Does Apple case prove Irish tax system is rotten to the core?

Started by T Fearon, August 30, 2016, 06:42:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: seafoid on October 04, 2017, 06:28:45 PM
Quote from: Syferus on October 04, 2017, 05:54:30 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on October 04, 2017, 05:42:54 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on October 04, 2017, 05:03:09 PM
I wonder how many people in media will shout to get the South out of Europe. But they'll just take it up the jacksy from Europe, as usual.

Take it up the jacksy? Are they not openly defying an EU ruling?

We should be allowed to tax our companies in used Burger King wrappers if we want. Fully behind the Government and Apple on this one.
And then you moan about poor Ros with no jobs. FFS

The Seafoid Communist Republic of Ireland never has and never will be a realistic and sustainable alternative.. "for fück's sake".

Hound

Absolutely no hurry in collecting the tax. Interest accruing every day at 8% for as long as its unpaid. Once we have it we can't touch it until the appeal is heard and that could be years. In that time we're more likely to have to pay someone to hold it rather than earn interest on it. Meanwhile we're giving the MNCs the appearance that we are doing everything we can to back Apple.
When the appeal is finally settled, our whole tax regime will have changed for MNCs so whoever wins, it'll have no impact on maintaining/attracting MNCs. And I think Apple/Ireland will lose the appeal so it'll be win/win for Ireland.

We might get a lot wrong, but we're playing this well.

NetNitrate

Quote from: T Fearon on August 30, 2016, 06:42:08 PM
If not why is the Dublin Government opposed to this windfall tax?

We don't have all the facts. But on the face of it, it would appear Apple is paying the correct amount of tax they owe in Ireland, but not from profits on other countries.

The EU tweeted today that Ireland keeps it all with the exception of what other countries claim they are owed. I think it's fairly safe to assume that if EU wins, the following will happen:

Ireland has to pay tax collector for the World (costly)
Every other country will demand their share (safe to say Ireland's small population won't be able to prove this is tax owned in Ireland unless every citizen is buying a few thousand iphones each)
If Ireland pays tax collector for the world, then we lose our ability to attract high tech firms HQing in Ireland
As these firms pull out, the welfare payments and loss of good paying jobs will be more costly to the economy

I think there's a lot of jealously in mainland Europe that Ireland has managed to secure the EU HQs of Google, Apple, Facebook, Twitter, etc. Trump and the US Congress are equally frothing at the mouth at the loss of hi tech and pharma jobs. Then you have the internal lefties, some going so far as to saying these companies should be nationalised. God help us. We'll do well to come of this one.

manfromdelmonte

could be a lot of housing built with that money
schools and motorways too

Rossfan

I wonder how many people in media will shout to get the South out of Europe. But they'll just take it up the jacksy from Europe, as usual.
I'm not sure Munster can leave the EU.
You seem obsessed with "up the jacksey"!! Not good for you.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Hound

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on October 04, 2017, 07:12:32 PM
could be a lot of housing built with that money
schools and motorways too
Apple were always going to appeal, so whether Ireland appealed was completely irrelevant and therefore its much better to be seen to appeal.

The money can't be touched until after the Appeal, no matter what.

armaghniac

Quote from: Hound on October 04, 2017, 07:03:50 PM
Absolutely no hurry in collecting the tax. Interest accruing every day at 8% for as long as its unpaid. Once we have it we can't touch it until the appeal is heard and that could be years. In that time we're more likely to have to pay someone to hold it rather than earn interest on it. Meanwhile we're giving the MNCs the appearance that we are doing everything we can to back Apple.
When the appeal is finally settled, our whole tax regime will have changed for MNCs so whoever wins, it'll have no impact on maintaining/attracting MNCs. And I think Apple/Ireland will lose the appeal so it'll be win/win for Ireland.

Exactly.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Syferus

Quote from: armaghniac on October 04, 2017, 07:33:53 PM
Quote from: Hound on October 04, 2017, 07:03:50 PM

Exactly.

Pick a topic, find a conspiracy theory. Christ on a stick.

magpie seanie

Quote from: seafoid on October 04, 2017, 06:28:45 PM
Quote from: Syferus on October 04, 2017, 05:54:30 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on October 04, 2017, 05:42:54 PM

Take it up the jacksy? Are they not openly defying an EU ruling?

We should be allowed to tax our companies in used Burger King wrappers if we want. Fully behind the Government and Apple on this one.
And then you moan about poor Ros with no jobs. FFS

He's absolutely right here. If we lose our tax autonomy then it's all over. We're definitely then just a remote province of Germany.

BennyCake

Quote from: Rossfan on October 04, 2017, 07:24:53 PM
I'm not sure Munster can leave the EU.
You seem obsessed with "up the jacksey"!! Not good for you.

Strange that you're the only one to notice that

LeoMc

Ireland is being asked to collect the money and hold it for the other EU nations.
They are expected to hold it until after the case runs its course and then either give it back to Apple or onto the Countries where Apple is deemed to owe it
Ireland cannot spend the money, it cannot even collect the interest and they need to manage it in such a way that it holds its value and keeps pace with inflation. They can't just stick it into Coolock credit union or leave it to the numpyies over BOI to manage.