It Must be Marching Season

Started by Nally Stand, June 27, 2011, 11:27:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maguire01

I see the parade in Castlederg has had heavy restrictions imposed. Sinn Féin really lose any moral high ground on the marching issue with parades like this. Totally insensitive and makes a mockery of all the talk of unionist outreach.

I'm also struggling to understand how the centre of Castlederg is a "shared space" when the Crumlin Road isn't.

glens abu

Quote from: Maguire01 on August 01, 2013, 07:37:22 PM
I see the parade in Castlederg has had heavy restrictions imposed. Sinn Féin really lose any moral high ground on the marching issue with parades like this. Totally insensitive and makes a mockery of all the talk of unionist outreach.

I'm also struggling to understand how the centre of Castlederg is a "shared space" when the Crumlin Road isn't.
[/

Balls,SF have a right to commemorate their dead and offered to reroute something the loyal orders have never done.

Puckoon

Having "the right" does not necessarily mean its the right thing to exercise it, particularly when the position exists to show leadership, and a genuine desire for a shared future while the neanderthals on the loyalist/unionist side demonstrate their total loss of control

glens abu

Quote from: Puckoon on August 01, 2013, 08:16:03 PM
Having "the right" does not necessarily mean its the right thing to exercise it, particularly when the position exists to show leadership, and a genuine desire for a shared future while the neanderthals on the loyalist/unionist side demonstrate their total loss of control

Sorry but SF will not abandon the families of dead volunteers, they will always join them in remembering their loved ones.A shared future means we all should be allowed to remember our past as long as its done with respect and by offering to reroute I believe SF tried to do that.

Puckoon

Hey, its just an alternative view point, one I think has merits when we have neanderthals on their side accusing us of the same behaviour on our side.

Maybe you can cure my curiousity - why is the march in the Derg as opposed to somewhere with a more republican tradition?

glens abu

Quote from: Puckoon on August 01, 2013, 08:34:33 PM
Hey, its just an alternative view point, one I think has merits when we have neanderthals on their side accusing us of the same behaviour on our side.

Maybe you can cure my curiousity - why is the march in the Derg as opposed to somewhere with a more republican tradition?

It's the annual Tyrone commemoration and its in Castlederg this year as its the 40 th anniversary of two volunteers who were killed when a bomb they were carrying exploded prematurely

Denn Forever

As far as I can gather, Tyrone SF (or who  ever it is) have an annual commemoration for Tyrone and have it at various locations around Tyrone.  This year it was Castlederg's turn.. Why they want to march I don't know.  Have the commemoration in a central location.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

michaelg

Quote from: glens abu on August 01, 2013, 08:38:59 PM

It's the annual Tyrone commemoration and its in Castlederg this year as its the 40 th anniversary of two volunteers who were killed when a bomb they were carrying exploded prematurely
That would be the same bomb that they were planning to kill and maim others with - Hardly worth commemorating in my opinion.

glens abu

Quote from: michaelg on August 01, 2013, 09:11:17 PM
Quote from: glens abu on August 01, 2013, 08:38:59 PM

That would be the same bomb that they were planning to kill and maim others with - Hardly worth commemorating in my opinion.

And you are entitled to that opinion. ;)

Maguire01

Quote from: glens abu on August 01, 2013, 08:11:03 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on August 01, 2013, 07:37:22 PM

Balls,SF have a right to commemorate their dead and offered to reroute something the loyal orders have never done.
With rights come responsibilities.

And it's hardly appropriate to cite the loyal orders as a benchmark of what's right. Sinn Féin talk the talk about unionist outreach, but actions like these don't equate.

I'm still not clear how the centre of Castlederg is a shared space, yet the Crumlin Road isn't.

I'll admit also that I don't see the point in parading, regardless of who's doing it. Even moreso when it's not wanted.

Maguire01

Quote from: glens abu on August 01, 2013, 08:26:46 PM

Sorry but SF will not abandon the families of dead volunteers, they will always join them in remembering their loved ones.A shared future means we all should be allowed to remember our past as long as its done with respect and by offering to reroute I believe SF tried to do that.
How can this be considered to be "done with respect" when it's marking the death of those who were on their way to the same town with a bomb? The 're-route' was nothing more than a token gesture to make it appear that SF was being accommodating whilst the Unionists were being unreasonable.

The thing is, as bad and insensitive a decision as it was to have this parade in the first place, SF had the opportunity to show they were listening to concerns, move their parade somewhere else, thereby making themselves look very reasonable (reaching out to their Unionist neighbours), and the Orange Order, by comparison, very unreasonable. As it is, we now have SF giving out about a decision by the Parades Commission to place restrictions on a contentious parade. Sound familiar?

EC Unique

Quote from: Maguire01 on August 01, 2013, 10:07:05 PM

How can this be considered to be "done with respect" when it's marking the death of those who were on their way to the same town with a bomb? The 're-route' was nothing more than a token gesture to make it appear that SF was being accommodating whilst the Unionists were being unreasonable.

The thing is, as bad and insensitive a decision as it was to have this parade in the first place, SF had the opportunity to show they were listening to concerns, move their parade somewhere else, thereby making themselves look very reasonable (reaching out to their Unionist neighbours), and the Orange Order, by comparison, very unreasonable. As it is, we now have SF giving out about a decision by the Parades Commission to place restrictions on a contentious parade. Sound familiar?

It remains to be seen if they will accept the decision and use the amended route or if they will march to police lines and wreck the place.

Maguire01

Quote from: EC Unique on August 01, 2013, 10:09:57 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on August 01, 2013, 10:07:05 PM

It remains to be seen if they will accept the decision and use the amended route or if they will march to police lines and wreck the place.
I expect they'll ensure it's the former. They wouldn't be able to speak with any authority if the latter happened - especially when it's a SF parade. But the opportunity was there to set a real example.

Myles Na G.

If the UDA / UVF decided to march to commemorate their dead volunteers and a mainstream unionist politician was giving the main speech, nationalists and republicans would quite naturally outraged. Why should it be different when it's members of IRA death squads being remembered?

qubdub

Quote from: Myles Na G. on August 02, 2013, 06:31:37 AM

If the UDA / UVF decided to march to commemorate their dead volunteers and a mainstream unionist politician was giving the main speech, nationalists and republicans would quite naturally outraged. Why should it be different when it's members of IRA death squads being remembered?
Surely you are aware of the sinister association which the OO keeps with UVF/UDA aligned flute bands. They are quite happy to not only march alongside these bands, but to also lobby their 'right' to march alongside them through contentious routes e.g. in North Belfast.

We all know that mainstream DUP members have shady pasts and associations with Loyalist and state paramilitaries, the hypocrisy from them really is something to behold.

RE the actual march, I don't think it should go ahead full stop. I don't see how a march is needed to commemorate anyone. Surely an event at a particular location would suffice.