It Must be Marching Season

Started by Nally Stand, June 27, 2011, 11:27:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheOptimist

markl121

Where I'm from used to be a significant unionist majority town about 30-40 years ago but wouldn't have had a flag up as the young nationalist lads in the town used to take them down. Now it's a nationalist majority about 60-65% nationalist and there's flags everywhere. It's a sign they feel threatened.

BennyCake

Quote from: marty34 on July 08, 2019, 05:14:06 PM
I've noticed in a lot of areas now that they don't put up flags on their houses but they plaster the towns (even 60/40% nationalist towns.

Must make them feel really secure!!

They're all over the motorway junctions and big roundabouts as well. It's a case of "know your place, taig!"

imtommygunn

Bryson at his usual shit stirring this time of year too. Belfast city council shit stirring by taking tyres from bonfires apparently and causing tension. Nothing to do with them being banned Jamie no lol. He really is not a valuable asset to society.

nrico2006

Quote from: BennyCake on July 08, 2019, 07:40:09 PM
I've noticed in a lot of areas now that they don't put up flags on their houses but they plaster the towns (even 60/40% nationalist towns.

They're all over the motorway junctions and big roundabouts as well. It's a case of "know your place, taig!"

Not sure of the percentage split in Lurgan but the whole town is covered in red, white and blue as usual. I see that Belfast City Council have decided to take the bonfire at the leisure centre down. How the hell have the police not acted sooner?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

BennyCake

Quote from: nrico2006 on July 08, 2019, 07:55:21 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on July 08, 2019, 07:40:09 PM

Not sure of the percentage split in Lurgan but the whole town is covered in red, white and blue as usual. I see that Belfast City Council have decided to take the bonfire at the leisure centre down. How the hell have the police not acted sooner?

Because they are a British police force, leading the British agenda in a British manufactured statelet.

imtommygunn

It was that monster Micky graham ;D

bogball88

Quote from: markl121 on July 08, 2019, 05:50:43 PM
Where I'm from used to be a significant unionist majority town about 30-40 years ago but wouldn't have had a flag up as the young nationalist lads in the town used to take them down. Now it's a nationalist majority about 60-65% nationalist and there's flags everywhere. It's a sign they feel threatened.
Where's that?

markl121

Quote from: bogball88 on July 08, 2019, 09:58:31 PM
Quote from: markl121 on July 08, 2019, 05:50:43 PM
Where's that?
Castledawson

6th sam

Quote from: marty34 on July 08, 2019, 09:44:10 PM
Quote from: Owen Brannigan on July 08, 2019, 08:16:41 PM
https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/tyrone-gaa-manager-mickey-harte-apologises-after-players-sing-rebel-song-during-band-parade-38292651.html

Why is Harte apologising anyway?

I'm not being smart here, but genuinely can anyone help me with this? On the one hand we have a band parade for the umpteenth time perceived as celebrating the defeat of Catholicism/Irishness  330 years ago , for all to see in a mixed town, blocking streets and no doubt playing tunes such as the sash . On the other hand a group of adults in a private bus behind closed doors are singing a song about fighting against the Black and Tans , a notorious gather-up of reprobates designed to do the dirty work of an oppressive British empire, trying to impose their will on a population which made their preference clear in a democratic general election of 1918. And Mickey Harte apologises?? I have absolutely no problem with apologising if offence is caused to my unionist neighbours and friends, but equally are unionists going to apologise for the years of weekly parades , often in mixed areas, celebrating victory over catholic neighbours , again and again and again. Whereas I totally respect people are brought up
In this "culture" and hold it dear,  and love the music and the trappings, they must reflect that the perceived anti-catholic ethos is offensive to many. I have known Orangemen over the years and quite often it's a case , like ourselves, of being born into a tradition , but Orange marching every Week in many towns for several months is dysfunctional, and it's time politicians call it out for what it is. Celebrate Britishness, hold the "union" dear, by all means but stop insulting your friends and neighbours whilst calling it culture. If nationalists/republicans were doing the same , I'd be the first to call it out. It's pathological, poisonous and dysfunctional, and I know several unionists who feel the same way about it. Time to call out ,antagonism and coat trailing on both sides , and also state clearly that the majority of this nonsense comes from one side . Don't go down the lazY SDLP /alliance route and pretend it's 6 of one/half a dozen of tother . This marching culture is highly disruptive, costly and offensive nonsense . Time we all grew up.