American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stew

Quote from: Oraisteach on September 15, 2017, 05:16:37 PM
Stew, I have to disagree with you about the Browns and Cleveland's attitude to sports.  You say that the Browns are a disgrace (which is true) and have been since their inception, which is decidedly not true.  Cleveland has won football championships in 24, 45, 50, 54, 55, and 64, but just not recently.  I know you've heard of Cleveland's Jim Brown, the greatest running back of all time, in the opinion of a lot of people.  And on the second point, Clevelanders are not at all happy with just finishing second. We are proud of our teams through all those near misses, but not happy.  I felt proud of Armagh in '77 when we got hammered by the Dubs in the AIF, but I was neither satisfied nor happy.  Cleveland sports fans feel the same way.  Like Armagh in 2002, our day will come.  We've won the NBA title, thanks largely to LeBron (a NE Ohio product), and the Indians are in with a serious shot this year.  Did you see the huge sea of people that greeted the Cavs title. It will be even bigger if the Indians do it. I do appreciate that you acknowledge how rabid Cleveland sports fans are.

I want to see them do well, I really do as long as my teams are out of contention, they have suffered enough as have the Bills fans, I really feel for them as well, in the case of the Browns  they seem to be completely and utterly useless.

By the way, the greatest running back in the history of the sport was probably either Jim Thorp or my personal favourite player of all time, Bo Jackson, Barry Saunders was sublime also as was Jim Brown.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Oraisteach

Hoping the Indians can win 27 straight.  Think that would tie them with the number of starting QBs the Browns have had since '99.

magpie seanie

Walter Payton anyone? Doesn't even warrant a mention. To me he was the greatest.

magpie seanie

I think the Browns have been crippled by an over eagerness to succeed and they've gone for quick fixes in the past. I feel they're looking at playing the long game now and that's the correct route to go. Kizer will be decent and they'll win a few games this season. They'll build through the drafts.

stew

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 16, 2017, 10:35:40 AM
I think the Browns have been crippled by an over eagerness to succeed and they've gone for quick fixes in the past. I feel they're looking at playing the long game now and that's the correct route to go. Kizer will be decent and they'll win a few games this season. They'll build through the drafts.

They are good enough to build through the drafts. they have a proven history of stinking the place up in the drafts.

Oraisteach

Stew, I think that you and Seanie are both right.  Eager to succeed right away, they made horrible draft picks.  And, Seanie, I do think that Walter "sweetness" Payton deserves inclusion in the top RBs of all time.

stew

Quote from: Oraisteach on September 16, 2017, 03:32:18 PM
Stew, I think that you and Seanie are both right.  Eager to succeed right away, they made horrible draft picks.  And, Seanie, I do think that Walter "sweetness" Payton deserves inclusion in the top RBs of all time.
Sweetness is definitely up there, he was a Cadillac, smooth as silk and beautiful to look at in full flight, Barry Saunders was a different kind of RB, that man could cut you in two and have you going two ways at once, his footwork and balance were otherworldly, my man Bo, well Bo could hit you and knock you on your ass or he could side step you and get gone in a hurry, I love watching these guys, they were magnificent.

Wildweasel74

So Stew,Green Bay have won 2 titles in  60yrs (yeah 6oyrs going back to Starr,) hardly titletown, a city living in the past, they be Ireland's Equivalent of Cavan, whats the patriots, Steelers won in the past 15-20yrs?

stew

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on September 16, 2017, 05:24:56 PM
So Stew,Green Bay have won 2 titles in  60yrs (yeah 6oyrs going back to Starr,) hardly titletown, a city living in the past, they be Ireland's Equivalent of Cavan, whats the patriots, Steelers won in the past 15-20yrs?

Wildweasel, you might want to pick a different fight kid! )

in the past 56 years I believe the packers have won seven titles, you know, of the world kind, 7 titles out of 56 with 32 or so,  give or take teams coming at them, so they deserve the title of titletown USA.

Wildweasel74

My mistake from 1967 and the end of Starr, 2 in 50 years is it not, 1996 and 2010, big title hitters alright, patriots have hit 5 in  the last 15yrs for comparison and they aint even Americas team!!

stew

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on September 16, 2017, 08:16:25 PM
My mistake from 1967 and the end of Starr, 2 in 50 years is it not, 1996 and 2010, big title hitters alright, patriots have hit 5 in  the last 15yrs for comparison and they aint even Americas team!!

Quit when you are behind, to be fair you did not realise that Green Bay was called Titletown prior to your newly amended, cherry picked timeframe.

Even at that, 2 in fifty years is some handlin.

Wildweasel74

Like i said living in the past, 50 years is not a cherry picked time frame, normally you look at the past 10, 20, or 25 yrs then 50, saying you said they were title town for the number of titles they have won, you nearly have to go back 50yrs to find any sort of golden generation from Green Bay, They have been surpassed by the steelers, Patriots, even 49ers and Cowboys, Redskins and Giants have won more titles in the meantime

stew

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on September 16, 2017, 08:59:47 PM
Like i said living in the past, 50 years is not a cherry picked time frame, normally you look at the past 10, 20, or 25 yrs then 50, saying you said they were title town for the number of titles they have won, you nearly have to go back 50yrs to find any sort of golden generation from Green Bay, They have been surpassed by the steelers, Patriots, even 49ers and Cowboys, Redskins and Giants have won more titles in the meantime
You were careless with your figures and you got bit, you then doubled down and mention teams that cannot even come close to Green Bays record, there are over thirty teams in the NFL and one winner every year, the Packers have won 7 titles in 56 years and two in the past 20 years, Green Bay is Titletown USA and will forever be Titletown USA because smply put, they are the best franchise in US sporting history, they have an unrivalled legacy of greatness, they have been sold out since forever and they will never play in front of a less than capacity crowd, the Packers are loved world wide and the people own them, not some billionaire venture capitalist like Cuban. Oh yeah, I am a Pats fan as I lived in Salem for two years before I sat foot in Green Bay.

You cant weasel your way out of those facts kid, aint happenin.  :P

gallsman

Quote from: stew on September 16, 2017, 09:24:20 PMthey are the best franchise in US sporting history, they have an unrivalled legacy of greatness,

There's a wee upstart team from New York, think they're called the Yankees or something similar, that might dispute that.

RealSpiritof98

Saturday night once again and yet again I get home from work at 10pm and now enjoying a glass of wine and loving college football. Florida gators game v good finish