Terenure College

Started by Loughers, December 05, 2006, 02:31:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loughers

I see that they won a junior football title in only their second year competing.  Pillar had a couple of nephews on it.  When will we see Gonzaga, St. Michaels and Clongoes lift silverware?  Hell freezing over sooner, maybe?  At least Blackrock make an effort with gaelic games as well.  Is there any GAA school that makes such efforts to keep out other games as rugby schools?  My own alma mater, an All-Ireland senior hurling colleges winner, would let Olympic tiddlywinks in, if people wanted it.

Mayo4Sam

My old school st muredachs never had a soccer team while i was there, have changed since but i dont think its a one way thing.
Didn't blackrock win an AI soccer title a few years ago and it was barely acclaimed
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

dodo

That was the Mark Vaughan inspired win for Blackrock College.

Dinny Breen

Was that not Alan Lee that inspired that?
#newbridgeornowhere

The Bottom Brick

Yeah Blackrock beat St Pats Cavan in that soccer final.

St Pats were in their second year having a soccer team. Some of the old priests in St Pats would be rolling in their graves... ::)
33, 35, 47, 48, 52, 07!

dodo

"Vaughan never grew up with the GAA. He began playing football with Kilmacud Crokes only when he was 16. Rugby and soccer were his games.

After he scored 17 goals in nine matches to lead Blackrock College to a first All-Ireland Schools soccer title in 2003, he had a trial with the Irish U-19 squad. Playing in Croke Park that summer, though, confirmed to him where he wanted to perform. "

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2094-1903051_1,00.html

Bogball XV

It's only Terenure junior school, the senior school does not and will not play.  Also, I think Pillar had a nephew on both sides playing in the final, not 2 at Terenure.

bottlethrower7

lots of ballyboden lads and the odd lad from judes in Terenure.

rolloutking

What would your name be Bottom Brick. Your obiously a handballer. Dont say ur Paul ok!

anglocelt39

In fairness bottom brick I think the priests have enough turning in their graves to do at the way the GAH has gone in pat's (well at senior level anyway) without getting worked up about the garrison games march
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

tayto

Quote from: Bogball XV on December 05, 2006, 03:05:12 PM
It's only Terenure junior school, the senior school does not and will not play.

I wouldnt be too sure about that, these schools are slowly opening up to GAA due to the number of club members attending them, it's a real sign of the growth of the GAA in south Dublin.

bottlethrower7

Stephen Hiney is a past-pupil there.

tayto

didnt Keaney go there as well, or was that gonzaga [sp??]

Bogball XV

Keaney was Terenure

Quote from: tayto on December 06, 2006, 09:36:12 AM
I wouldnt be too sure about that, these schools are slowly opening up to GAA due to the number of club members attending them, it's a real sign of the growth of the GAA in south Dublin.
Or is it a sign of celtic tiger wealth and prosperity having  more effect on the gah than other sporting classes?

tayto

Well whatever it is, you've hardcore rugby schools opening up to the idea of fielding gaelic football and hurling teams, which can only be a good thing.