It Must be Marching Season

Started by Nally Stand, June 27, 2011, 11:27:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orior

Quote from: Maguire01 on August 16, 2013, 04:54:06 PM
Doesn't that imply that there isn't actually an issue with the Orange Order marching in these areas at all? That if there was a united Ireland, we would no longer care where they marched? If that's the case, why do we care now?

Good question. As Hardstation pointed out, I'd let them march though my house if we had a united Ireland.

So why do I care now? Because they are rubbing our noses in it, coat trailing, celebrating protestant victory over catholics at the Boyne, celebrating 18th century terrorists, glorifying recent terrorism, exercising a perceived ascendency etc etc.

As someone else once pointed out, nowhere in the world is a civil war celebrated.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

ziggysego

Quote from: Orior on August 19, 2013, 12:29:34 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on August 16, 2013, 04:54:06 PM
Doesn't that imply that there isn't actually an issue with the Orange Order marching in these areas at all? That if there was a united Ireland, we would no longer care where they marched? If that's the case, why do we care now?

Good question. As Hardstation pointed out, I'd let them march though my house if we had a united Ireland.

So why do I care now? Because they are rubbing our noses in it, coat trailing, celebrating protestant victory over catholics at the Boyne, celebrating 18th century terrorists, glorifying recent terrorism, exercising a perceived ascendency etc etc.

As someone else once pointed out, nowhere in the world is a civil war celebrated.

That's the thing, it wasn't a civil war. It was a European war, fought on Irish soil. Very little to do with Ireland.
Testing Accessibility

AQMP

Quote from: EC Unique on September 12, 2013, 02:29:51 PM
Should be fun! ::)

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/parades-10000-loyalist-protesters-to-descend-on-belfast-city-centre-29573952.html

Great stuff.  Loyalists now carrying on the economic war by scaring shoppers out of Belfast city centre on a Saturday afternoon, then, after liberal supplies of liquid refreshments, they'll let themselves down a bucket load up at Woodvale later.  Republicans couldn't buy PR like this.

EC Unique

Excellent news from Belfast today I see.  ;D

Nally Stand

"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: EC Unique on June 04, 2014, 01:53:41 PM

Good, if you live nowhere near belfast for the summer!

EC Unique

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on June 04, 2014, 03:09:48 PM

The alternative is letting them march. Hardly preferable?

EC Unique

No walkey home this year again.  ;D

NAG1

Quote from: EC Unique on June 04, 2014, 06:13:48 PM
Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on June 04, 2014, 03:09:48 PM

The alternative is letting them march. Hardly preferable?

I think at this stage the OO take more out of being banned from parading than they would do if they were actually granted the parade.

This way they can keep accusing everyone else of being at fault bar themselves.

Nally Stand

Quote from: EC Unique on July 03, 2014, 01:14:56 PM

Unionists have collectively walked out of the talks before they've properly started. Showing, once again, that leadership is a concept beyond them and that their entire political philosophy, across the board, is to appeal to the lowest form of knuckle-draggers in society. Outrageous. Dangerous.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

BennyCake

EC Unique

Quote from: Nally Stand on July 03, 2014, 02:07:43 PM
Quote from: EC Unique on July 03, 2014, 01:14:56 PM

Unionists have collectively walked out of the talks before they've properly started. Showing, once again, that leadership is a concept beyond them and that their entire political philosophy, across the board, is to appeal to the lowest form of knuckle-draggers in society. Outrageous. Dangerous.

All about getting the votes. I've said it before... This is where democracy fails.

imtommygunn

They released stats the other day about the increase in orange marches. So the number of marches have increased significantly (was it twofold) in the last number of years yet this myth they peddle about their culture being "oppressed" is being believed by so many?

Also 4 members of ardoyne flute band were "detained" last night and there was a protest outside the police station. Nelson McCausland was one of these people protesting.

theskull1

Great progress has been made over the last lock of years  :-\
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera