It Must be Marching Season

Started by Nally Stand, June 27, 2011, 11:27:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evil Genius

Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 09, 2019, 01:41:17 PM
Quote from: Evil Genius on July 09, 2019, 01:29:43 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 09, 2019, 01:20:07 PM
Quote from: Evil Genius on July 09, 2019, 01:11:42 PM
Well, well. Googling something else drew me to this site and well, it's a while since I even browsed, never mind posted, so I thought I'd give it a go.

Anyhow, whatever the rights and wrongs of the song and the parade etc, I find it curious that no-one seems to have picked up on this snippet from the report:

"It appears that someone on the bus shouts a sectarian phrase relating to Protestants."

Or maybe it's not so "curious"?

Anyone?
If someone went to the bother of reporting this surely they could be more specific on the content of said phrase, or maybe they used "appears that" to suggest they can't be 100% sure.
Are you saying it didn't happen, then?
Nope. I haven't even seen the video, but if it definitely did happen then feel free to state specifically what was said. You are not known for shyness.
Now, now, you know the video has been pulled.

But think of it this way. Why would the reporter just make something up entirely? I mean, he would be leaving himself open to the video re-appearing and proving him to be a liar.

Whereas if something untoward was shouted, then that would be a very good reason for pulling the video, the fact of the song being sung not being denied.

All that said, maybe no-one would have made such a comment, for fear of offending any Protestants on the bus.

Yeah, you're right, that'll be it.
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

TyroneOnlooker

Saw the video. Let's call a spade a spade. It's stupid, indefensible and shouldn't have happened. Does absolutely nothing for the GAA's reputation with the other side. No point in saying 'sure themmuns are worse'. We should be above that.

That said, the idiot who videod it and thought it would be a good idea to share on snapchat should feel rightly ashamed of himself. Think it's a reflection of culture with younger ones now that nothing can happen without being posted online. So what should be a non-event in a private bus (albeit wrong) now turns into a newspaper headline.

armaghniac

Events on a bus are one thing, they are among those concerned. But the person who shared it has zero loyalty to the team and should never be on that bus again.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

trueblue1234

Quote from: Evil Genius on July 09, 2019, 02:08:19 PM
Well, well. Googling something else drew me to this site and well, it's a while since I even browsed, never mind posted, so I thought I'd give it a go.

Anyhow, whatever the rights and wrongs of the song and the parade etc, I find it curious that no-one seems to have picked up on this snippet from the report:

"It appears that someone on the bus shouts a sectarian phrase relating to Protestants."

Anyone?
If someone went to the bother of reporting this surely they could be more specific on the content of said phrase, or maybe they used "appears that" to suggest they can't be 100% sure.
Nope. I haven't even seen the video, but if it definitely did happen then feel free to state specifically what was said. You are not known for shyness.

But think of it this way. Why would the reporter just make something up entirely? I mean, he would be leaving himself open to the video re-appearing and proving him to be a liar.

Whereas if something untoward was shouted, then that would be a very good reason for pulling the video, the fact of the song being sung not being denied.

All that said, maybe no-one would have made such a comment, for fear of offending any Protestants on the bus.

Why would said reporter not just quote the line if he heard it? I've still got a copy and I don't hear it. Unless there's more than one version going around. If there was an anti-protestant  comment made it should absolutely be condemned. But as it stands I see no evidence that there was.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Jim_Murphy_74

Well, well indeed.  Just happened to accidentally find you way here on the day that this incident hit the headlines.

As Barry McElduff would say:  coincidences do happen.

/Jim.

sensethetone

Quote from: trueblue1234 on July 09, 2019, 02:36:30 PM
Quote from: Evil Genius on July 09, 2019, 02:08:19 PM

Anyone?

Why would said reporter not just quote the line if he heard it? I've still got a copy and I don't hear it. Unless there's more than one version going around. If there was an anti-protestant  comment made it should absolutely be condemned. But as it stands I see no evidence that there was.

Radio Ulster had Alan Rodgers from the Ulster herald on this morning- Noel Thompson basically put words in his mouth, including the sectarian line. no reference given to what the line was.

Alan threw in this behaviour is typical of these buses. Don't be like Alan.

Jim_Murphy_74

The phrase "pile of F***in Huns" is quoted in Belfast Telegraph but I haven't seen the video.

/Jim.

Keyser soze

Tbh I would think that anyone getting held up by a parade along a main road in a car or bus is likely to spout something similar. I'm sure i have said worse about cyclists. And even cows. 

Evil Genius

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on July 09, 2019, 02:44:12 PM

Well, well indeed.  Just happened to accidentally find you way here on the day that this incident hit the headlines.
/Jim.
I was googling something on Tyrone (county, not county GAA), and this popped up, presumably because this story was in the news.

But however I came to be here, does that change the point I am making?

Or is my re-emergence the real story? (Sweep, sweep)
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Evil Genius

Quote from: armaghniac on July 09, 2019, 02:34:24 PM
Events on a bus are one thing, they are among those concerned. But the person who shared it has zero loyalty to the team and should never be on that bus again.
Indeed, the events and the whistle blowing are separate things.

Which do you consider to be the more disturbing?
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Evil Genius

Quote from: Keyser soze on July 09, 2019, 03:06:14 PM
Tbh I would think that anyone getting held up by a parade along a main road in a car or bus is likely to spout something similar. I'm sure i have said worse about cyclists. And even cows.
f**king Hun cows?
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

general_lee

Although I Lol'd at this, I hadn't initially heard the comment in the video. Doesn't reflect well and should be condemned. The song I have no issue with. The parade harmless enough only a bunch of wee girls. Calling them a pile of f**king huns is blatant sectarianism. If the shoe was on the other foot we'd all be up in arms

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: general_lee on July 09, 2019, 03:31:09 PM
Although I Lol'd at this, I hadn't initially heard the comment in the video. Doesn't reflect well and should be condemned. The song I have no issue with. The parade harmless enough only a bunch of wee girls. Calling them a pile of f**king huns is blatant sectarianism. If the shoe was on the other foot we'd all be up in arms
I have watched the video and I dont hear that being shouted, although maybe there is more than one version/video.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

general_lee

It's there clear as day after about 30 seconds.