Donegal v Kerry AIQF

Started by RMDrive, July 28, 2012, 08:42:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

I  think Donegal are going to win this. This team looks like the real deal. 
Kerry won their all Ireland beating a banjaxed Tyrone 

"This was as good as an All-Ireland. Kerry have finally quelled the 10-year Tyrone rebellion" :o

thebuzz

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 29, 2012, 07:53:18 PM
There is alot of talk here of Kerry getting beaten by Donegal, Although it could happen and would not be the biggest of Surprises. But we have to ask why are Donegal getting such a high billing? Don't get me wrong, i delighted there is a new team on the block to challenge, but we still have not seen this team at the business end to make our mind up yet. As for Kerry, we've seen them at the business end year in year out and they usually are up to scratch. True Donegal they have had successive defeats of Tyrone, but we have seen this Tyrone have been a rather spent force since 2008 and we have seen them beat Kildare who have lost to Meath, Down, Wicklow, Louth in Championship football in the last couple of years. Anyway give JMG and the lads a bit of level ground, Don't be putting them on higher ground before their time. JMG has done a marvelous job, i just hope people don't have expectations beyond their development.

I'm sure I mentioned this before on a different thread. Did Kerry not beat Donegal rather easily in the League at home? I know there is a world of difference between the two competions but surely most of the same personnel were involved in the League game or did I just imagine that it happened?

screenexile

Quote from: thebuzz on July 30, 2012, 02:31:24 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on July 29, 2012, 07:53:18 PM
There is alot of talk here of Kerry getting beaten by Donegal, Although it could happen and would not be the biggest of Surprises. But we have to ask why are Donegal getting such a high billing? Don't get me wrong, i delighted there is a new team on the block to challenge, but we still have not seen this team at the business end to make our mind up yet. As for Kerry, we've seen them at the business end year in year out and they usually are up to scratch. True Donegal they have had successive defeats of Tyrone, but we have seen this Tyrone have been a rather spent force since 2008 and we have seen them beat Kildare who have lost to Meath, Down, Wicklow, Louth in Championship football in the last couple of years. Anyway give JMG and the lads a bit of level ground, Don't be putting them on higher ground before their time. JMG has done a marvelous job, i just hope people don't have expectations beyond their development.

I'm sure I mentioned this before on a different thread. Did Kerry not beat Donegal rather easily in the League at home? I know there is a world of difference between the two competions but surely most of the same personnel were involved in the League game or did I just imagine that it happened?

Donegal were missing quite a few during the league but Kerry did tear them asunder that day. All the talk about Kerry beating Tyrone will be for nothing if they don't go on and win an All Ireland after it and a beating by Donegal will be just as bad as Tyrone beating them in terms of what will be said.

It's all or nothing from Kerry but I just don't think they will do it this time!

Keane

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Keane on July 30, 2012, 04:18:39 PM
What's Marty Duffy like?

Jeez Keane, what galaxy have you been hanging out in lately?  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Keane on July 30, 2012, 04:18:39 PM
What's Marty Duffy like?

Spends all his summer holidays in Donegal if all-stars were given out for referees he would have more than Stephen Cluxton.

Keane

Straight answers are like hen's teeth on this forum.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: JHume on July 30, 2012, 12:42:49 PM
Quote from: drici on July 30, 2012, 11:54:46 AM
Martin Duffy.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

My thoughts exactly.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Seamus

Quote from: Onlooker on July 30, 2012, 12:40:49 AM
Quote from: Seamus on July 28, 2012, 10:35:00 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on July 28, 2012, 10:04:24 PM
It's Gas if Kerry lose, they'll have the Northern thing thrown back in their face again! Can you imagine!  ;D

There is no Northern team left.
You are not great at gegraphy, seamus.  Did no teacher ever tell you that Donegal is the most northerly county in Ireland.

Maybe not Onlooker, what exactly is it?
"I wish I could inspire the same confidence in the truth which is so readily accorded to lies".

