It Must be Marching Season

Started by Nally Stand, June 27, 2011, 11:27:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Myles Na G. on August 02, 2013, 02:05:41 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on August 02, 2013, 11:12:17 AM
I don't believe any cause is worth a life. I can't understand why people feel the need to march. That said I am dumbfounded by the straight faced hypocrisy of unionist politicians. The only difference between all vintages of the IRA, the British Army and the old UVF is time and which side they were on. A truly shared future and parity of esteem means acknowledging all allegiances, orange and green and all flags and emblems as being equal. That particular penny hasn't quite dropped for unionists.
Compare the Brits with other regular armed forces and paramilitary groups with other irregular forces - otherwise it's just a case of comparing apples and bananas.
it would be nice to think that mng, but we all know that the british army lead unionist/loyalist death squads - so in this case it is comparing like with like when you lump the british army/ruc/udr etc etc in with uvf/lvf/ira etc.

T Fearon

As Alex Kane said only last week, Sinn Fein are experts at laying a trap for unionists to walk into every time, hence with this parade.

red hander

Quote from: lynchbhoy on August 02, 2013, 02:44:48 PM
I don't believe any cause is worth a life. I can't understand why people feel the need to march. That said I am dumbfounded by the straight faced hypocrisy of unionist politicians. The only difference between all vintages of the IRA, the British Army and the old UVF is time and which side they were on. A truly shared future and parity of esteem means acknowledging all allegiances, orange and green and all flags and emblems as being equal. That particular penny hasn't quite dropped for unionists.
Compare the Brits with other regular armed forces and paramilitary groups with other irregular forces - otherwise it's just a case of comparing apples and bananas.
it would be nice to think that mng, but we all know that the british army lead unionist/loyalist death squads - so in this case it is comparing like with like when you lump the british army/ruc/udr etc etc in with uvf/lvf/ira etc.

It wasn't just here they did it, they did it in every part of their empire (i.e., stolen countries and all their resources) where the native people rose up against oppression. Only last month William Hague apologised in the Commons for the Brits' murderous regime in Kenya ... take your blinkers off myles na gobshite

deiseach

The terrorist is the one with the small bomb - Brendan Behan

NAG1

Quote from: deiseach on August 02, 2013, 03:24:22 PM

The terrorist is the one with the smaller bomb - Brendan Behan

Fixed that for you D

Rossfan

Why?
Does it feel better if you're shot/blown up or whatever by the apples as opposed to the bananas?

Is there a "feelgooder" hierarchy of victims e.g "  Well I was blown up by a proper regular army so there! "
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

EC Unique

Quote from: Rossfan on August 02, 2013, 03:38:16 PM
Why?
Does it feel better if you're shot/blown up or whatever by the apples as opposed to the bananas?

Is there a "feelgooder" hierarchy of victims e.g "  Well I was blown up by a proper regular army so there! "

There seems to be this notion that if you wear an official uniform it makes it different. British forces and the IRA.... No difference. Both soldiers in a war.

michaelg

Quote from: EC Unique on August 02, 2013, 04:00:46 PM
Why?

There seems to be this notion that if you wear an official uniform it makes it different. British forces and the IRA.... No difference. Both soldiers in a war.
So you had no problem with IRA volunteers being shot by the British Army / SAS at Loughgall etc?

Rossfan

Were they glad they were shot by regular soldiers though?

Myles Na G.

Why?

Regular forces of sovereign democracies are accountable to their governments, who in turn are accountable to the people who elect them. The Vietnam war was brought to an end because American public opinion was sickened by the war, both by the casualties their forces were suffering and by the way in which their forces were behaving in places like My Lai. Tony Blair lost his reputation as an otherwise half decent prime minister because it was thought he had conned the public into an unpopular war in Iraq. Irregular forces generally don't have the same level of accountability. In the early 70s, the IRA defied public opinion throughout the island of Ireland by continuing to wage its campaign of violence, despite the mounting toll of civilian casualties caused by its bombing of city centres in the north and in England. Only when Sinn Fein started pursuing votes in the 80s and 90s did republicans start taking heed of the Irish people's wishes on their so called armed struggle.

tyssam5

That was a terrific deconstruction of the point you were previously attempting to make!

red hander

'Regular forces of sovereign democracies are accountable to their governments'

That would be why so many who committed crimes - including murder - here were sent to prison, sorry, er, slapped on the wrist, sent back to their regiments and promoted?

armaghniac

That would be why so many who committed crimes - including murder - here were sent to prison, sorry, er, slapped on the wrist, sent back to their regiments and promoted?

Because they only shot Paddies.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

EC Unique

Quote from: michaelg on August 02, 2013, 06:16:23 PM
Why?

So you had no problem with IRA volunteers being shot by the British Army / SAS at Loughgall etc?

War crimes. The current British government must be fed up with the amount of apology's they are being forced into issuing these days.

Rossfan

Quote from: EC Unique on August 02, 2013, 10:18:37 PM
Quote from: michaelg on August 02, 2013, 06:16:23 PM
Why?

War crimes. The current British government must be fed up with the amount of apology's ies they are being forced into issuing these days.
Fixed that for you  before Myles rides in to put you down.