Help Needed About County Crests

Started by David McKeown, February 20, 2007, 09:31:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David McKeown

Does anyone know where I could get information on why a number of county boards changed their crests a few years ago?  I remember Armagh doing it and someone saying it was to do with the city council, anyone any more info?
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

youbetterbelieveit

The Main reason why the majority of county boards changed their county crest, was in order for them to have control over the copyright of the image, I know this was the reason in limerick.

There was a number of multiples selling cheap tops with county names and logos on them, and therefore the coutny boards wanted to try and curb this and sell more county merchandise.

Six Inch Nail

Agree youbetterbelieveit.  In fact I think it was the only reason for changing it.  There was an article in The Irish News around the time counties were changing.  As far as I know Cavan were the first Ulster county to do it, but it was all to do with rights and money.
Silverbridge Harps GAC, Co. Armagh

thewingedlady

Aye basically countiy boards beforehand were using their county coat of arms which weren't necessarile GAA badges of origin and which weren't protected by Copyright law, thus anyone in the country could make merchandise for county teams using the same badge that appears on official merchandise. If anyone were to do it now would be copyright infringement.

timmykelleher

Rumour has it that the triangle shape that passes for a GAA logo was made up for the same reason.
In the olden times a Celtic cross was good enough for a logo but money talks....
Corcaigh - McGrath cup champions - 2009

Evil Genius

Quote from: timmykelleher on February 21, 2007, 10:16:09 AM
In the olden times a Celtic cross was good enough for a logo but money talks....

Maybe the IFA would sell you their Celtic Cross*? They need the money and the GAA could pay for it with the rent they're receiving for Croke from the FAI!

* - The four shamrocks come free, as a "luckpenny  ;)
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Croí na hÉireann

Rumour has it that the triangle shape that passes for a GAA logo was made up for the same reason.

IMHO the GAA logo is an excellent logo as sporting logos go...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

WeeDonns

What do you think of this use of county crests?

From a copyright pov, would the county boards be able to object to the use of their crests?
http://balls.ie/gaa/theyre-pissing-dublin-tyrone-mayo-pub/

Aristo 60

Quote from: David McKeown on February 20, 2007, 09:31:35 AM
Does anyone know where I could get information on why a number of county boards changed their crests a few years ago?  I remember Armagh doing it and someone saying it was to do with the city council, anyone any more info?

Are there many board users that go under their real names? Or is David one of few?

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Aristo 60 on September 19, 2013, 03:28:44 PM
Quote from: David McKeown on February 20, 2007, 09:31:35 AM

Are there many board users that go under their real names? Or is David one of few?

T. Fearon has his first name shortened.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

lawnseed

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on February 21, 2007, 11:27:12 AM

I thought the hurler and footballer badge was class cant understand why it was changed
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

Eamonnca1

I thought it was clever once I figured out what it was, although I was never crazy about the overall shape. And it didn't really catch on. I like their treatment of the new one though.

Eamonnca1

Since the LGFA and Camogie aren't part of the GAA they can't use the new logos, so you'll still see the local government crests on their jerseys.

Maguire01

Quote from: lawnseed on September 19, 2013, 08:10:23 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on February 21, 2007, 11:27:12 AM

I thought the hurler and footballer badge was class cant understand why it was changed
Thought it was nice at the time, but dated very quickly.