Farrandeelin

Quote from: mlcollins on July 29, 2012, 12:47:29 PM
Do you really? Really i don't think they will,Really.

Too many reallys.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Hardy

Like a Cavan football team.

SuperDooperCooper

I have to say I am a tad annoyed by the tone of the comments here and a little bit of balance needed. Those who say Kerry can't win tight games look at the losses only - here are the tight victories:
2012 QR2 v Westmeath;
2011 MF v Cork; 
2010 MSF replay v Cork; MF v Limerick; 
2009 AIF v Cork; AISF v Meath; QR4 v Antrim; QR3 v Sligo; 
2008 AISF Replay v Cork; AIQF v Galway; QR4 v Monaghan; 
2007 AISF v Dublin; AIQF v Monaghan; MF v Cork
2006 AISF v Cork; AIQF v Armagh

Kerry have only lost to great teams in knockout football - Dublin 2011 (which was thrown away with a lot of help from an inept refereing performance) Tyrone 05 & 08 - were great games with Tyrone better on the day, disappointing from a Kerry point of view but not a disgrace to have lost those two games to a great team. Tyrone 03 was a blowout even if we were only 4 down going into injury time; Tyrone scored 3 points in injury time to win 0-13 to 0-6. Down 2010 was the only time we lost to a team that was inferior to us (not on on the day but we had the better team but didn't perform on the day). 

What i could never understand is why Tyrone never got criticism for not achieving more with the team they had. That team should have contested more than three All-Irelands but losing to Mayo 04, Laois 06, Meath 07, while being destroyed by Cork 09, Dublin 11 & Kerry 12 is a poor return for such a talented team with consistent underage success. The question I have for the posters here is - did Tyrone choke in those years?

We are rightly proud of this team that we had the privilege of supporting since the end of the famine in 1997. Win or lose on Sunday we will continue to support the team and will continue to dispel the myths surrounding this team. In the history of the GAA only two team have been more consistent than this team Kilkenny (2000 - present) and Kerry (1975 to 1986). 

The end may come on Sunday, time will tell, however the last time this forum was in such unanimity over the result of a Kerry vs Ulster champions didn't work out too badly for us.

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: seafoid on July 30, 2012, 09:27:03 AM
Quote from: Mike Sheehy on July 30, 2012, 05:08:50 AM
Quote from: seafoid on July 29, 2012, 10:27:53 PM
Donegal look like they have come on a good bit from last year and Kerry have been used to getting bitch slapped around in recent seasons.

no pogrom keeping you busy these days ?
touchy down in dherastan are we?

we won't be lectured by Antrim's plaything. Anyway, I thought sneaky jibes at the Mayo lads was more your form. cretin

seafoid

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on July 30, 2012, 08:31:17 PM
Quote from: seafoid on July 30, 2012, 09:27:03 AM
Quote from: Mike Sheehy on July 30, 2012, 05:08:50 AM
Quote from: seafoid on July 29, 2012, 10:27:53 PM
Donegal look like they have come on a good bit from last year and Kerry have been used to getting bitch slapped around in recent seasons.

no pogrom keeping you busy these days ?
touchy down in dherastan are we?

we won't be lectured by Antrim's plaything.

Yes you will. You just were !
You can't help yourself anyway.

Donegal to do it this weekend. Kerry will then need to win 4 out of the next 7 all Irelands before spillane can crow on RTE about being de team of de decade.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSDd9IZ4ZIA

Great teams put all irelands back to back. Not lost all Ireland finals.

CorkMan

I have to agree with what Brolly said last night. If a team stays with Kerry til the end of a game they are likely to beat them, if they have any sort of mental strength. Tyrone and Armagh did. Dublin did. Cork were as good as them each time they've played in Croke Park but weren't strong enough mentally. I think Donegal will stay with them til the end and will have the mental toughness and will beat them.