It Must be Marching Season

Started by Nally Stand, June 27, 2011, 11:27:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

You're not far wrong. Every bloody year the same crap. People evicted from houses to facilitate bonfires. Where would you hear the likes of this.

Tyrdub

In a past life, while working in Belfast City Council, I had the job of helping sort out bonfire beacons on the 11th night in some not-so-GAA-friendly places. If only they knew who was doing this work for them. Didn't agree with these "community groups" getting funding for these things and events, especially when it was just a front for what really goes on

general_lee

Quote from: nrico2006 on July 08, 2019, 07:55:21 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on July 08, 2019, 07:40:09 PM
Quote from: marty34 on July 08, 2019, 05:14:06 PM
I've noticed in a lot of areas now that they don't put up flags on their houses but they plaster the towns (even 60/40% nationalist towns.

Must make them feel really secure!!

They're all over the motorway junctions and big roundabouts as well. It's a case of "know your place, taig!"

Not sure of the percentage split in Lurgan but the whole town is covered in red, white and blue as usual. I see that Belfast City Council have decided to take the bonfire at the leisure centre down. How the hell have the police not acted sooner?
Roughly 2/3 catholic. Notice how the further you get the from the town centre (into the prod end) the less flags you see.

As for the Tyrone team, the song they sang is harmless. The band marching was harmless (girls accordion band!?) I despise Loyalism but you can't just be in a perennial state of offence all the time. Not a good look for the team and hopefully whoever leaked it gets plenty of punishment runs  :D

Denn Forever

Micky Harte apologies for the Tyrone Team's singing at a march in Aughnacloy "come out you black and tans".

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-48911306
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Applesisapples

Quote from: 6th sam on July 08, 2019, 11:25:25 PM
Quote from: marty34 on July 08, 2019, 09:44:10 PM
Quote from: Owen Brannigan on July 08, 2019, 08:16:41 PM
https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/tyrone-gaa-manager-mickey-harte-apologises-after-players-sing-rebel-song-during-band-parade-38292651.html

Why is Harte apologising anyway?

I'm not being smart here, but genuinely can anyone help me with this? On the one hand we have a band parade for the umpteenth time perceived as celebrating the defeat of Catholicism/Irishness  330 years ago , for all to see in a mixed town, blocking streets and no doubt playing tunes such as the sash . On the other hand a group of adults in a private bus behind closed doors are singing a song about fighting against the Black and Tans , a notorious gather-up of reprobates designed to do the dirty work of an oppressive British empire, trying to impose their will on a population which made their preference clear in a democratic general election of 1918. And Mickey Harte apologises?? I have absolutely no problem with apologising if offence is caused to my unionist neighbours and friends, but equally are unionists going to apologise for the years of weekly parades , often in mixed areas, celebrating victory over catholic neighbours , again and again and again. Whereas I totally respect people are brought up
In this "culture" and hold it dear,  and love the music and the trappings, they must reflect that the perceived anti-catholic ethos is offensive to many. I have known Orangemen over the years and quite often it's a case , like ourselves, of being born into a tradition , but Orange marching every Week in many towns for several months is dysfunctional, and it's time politicians call it out for what it is. Celebrate Britishness, hold the "union" dear, by all means but stop insulting your friends and neighbours whilst calling it culture. If nationalists/republicans were doing the same , I'd be the first to call it out. It's pathological, poisonous and dysfunctional, and I know several unionists who feel the same way about it. Time to call out ,antagonism and coat trailing on both sides , and also state clearly that the majority of this nonsense comes from one side . Don't go down the lazY SDLP /alliance route and pretend it's 6 of one/half a dozen of tother . This marching culture is highly disruptive, costly and offensive nonsense . Time we all grew up.
I agree with you 100% on singing, I understand why Harte is doing it. But what tool posted the video? In relation to marches, I absolutely do not see the appeal be they orange or green. The green ones embarrass me as a nationalist as I view them as monkey see monkey do events. But to many of those in the orange and the marching bands this is the only vestiges of culture they can embrace. Though many others from the unionist tradition are happy to embrace Irish music and culture. If we are serious about sharing tis Island with all then we must accommodate all in their cultural expression. Provide of course it is not endangering lives or giving overt offence. Town centres as such are shared space. Nationalist towns in general tend to be more accommodating than unionist ones and I believe that is to their credit.

BennyCake

Ok, squad has a bit of a laugh singing. But, 1) why would anyone video it? And 2) why would you f**king send it to anyone?

