Depression

Started by Eamonnca1, October 25, 2013, 09:11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Are the stats not supposed to be very high - something like 1 in 3 will suffer from some form of depression at some time in their life?

ThroughTheLaces

Somebody asked the question before and nobody really picked up on it, but how do you know if you're depressed? I know that sounds like a silly question but I often find myself feeling very low, even though I've a pretty good life at the minute.  When I say 'low' I mean, I could be in a crowd of people and I could just be in a completely different place in my head, thinking an awful lot, wondering if I've made the correct decisions in my life, maybe I should have done this, maybe I shouldn't have done that etc. Obviously there are various stages / cases of depression, but what is the difference from me being depressed and just being a little bitch and feeling sorry for myself? I wouldn't say im moody but id go from full of life to very reserved.  Bad relationship experience and work probably fuelled it more than usual. That's a few months ago and in that time ive taken a serious amount of drink. Not what I would call 'bad drinking' ie sitting on my own at the bar, ive enjoyed the company but once the bars shut and everyone goes home the heads away into overdrive again. I also know it does no good whatsoever. I've probably tried to talk to a few people about it but that's only when the drinks in, and I know that's not the way to go about it. I wouldn't say im massively depressed, im normally a very outgoing and optimistic person, but the last few months just feels like no matter what I do theres something missing and I can never get full enjoyment out of anything. Its not the normal me and I thought it would pass, but it hasn't.  As I said, I don't want to insult anyone with my small problems as there seem to be a lot of serious sufferers here. Im just trying to distinguish whether or not I have some form of depression / bi-polar? or im just feeling sorry for myself.
The apple never falls far from the tree.

Asal Mor

Quote from: seafoid on October 31, 2013, 05:17:43 PM
Conor Cusack on Prime time last night

http://www.rte.ie/player/ch/show/10217449/
at around 43 mins

He did a powerful job.

Wow! Powerful is the word. Fair play to him. Brave men in that family.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: ThroughTheLaces on November 01, 2013, 11:37:07 PM
Somebody asked the question before and nobody really picked up on it, but how do you know if you're depressed? I know that sounds like a silly question but I often find myself feeling very low, even though I've a pretty good life at the minute.  When I say 'low' I mean, I could be in a crowd of people and I could just be in a completely different place in my head, thinking an awful lot, wondering if I've made the correct decisions in my life, maybe I should have done this, maybe I shouldn't have done that etc. Obviously there are various stages / cases of depression, but what is the difference from me being depressed and just being a little bitch and feeling sorry for myself? I wouldn't say im moody but id go from full of life to very reserved.  Bad relationship experience and work probably fuelled it more than usual. That's a few months ago and in that time ive taken a serious amount of drink. Not what I would call 'bad drinking' ie sitting on my own at the bar, ive enjoyed the company but once the bars shut and everyone goes home the heads away into overdrive again. I also know it does no good whatsoever. I've probably tried to talk to a few people about it but that's only when the drinks in, and I know that's not the way to go about it. I wouldn't say im massively depressed, im normally a very outgoing and optimistic person, but the last few months just feels like no matter what I do theres something missing and I can never get full enjoyment out of anything. Its not the normal me and I thought it would pass, but it hasn't.  As I said, I don't want to insult anyone with my small problems as there seem to be a lot of serious sufferers here. Im just trying to distinguish whether or not I have some form of depression / bi-polar? or im just feeling sorry for myself.
For me it sounds like your awakening to a more conscious presence within you, it feels like your becoming more aware of your thoughts, you see most of the world are never aware of their ego or depression etc.. and they go through their whole life unconscious and keeping there mind as busy as possible so they don't have to face any of the internal issues, when you become more aware its a painful experience initially, because you see all the darkness within you and you have choice to keep the mind as busy as possible or face your internal pain and heal it. Depression is where your weighed down by life and suppressing all your issues, and its a dangerous thing because they more you suppressed has a habit of exploding in future into a giant wave. I actually believe we are all depressed at different levels and just some keep there minds busy enough to just ignore it.

For example everyone has an internal dialogue in their head, how many people are even aware of that? Most are identified with it and therefore at the mercy of their ego and mind which means they have no power to control certain reactions within themselves. i would advise you to go deeply into this low feeling and work with it, see it as an invitation to become more conscious, which will bring loads of rewards in terms of feeling more alive and awake eventually after the initial pain. You'll see to that really the external circumstances doesn't really matter too much if the internal is not at peace.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

muppet

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on November 02, 2013, 08:02:59 AM
For me it sounds like your awakening to a more conscious presence within you, it feels like your becoming more aware of your thoughts, you see most of the world are never aware of their ego or depression etc.. and they go through their whole life unconscious and keeping there mind as busy as possible so they don't have to face any of the internal issues, when you become more aware its a painful experience initially, because you see all the darkness within you and you have choice to keep the mind as busy as possible or face your internal pain and heal it. Depression is where your weighed down by life and suppressing all your issues, and its a dangerous thing because they more you suppressed has a habit of exploding in future into a giant wave. I actually believe we are all depressed at different levels and just some keep there minds busy enough to just ignore it.

