Donegal to become part of UK?

Started by T Fearon, November 22, 2017, 08:18:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rosnarun

Quote from: bennydorano on November 22, 2017, 03:20:10 PM
Taylor has often talked about Donegal, I can recall reading an article where he'd said he'd far rather have taken Donegal in Partition and left parts of Tyrone and Armagh to the Free State.

sounds fair enough, or just take donegal  inishown anyway they're not sure what country they are in up there
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

gallsman

Taylor has often talked about Donegal, I can recall reading an article where he'd said he'd far rather have taken Donegal in Partition and left parts of Tyrone and Armagh to the Free State.

Yeah, what he means is that he would have liked the proddy bits of Donegal (and North Monaghan) and not South Armagh and West Tyrone areas overrun with Fenians

Syferus

Quote from: J70 on November 22, 2017, 02:08:26 PM
How often do you hear of people visiting Ireland and doing the circuit from Dublin to Kerry to Galway and back? The government has traditionally done little to promote Donegal as a tourist destination, whether it's through simple access issues via road/rail or advertising or whatever. We're slightly trendy now due to attention from international off-the-beaten-track-type hype and Star Wars, but how long will that last? Even during the height of the Celtic Tiger, unemployment was still high there. The border fucked Donegal for decades.

Don't ruin it. Donegal is one the best places in the country for a weekend away.

Once you get past Cliffony on the N15 you may as well be entering another world. It's as unique a landscape as anything in the Burren or the King of Kerry but with far less Disneyification of everything else.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: gallsman on November 22, 2017, 03:45:37 PM

Yeah, what he means is that he would have liked the proddy bits of Donegal (and North Monaghan) and not South Armagh and West Tyrone areas overrun with Fenians

Where were the main centres of Protestantism in Donegal pre-partition?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

johnneycool

Quote from: Farrandeelin on November 22, 2017, 08:00:38 PM

Knew a lad from Lifford of the Protestant variety, farming stock which was no surprise. Sound lad.

J70

Quote from: Rossfan on November 22, 2017, 08:18:51 PM
The good land  parts !!

Big time. Definitely the case in south Donegal where I'm from.

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

J70

Quote from: armaghniac on November 23, 2017, 03:08:02 PM

Yep. Overlay land suitability for hill walking/sheep farming versus dairy and even arable farming and the point is driven home.

Itchy

Is he the guy that was shot in the head a number of times and didn't die? Only one explanation for that.

Minder

Taylor in a bit of bother tonight, referring to Varadkar as "the Indian"......
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

GJL

Quote from: Minder on November 23, 2017, 09:07:26 PM
Taylor in a bit of bother tonight, referring to Varadkar as "the Indian"......

Lol. Someone should take him back to the old people's home 

Rois

Quote from: Farrandeelin on November 22, 2017, 08:00:38 PM

Raphoe still is - the Strabane Weekly is the "other" paper and covers that part of Donegal.
Off to Fundoran tomorrow (like half of Tyrone I'd say) and looking fwd to a few nights in the Great Northern!

Boycey

Mr Taylor doing some serious backtracking on Twitter. A ridiculous thing to say in fairness, his excuse is pretty lame too.