Jaysus you can't shite these days without someone telling the world about it.

brokencrossbar1

I'll just leave this up here to highlight the idiocy of the whole thing and why Harte was wrong to apologise.

https://www.joe.ie/news/watch-alan-partridges-irish-farmer-singing-rebel-songs-paddys-day-fantastic-662354

BennyHarp

I agree Harte shouldn't have apologised but from his point of view he was probably thinking that at a very tense time of year in the calendar that this could have been blow way up out of proportion and been a huge media distraction to his team over the most important phase of the championship. Rightly or wrongly, he's made the decision to apologise, taken the wind out of the sails of the story, stated that the team and management wont comment on it again and hopefully everyone can move on.
That was never a square ball!!

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: 6th sam on July 08, 2019, 11:25:25 PM
Quote from: marty34 on July 08, 2019, 09:44:10 PM
Quote from: Owen Brannigan on July 08, 2019, 08:16:41 PM
https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/tyrone-gaa-manager-mickey-harte-apologises-after-players-sing-rebel-song-during-band-parade-38292651.html

Why is Harte apologising anyway?

I'm not being smart here, but genuinely can anyone help me with this? On the one hand we have a band parade for the umpteenth time perceived as celebrating the defeat of Catholicism/Irishness  330 years ago , for all to see in a mixed town, blocking streets and no doubt playing tunes such as the sash . On the other hand a group of adults in a private bus behind closed doors are singing a song about fighting against the Black and Tans , a notorious gather-up of reprobates designed to do the dirty work of an oppressive British empire, trying to impose their will on a population which made their preference clear in a democratic general election of 1918. And Mickey Harte apologises?? I have absolutely no problem with apologising if offence is caused to my unionist neighbours and friends, but equally are unionists going to apologise for the years of weekly parades , often in mixed areas, celebrating victory over catholic neighbours , again and again and again. Whereas I totally respect people are brought up
In this "culture" and hold it dear,  and love the music and the trappings, they must reflect that the perceived anti-catholic ethos is offensive to many. I have known Orangemen over the years and quite often it's a case , like ourselves, of being born into a tradition , but Orange marching every Week in many towns for several months is dysfunctional, and it's time politicians call it out for what it is. Celebrate Britishness, hold the "union" dear, by all means but stop insulting your friends and neighbours whilst calling it culture. If nationalists/republicans were doing the same , I'd be the first to call it out. It's pathological, poisonous and dysfunctional, and I know several unionists who feel the same way about it. Time to call out ,antagonism and coat trailing on both sides , and also state clearly that the majority of this nonsense comes from one side . Don't go down the lazY SDLP /alliance route and pretend it's 6 of one/half a dozen of tother . This marching culture is highly disruptive, costly and offensive nonsense . Time we all grew up.

100%
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Evil Genius

Well, well. Googling something else drew me to this site and well, it's a while since I even browsed, never mind posted, so I thought I'd give it a go.

Anyhow, whatever the rights and wrongs of the song and the parade etc, I find it curious that no-one seems to have picked up on this snippet from the report:

"It appears that someone on the bus shouts a sectarian phrase relating to Protestants."

Or maybe it's not so "curious"?

Anyone?
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

johnnycool

Gotta love these people who call into Radio Ulster/Six Counties and there was one on from Portadown I presume who was giving off about the Fire brigade and them not just hosing down these block of flats that the bonfire is right beside.
William McAuley I think asked him if he was serious and his answer was "sure, what else would they be doing?"

Oh,
   And the boney builders in Avoniel should be lauded for taking the tyres away themselves...

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Evil Genius on July 09, 2019, 01:11:42 PM
Well, well. Googling something else drew me to this site and well, it's a while since I even browsed, never mind posted, so I thought I'd give it a go.

Anyhow, whatever the rights and wrongs of the song and the parade etc, I find it curious that no-one seems to have picked up on this snippet from the report:

"It appears that someone on the bus shouts a sectarian phrase relating to Protestants."

Anyone?
If someone went to the bother of reporting this surely they could be more specific on the content of said phrase, or maybe they used "appears that" to suggest they can't be 100% sure.

Evil Genius

Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 09, 2019, 01:20:07 PM

Anyone?
If someone went to the bother of reporting this surely they could be more specific on the content of said phrase, or maybe they used "appears that" to suggest they can't be 100% sure.
Are you saying it didn't happen, then?
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Evil Genius on July 09, 2019, 01:29:43 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 09, 2019, 01:20:07 PM

Anyone?
Are you saying it didn't happen, then?
Nope. I haven't even seen the video, but if it definitely did happen then feel free to state specifically what was said. You are not known for shyness.

brokencrossbar1

Welcome back EG.....back from from your summer holidays after school ended?  I haven't seen the full extent of the video.  What sectarian phrase appeared to be used?