For example everyone has an internal dialogue in their head, how many people are even aware of that? Most are identified with it and therefore at the mercy of their ego and mind which means they have no power to control certain reactions within themselves. i would advise you to go deeply into this low feeling and work with it, see it as an invitation to become more conscious, which will bring loads of rewards in terms of feeling more alive and awake eventually after the initial pain. You'll see to that really the external circumstances doesn't really matter too much if the internal is not at peace.

I was wondering how someone would go about answering Throughtthelaces post and I can see why I am better leaving it to people who know what they are talking about. Well done to both of you.
MWWSI 2017

Asal Mor

It might be worth cutting down on the drink for a while and seeing how you feel then. It's good that all your drinking is social but it's still a powerful depressant.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: muppet on November 02, 2013, 09:39:12 AM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on November 02, 2013, 08:02:59 AM

I was wondering how someone would go about answering Throughtthelaces post and I can see why I am better leaving it to people who know what they are talking about. Well done to both of you.
That means a lot, thanks muppet..

I just wanted to share another bit of knowledge i was thinking about today which i gained along the way which i think is relevant, is acknowledgement of that inner voice, that inner pain, your ego, that low feeling they are a part of you too and your past experiences, don't run, face it all and you may stumble, you may fall, you may resist at the start (i know i do) and allow all of that too, but in time, in time you will want to pass through it and you may even get to a place of that deep acceptance and wanting the challenges to grow,  and even if it takes the rest of your life, isn't that a life worth living rather than just running away keeping the mind busy, and being someone your not. Find someone who will allow you the space to be where you don't have to pretend that everything is great even if externally it is but isn't internal all that matters really. Acknowledge, allow and accept (want), release, and move forward.....let life move through you.

Take the first step and you'll realise the above for yourself eventually.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Eamonnca1

I wouldn't get too hung up on definitions of what is depression and what isn't because there's a lot of shades of grey.  I would just take the precautions I listed in the OP and try to make sure it doesn't spiral downward into something worse.

ThroughTheLaces

Sligonian you seem to talk a lot of sense, good to have advice and hear opinions on the whole thing. I'd probably consider myself an over thinker and always have been. I get inside my own head far too much and over analyse things. I always try and look on the positives in my life but even the smallest of negatives can take over my thoughts and it's frustrating. Facing up to the negatives is something I probably don't want to do but as you say perhaps the rewards for doing so will be worth it. Really appreciate the response, thank you for that.
The apple never falls far from the tree.

Croí na hÉireann

Heard a nice story over the weekend which might help some here. Friend of a friend was suffering from depression and not really getting anywhere with his psychologist. Psychologist said that writing a letter to his hero may help and to include anything and everything that was bothering him. His hero is a very prolific Irish sports star, adored by some, despised by others. Anyway not only did he get a lovely letter in return but on his birthday he got a phone call from his hero. What's more, he has got a phone call every month since to see how he is doing. And he's doing much better apparently, which was nice to hear. Makes you very proud of all our sports stars who do great work off the field to help people less fortunate than them.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

muppet

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on November 04, 2013, 09:51:48 AM
Heard a nice story over the weekend which might help some here. Friend of a friend was suffering from depression and not really getting anywhere with his psychologist. Psychologist said that writing a letter to his hero may help and to include anything and everything that was bothering him. His hero is a very prolific Irish sports star, adored by some, despised by others. Anyway not only did he get a lovely letter in return but on his birthday he got a phone call from his hero. What's more, he has got a phone call every month since to see how he is doing. And he's doing much better apparently, which was nice to hear. Makes you very proud of all our sports stars who do great work off the field to help people less fortunate than them.

Good story.
MWWSI 2017

screenexile

Roy Keane?!

Good article by Brolly about Depression:

http://gaeliclife.com/2013/11/brolly-lifes-a-bitch-and-then-you-die/

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: screenexile on November 04, 2013, 10:03:48 AM

Roy Keane?!

Good article by Brolly about Depression:

http://gaeliclife.com/2013/11/brolly-lifes-a-bitch-and-then-you-die/

Not saying, if they wanted it to be made public it would be in the media. I was gonna go with "loved by some, hated by others" but then yous would think it was Pat Spillane. Nice article by Brolly alright and good metaphor of trying to get people back to shore.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Hound

My limited experience indicates you need to be lucky to get a good psychologist. Of the two people I know who suffer, one's visits seemed to make no difference, and the other definitely got a lot worse afterwards (maybe they would got even worse without the visits, I dunno)

5 Sams

I hear John Murray made an emotional return to work this morning on RTE after being off work for 6 months with depression.
The Aristocrat Years