Derry chief slams Croker staffing costs

Started by youbetterbelieveit, December 12, 2006, 12:50:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

youbetterbelieveit

Taken from hoganstand

Derry chief slams Croker staffing costs
12 December 2006

Derry chairman Seamus McCloy has expressed anger at how the GAA is being run, claiming that the ordinary member "would be shocked by the numbers of staff at Croke Park and by what they are costing".

In his address to Monday night's county convention, the successful South Derry businessman accused Croke Park bosses of failing to deal adequately with the huge surge in popularity of the Association and hit out at their 'junket' culture.

"The huge increase in the popularity of Gaelic games has resulted in a phenomenal growth in the number of staff at Croke Park. This growth has been unplanned, unstructured and is inadequately monitored," he said.

"Furthermore, it is adding a major fixed cost to our activities – a fixed cost which will not be easy to get rid of, should our revenue start to dry up.

"The ordinary GAA club member would be shocked and annoyed by the numbers of staff at Croke Park and by what they are costing the Association. And those costs are not restricted to the normal salary and pensions – junkets have now become the way of life in the GAA

"And yet when a crisis develops, the president, who may only be in office a few months, is immediately required. Our senior staff, who are well paid to administer the Association and deal with problems as they may arise, become invisible."

McCloy also called for a total restructuring of Central Council in his hard-hitting address.

"Central Council's managerial ability is virtually negligible – we operate in an inefficient, inexpert and unprofessional way. Our organizational structures, systems and operations are out-of-date for the modern GAA era.

This carbuncle has to be lanced. A professional board, under the direction of a chief executive, should be appointed to manage our affairs at Croke Park."

tayto

Quote from: youbetterbelieveit on December 12, 2006, 12:50:43 PM
"The huge increase in the popularity of Gaelic games has resulted in a phenomenal growth in the number of staff at Croke Park. This growth has been unplanned, unstructured and is inadequately monitored," he said.

Where's that dublin fella clown?

Gnevin

And the fact that Croke Park made 50million for non GAA business in 2005 doest justify these costs .
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Kerry Mike

Nearly every county boards seems to be having a whinge at the moment about something before their AGM's come up. Every fecking day now there is some Chairman or secretary having a cut.

The GAA is now a big business and like any successful business you need a team of good people to run it. Croker is open on nearly a daily basis with conferences, museum and tours etc. People like stadium director Peter McKenna are doing a good job, but jobs like that do not come cheap in our celtic tiger economy. I am sure with the up coming rugby and soccer games there are whole new work loads for all involved.
The days of running the GAA at a top level on a volunteer basis are gone, and McCloy has even hinted that the GAA should have its own CEO with a board of Directors. I agree but imagine the whinging when the cost of those people becomes public.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

tayto

Quote from: Gnevin on December 12, 2006, 01:02:18 PM
And the fact that Croke Park made 50million for non GAA business in 2005 doest justify these costs .

good point, jesus, 50 million ey, that more then justifies a few staff.

full back

Seems like the Derry boys are trying to ruffle everyone's feathers.
They have already mouthed of about their own manager, wonder who will be next in line?

Bogball XV

Quote from: Gnevin on December 12, 2006, 01:02:18 PM
Any links please?

Gnevin

http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/2006/03/19/story12736.asp

Sorry it was actually 25 million. My memory mustn't be as good i think

Or knowing McKenna he lied to look like a great man   :P
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Donagh

And how much money would the Derry Board have wasted if they were allowed to proceed with their proposal of upgrading Celtic Park to 40k? 

Bogball XV

That's turnover of 25M, 60% from non-sporting - €15M - these are less profitable presumably than sporting events. 
However from looking at the 05 accounts, wages are only €1.3M, which seems pretty low for 25 members of staff (3 grounds, 16 Marketing and admin, 6 management).  Although, why they're operating a defined benefit pension scheme is more than I know.
Overall though, i don't think there's much of a problem.

Bogball XV

Quote from: Donagh on December 12, 2006, 03:39:45 PM
And how much money would the Derry Board have wasted if they were allowed to proceed with their proposal of upgrading Celtic Park to 40k? 
In fairness to McCloy, I think he was against that (could be wrong), although we'd probably have needed some welders there for all the new stands!!
40,000 capacity would have been useful for Derry, what if Derry City reach the uefa group stages next year, we couldn't have them going to Windsor.

neilthemac

Quote16 Marketing and admin

they must go into hibernation for the winter???

Gnevin

Quote from: neilthemac on December 12, 2006, 04:07:28 PM
Quote16 Marketing and admin

they must go into hibernation for the winter???
CP is used I'd say at least 350 days a year between GAA activities and business conferences  and partys

Bogball XV

Quote from: Gnevin on December 12, 2006, 05:04:01 PM
CP is used I'd say at least 350 days a year between GAA activities and business conferences  and partys
Not to mention the odd overly amorous couple ;)