It Must be Marching Season

Started by Nally Stand, June 27, 2011, 11:27:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EC Unique

Quote from: All of a Sludden on July 09, 2013, 10:45:03 PM
Only in Norn Iron would they build a bonfire under some power lines, then the electricity company decided to come out and take down said  power lines leaving homes without power for the best part of a day, obviously they will reinstall the power lines after the fire is out.
Moving the fire hasn't yet crossed anyones mind it seems.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-23223564

All good as it drives the decent local people further from the scum that build these. All a means to an end.

BennyCake

Is it just me, or is there alot more flags (larger ones too), bunting etc up this year than last year? Some folk feeling a little insecure, maybe?

glens abu

Quote from: BennyCake on July 10, 2013, 12:30:27 AM
Is it just me, or is there alot more flags (larger ones too), bunting etc up this year than last year? Some folk feeling a little insecure, maybe?

Without a doubt a lot more flags up and bigger ones in a lot of areas but I also think there are fewer flags flying form peoples homes than in previous years.Think the flag protesters and the UDA,UVF are sticking flags on everything that stands still for 5 mins.

NAG1

Quote from: glens abu on July 10, 2013, 08:56:30 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on July 10, 2013, 12:30:27 AM

Without a doubt a lot more flags up and bigger ones in a lot of areas but I also think there are fewer flags flying form peoples homes than in previous years.Think the flag protesters and the UDA,UVF are sticking flags on everything that stands still for 5 mins.

Have to say I am really enjoying the Northern Ireland soccer flags being hung along side the OO and UVF flags all over the place too. Up to our knees and all that  ;)

omagh_gael

A small detail but the glorious weather is bound to increase the chances of riots. There'll be a lot more drink taken and scumbags out who wouldn't bother their holes if the ground was wet. A perfect storm brewing. By the way the drink/scumbags points refer to both sides of the community.

armaghniac

Apparently Met Eireann are going to issue an "Orange alert" for Friday and the weekend.
Something to do with the weather  :P
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Nally Stand

Andersonstown News tweet this evening:
"Statue of Virgin Mary goes up on Lanark Way bonfire. In an added outrage, the face has been hacked off. Story and pics in shops shortly"

"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Oraisteach

Good point, omagh-gael, but I wouldn't be so quick to lay the blame for violence at the feet of alcohol.

I blame ice-cream.  Once ice-cream sales soar, so does violence.  Watch out for those 99s with their in-built chocolate shivs and beware the razor-sharp edges on those wafers (do they still sell wafers?).

Oraisteach

Any pictures, Nally?

And how many pallets do they go through on 11th night?

Here's footage of the Lanark Way bonfire being built: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAp13txT1N8

ziggysego

Just being curious, but is there any specific significant to the 11th Night's Bomb Fire?
Testing Accessibility

Nally Stand

"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

An awful amount of Scottish flegs up. Must be the anti Alex Salmondites campaigning early.

Or maybe they support the Yes campaign. Hard to know if they're British or Scottish this time of year.
"Something wrong with your eyes?....
Yes, they're sensitive to questions!"

Orior

Was talking to one of the cleaners in my office today. She never misses a Twelfth parade and hates St Patricks Day. She didnt realise I was a taig.

Turns out that one of the most important and prestigious jobs on the eleventh night is lighting the bonfire. And one the cleaning lady's colleagues is a bonfire lighter. Pillar of society, eh?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians