on their race coming up
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

magpie seanie

Brilliant stuff MR2, well done.

lfdown2

Brilliant stuff, sounds just like how Paris went for me, loving the first 20 miles then cramping up, dehydrating and limping over the line in near tears!

Butterfly's are kicking in now for Dublin...hopefully won't be (as) painful for the last 6 mile!!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: lfdown2 on October 18, 2017, 09:09:40 PM
Brilliant stuff, sounds just like how Paris went for me, loving the first 20 miles then cramping up, dehydrating and limping over the line in near tears!

Butterfly's are kicking in now for Dublin...hopefully won't be (as) painful for the last 6 mile!!

I'd plenty hydration and they had isotar drinks all the way round, latter stages bananas too, so on reflection I lost it in the head I think, I'd cramp on the 35km mark but I was still able to have a quick (quicker than last 4km) final last 1km which I think once I seen that sign I started running quicker!!

For me if I were thinking of another one I'd train differently and take on board the mistakes I made leading up to the race and during it!! Chasing 3.30 was foolish and led to me possibly faltering earlier than I would have...

I changed plan during race because my body told me different! I wouldn't do that again!

I've about 5/6 friends all heading for Dublin, one girl on her 4th marathon in a year, London Belfast Cork and now Dublin!! And she broke a bone in her foot a couple of weeks after Cork! Fecking nuts!

ballinaman

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 18, 2017, 10:36:53 PM
Quote from: lfdown2 on October 18, 2017, 09:09:40 PM

I'd plenty hydration and they had isotar drinks all the way round, latter stages bananas too, so on reflection I lost it in the head I think, I'd cramp on the 35km mark but I was still able to have a quick (quicker than last 4km) final last 1km which I think once I seen that sign I started running quicker!!

For me if I were thinking of another one I'd train differently and take on board the mistakes I made leading up to the race and during it!! Chasing 3.30 was foolish and led to me possibly faltering earlier than I would have...

I changed plan during race because my body told me different! I wouldn't do that again!

I've about 5/6 friends all heading for Dublin, one girl on her 4th marathon in a year, London Belfast Cork and now Dublin!! And she broke a bone in her foot a couple of weeks after Cork! Fecking nuts!
Super stuff MR2, marathon is an absolute grind no matter what so you weren't the only one feeling it coming home.

The temperatures would definitely have had an impact. The head can start to go before the legs around 20-22, brain needs carbohydrate too to function.

Bit of a double edged sword in last 6 miles of marathon , you need to be able to mentally tolerate the pain but you've got to have it in the legs too...one feeds into the other.

Great video on what happens body during a marathon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQs4SqirpzY&sns=em