Liam Hayes..... Late Late Show

Started by tonesfirstandlast, October 15, 2010, 11:02:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonesfirstandlast

Heart Wrenching Stuff. Fighting to keep the tears back. Good Luck Liam, praying for you.

balladmaker

QuoteHeart Wrenching Stuff. Fighting to keep the tears back. Good Luck Liam, praying for you.

With you there.  Found it difficult to watch.  Liam Hayes is someone whom I met years ago through football circles, I know its an overused cliché, but he is one of life's true gentlemen.  A genuine, nice fella.

Good luck Liam, if anyone can beat this illness, it is Liam Hayes.

DuffleKing

Out of our skins is my favourite sporting autobiography, even though his more recent views on football are left field at best.

Hope he fights through as he would have in his playing days

topo d rite

Fabulously honest, moving and hopeful interview. Hell of a courageous man! Get well Liam, this country needs men like you in these so called recessionary times. Thanks for helping put things in perspective! Slainte maith!!!!

5 Sams

Fcuk it lads..I missed the show...wot's wrong with Liam?
The Aristocrat Years

Carbery

Quote from: 5 Sams on October 16, 2010, 02:13:07 AM
Fcuk it lads..I missed the show...wot's wrong with Liam?

Sam,
You can watch the programme at the link below.

http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1082804

wavesofTORRES

Liam Hayes was one of the hardest men in one of the hardest teams ever seen on a playing pitch and I must admit I called him some choice names in that time and as a journalist he doesnt mind sticking the boot in but watching him last nite brought a tear to my  eyes. He displayed balls and courage that I hope I have if the need arises. He went up in my estimations so much and revealed what a giant of a man he truly is. My prayers are with you man and you will win this one.

INDIANA

an incredible interview. Incredible. Best of luck Liam. Hope you get well soon.

ross4life

I got to see Liam Hayes play in the flesh back in 1991 i wasn't disappointed (one of the true giants of the game) i wish Liam all the best in this fight v this awful disease
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Chris agus Snoop

I wish him the best, a great sports writer, second only to Humphries in my opinion.
When he gets through it he should keep the shaved head, it suits him.

omagh_gael

A very moving and poignant self-penned article in today's Tribune by Liam. I wish him all the best in his recovery.

Celt_Man

Made it my business to go and watch the interview last night... very tough stuff but the way he came across in the interview is positive and hopefully he can keep that up
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

ross matt

Regarded him as fine athletic midfielder capable of some cracking scores. I remember reading his column in the Sunday Indo back in '91 during the 4 game saga with the Dubs and was amazed at how raw and refreshing it was as he was a participant in it himself. I havent really read his comments that much in recent years but from looking at posts here they definitely annoyed alot of reasonable people.

However he was extremely articulate during the Late Late. Obviously his journalistic skills helped but still like back in '91 he was able to describe something he was himself taking part in very objectively. This was matched by his views on his brother's death. On both subjects he never sought any kind of sympathy and was searingly honest. Obviously a very mentally strong man.

Tubridy helped by not interrupting. Brilliant TV.

5 Sams

I read his book when it first came out and it is still the benchmark for GAA autobiographies...I dont agree with a lot of the attention grabbing stuff he writes in the Tribune but then again that's his job and he does it well...I hope he beats the big C....best wishes Liam..
The Aristocrat Years

ludermor

In fairness up until friday if you were to do a quick sweep of this site over the past couple of years there would not be too many compliments going his way.
Hope he makes a full and swift recovery.