Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frankie123

You should've read both posts and seeing as you're such a know it all surely you can answer the question.  One organisation?  One set of rules?

johnnycool

Quote from: Frankie123 on September 08, 2020, 04:13:43 PM
You should've read both posts and seeing as you're such a know it all surely you can answer the question.  One organisation?  One set of rules?

What did the Ulster Council tell you on friday night?

FWIW, each county can have its own bylaws which were published prior to the championship..

thewobbler

It's not a weakness to be able to admit you were wrong.

Most would see it as a strength.

Too many steps

Quote from: johnnycool on September 08, 2020, 04:24:38 PM

What did the Ulster Council tell you on friday night?

FWIW, each county can have its own bylaws which were published prior to the championship..

The thing to understand is that it's not the GAA who define a Covid 'outbreak' and the resulting containment protocols.

So the Down CB set a 72 hour rule which applied to RGU (unfortunately for them).

But in the 6 counties the PHA is the body that will decide if players have to self isolate.

I don't know what the exact situation was in the case of RGU, but the PHA must have deemed enough players to be close contacts or tested positive to have caused RGU not to be able to field.

Similarly in the case alluded to in an earlier post with Burren minors a player tested positive but was deemed to be a casual contact  - so the team could play on (although they postponed a game while waiting on PHA advice),but the player and his close contacts would have to self isolate. Also I heard ML Connolly (BBC health journalist) who's son plays for Bredagh recount exactly the same situation as the Burren one to a health expert on the BBC last week with the same outcome.

Ultimately the PHA don't care if you're a GAA club or a choir or a tiddly winks club - they'll just look at the evidence and advise accordingly.

elk

Much as I would like cpn to win. After watching the clonduff v cpn game back I think paddy power has the odds about right with kilcoo 1/2 and cpn 2/1. After all this is the best kilcoo team ever, reigning ulster champions and very close to winning an all Ireland. Kilcoo by 3 or 4

upandwin

Watched the great Podcast last night, have to say been finding it very enjoyable. Mark Doran been a breath of fresh air on it too, very unbiased and talks sense. Have to agree with the predictions of the panel in general. I think Carryduff will give the Harps their fill of it but maybe this game has come a year or two too early...seem to have a bright future ahead though.

The Main event will be interesting. Kilcoo will be really up for this and can see a heavy reaction to their defeat earlier in the year. CPN will have no fear though, they're the gutsiest team I've seen outside of Kilcoo in the last ten years...absolute power and speed everywhere and I genuinely don't see any weaknesses in either side...Will all come down to who gets the 50/50 balls and wins the dirty ball. Think the referee will have a massive impact on the result too. If Barry or Sharvin refer the game the point are done for. If Con Reynolds, the game make for a better spectacle IMO.

Kilcoo to win on penalties and Harps to win in ET...Here's hoping for a great day of football for the neutrals   ;D

befair

Ballyholland might be too cute and battle-hardened for Carryduff; great to see a new and rising club, with so much potential for the future, but they may have been flattered by Bryansford's early capitulation. Kilcoo also may have been flattered by their stroll against Rostrevor, where they were kicking points from all angles, while CPN will have learned a lot from their quarter-final. Their build-up was painfully slow and they really seemed to be struggling, yet showed tremendous fortitude to come back from 3 snap goals (a stark contrast to the Bryansford reaction). Still the Magpies remain formidable; not just 5 Branagans now, but 3 Johnsons (and the ref, of course).

Maurice Moss

Two good games hopefully coming up today. Can't see there being much between the teams come the end of each game.

Fingers crossed our men do it against Warrenpoint, will be a fiercely contested game. #UTM

befair

Well done to Carryduff; great achievement to make the final. They'll be huge underdogs, but nothing to lose

Nanderson

Quote from: befair on September 13, 2020, 04:59:01 PM
Well done to Carryduff; great achievement to make the final. They'll be huge underdogs, but nothing to lose
Thought Carryduff would win the game in the 60 minutes but getting the game to extra time i thought Ballyhollands experiance would see them through but fair play to a young Carryduff team. Hopefully they will put all that great work at underage and u20/21 to good use and be a real force in Down for the next decade

Godsown

Well done to the Duff. Great achievement so far and they are great value for it. But by God that was a real Ballyholland love in from the Pairc TV commentary team .

Smurfy123

Massive game for us here. The nerves are not good. Setting off here now for what will be a mighty battle but we need to improve on last weeks performance
Ballyholland will be kicking themselves they couldn't make the final. They got a dream route to the final. Well done Carryduff

delgany

befair

The penalty just about kept CPN in it, but Kilcoo are different class to everyone else in Down; much better than last year, so it's a shame there's no Ulster club championship this year