It Must be Marching Season

Started by Nally Stand, June 27, 2011, 11:27:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rois

Had a nice relatively quiet day and now the helicopters are hovering over Ardoyne - far enough from me that I won't hear bands or sirens but close enough to know the orangemen are on their way back.

muppet

Quote from: Rois on July 12, 2013, 06:22:17 PM
Had a nice relatively quiet day and now the helicopters are hovering over Ardoyne - far enough from me that I won't hear bands or sirens but close enough to know the orangemen are on their way back.

I am in Belfast atm and just went to have a look.

The marchers look alright but some of those on the footpaths are absolutely plastered, and I mean plastered.
MWWSI 2017

Eamonnca1

I grew up in a mixed area. There was a parade or two on our road every year. We just shut the curtains and stayed inside for the five minutes it took to pass and we passed no remarks. Every year the parade got smaller and smaller until it fizzled out.

FL/MAYO

Quote from: muppet on July 12, 2013, 06:41:59 PM

The marchers look alright but some of those on the footpaths are absolutely plastered, and I mean plastered.

Go have  a look again with your Mayo jersey on for the crack :)

muppet

Quote from: FL/MAYO on July 12, 2013, 06:48:18 PM

I could have been singing The Green & Red of Mayo for all they would have noticed.

It was different earlier though. I got some very dirty looks for crossing it.
MWWSI 2017

Rois

See this day brings out the worst in me, I had the roof down in the car and happened to have Fields of Glory by the High Kings on as I passed a feeder parade this morning and I just cranked the radio up higher. sc**bag behaviour from me!

Muppet go up to Shaftsbury Square, the place is bound to resemble a bomb scene now with tins and bottles and so on. And sure c'mon over to north Belfast, I'm about to light the BBQ.

The OO started to parade down our 70s-built cul de sac when I was little - my dad complained to the police as it could hardly have been described as their traditional route. They stopped coming down it then as the police blocked them. This was before Garvaghey Rd. we had to pull down the blinds too when they were at it.

muppet

Quote from: Rois on July 12, 2013, 06:59:52 PM

See this day brings out the worst in me, I had the roof down in the car and happened to have Fields of Glory by the High Kings on as I passed a feeder parade this morning and I just cranked the radio up higher. sc**bag behaviour from me!

Muppet go up to Shaftsbury Square, the place is bound to resemble a bomb scene now with tins and bottles and so on. And sure c'mon over to north Belfast, I'm about to light the BBQ.

The OO started to parade down our 70s-built cul de sac when I was little - my dad complained to the police as it could hardly have been described as their traditional route. They stopped coming down it then as the police blocked them. This was before Garvaghey Rd. we had to pull down the blinds too when they were at it.

I was walking towards Shaftesbury Square but chickened out. Looked way to messy although I saw no trouble.

Thanks for the offer, I'd love to join you at your BBQ but I wouldn't know how to get around, or over, the culture.
MWWSI 2017

BennyCake

Quote from: T Fearon on July 12, 2013, 04:31:59 PM
Distasteful as this day is,does anyone else share my opinion that if these parades were completely ignored by the catholic/ nationalist population,the orange order itself would fizzle out comparatively shortly.

I'm not convinced. A relative of mine lives in a small village. Every year, on their march to their church, the bands split up, with one heading to the church. The other, marches totally in the opposite direction, with no church, orange hall on their route. They march through the village, and are picked up a half mile on the other side, with the cops there to protect them. They march through this village every year, and have done for the guts of a century. People pull their blinds, ignore them, but they're still doing it. There has never been a word said, or any trouble in all those years. So, ignore them and they'll go away? I don't think so. It's their wee victory over the local Catholics.

T Fearon

Muppet did you chicken out at the big KFC outlet at Shaftsbury Square?

T Fearon

I did laugh at tv news there,when that ould boy,Frank Dempsey spokesman for Carrick Hill residents slapped a wee bald Orangeman on the head with a newspaper,for being Lippy as his lodge marched past St Patrick's Church.Both are pensioners! Two ould eejits! Any wonder Obama wanted to talk to the youth on his recent visit?

Eamonnca1

Quote from: BennyCake on July 12, 2013, 07:08:44 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on July 12, 2013, 04:31:59 PM
Distasteful as this day is,does anyone else share my opinion that if these parades were completely ignored by the catholic/ nationalist population,the orange order itself would fizzle out comparatively shortly.

I'm not convinced. A relative of mine lives in a small village. Every year, on their march to their church, the bands split up, with one heading to the church. The other, marches totally in the opposite direction, with no church, orange hall on their route. They march through the village, and are picked up a half mile on the other side, with the cops there to protect them. They march through this village every year, and have done for the guts of a century. People pull their blinds, ignore them, but they're still doing it. There has never been a word said, or any trouble in all those years. So, ignore them and they'll go away? I don't think so. It's their wee victory over the local Catholics.

Is that village a mixed area though?

I often think that a lot of it is about getting a reaction. It'd be far better crack for them if they provoked protests. They get more satisfaction out of marching where they're not wanted than marching on their own turf. When they got away with it for years they could gloat about how they were kings of the castle and no uppity Fenians could do anything about it. That's why they're having a collective nervous breakdown over the flag at city hall, it's a sign that they're losing the control that they see as a birthright.

red hander

It's all kicked off apparently ... really hope the Brits over in 'the mainland' and who they claim to be part of are proud of their mongrel race implanted in our land when they watch the News tonight

BennyCake

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on July 12, 2013, 07:18:13 PM
Is that village a mixed area though?

I often think that a lot of it is about getting a reaction. It'd be far better crack for them if they provoked protests. They get more satisfaction out of marching where they're not wanted than marching on their own turf. When they got away with it for years they could gloat about how they were kings of the castle and no uppity Fenians could do anything about it. That's why they're having a collective nervous breakdown over the flag at city hall, it's a sign that they're losing the control that they see as a birthright.

100% catholic. Always was.

Heard an ex-policeman earlier telling Protestants to ignore the parades commissions ruling. The only way they'll recognise a Parades Commission or similar body, is when they get 100% of their marches the way they want. Until then, they'll choose to ignore the law. Laws that have been made by QE2's govt. The same queen they are to loyal to.

give her dixie

next stop, September 10, for number 4......