Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: JoG2 on August 11, 2015, 03:05:05 PM
Quote from: qz on August 11, 2015, 03:00:06 PM
Quote from: fearglasmor on May 10, 2015, 11:25:37 AM
Quote from: JoG2 on May 05, 2015, 02:50:32 PM
Quote from: Minder on May 05, 2015, 12:47:16 PM
Jim McGuinness & JJ Delaney have joined the team

does his level best to ruin the sport, then join's Murdoch's Sky trying to promote the thing. Good man Jim !

Sky are not trying to promote GAA. They are trying to market a product offering to their customers. Theres an interesting piece on the front page of the sports section of the sindo today. A guy called Steve Smith Head of Production at Sky Sports talking about Skys GAA coverage.
What struck me when reading was that the debate about professionalism in the GAA is long over.  Now its a question of when and how.
The GAA have sold our games as a commercial product with commercial value on yhe open market. To create a product with commercial value requires the acquisition of resources. These resources also command a commercial value. It will not happen quickly but more like glacial flow or the shifting of tectonic plates. At some point there will have to be an earthquake and we will all realise the ground has shifted beneath our feet.

Sky are doing a helluva better job on promoting GAA throughout forensic match analysis. It's a product I'd rather enjoy than the tabloid trash talkers on RTE.

to a lot less viewers, known in the business as ar$e about face promotion  :)

Whatever it's known as, they are doing a better job than RTE.

JoG2

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 11, 2015, 03:39:33 PM

does his level best to ruin the sport, then join's Murdoch's Sky trying to promote the thing. Good man Jim !

Sky are not trying to promote GAA. They are trying to market a product offering to their customers. Theres an interesting piece on the front page of the sports section of the sindo today. A guy called Steve Smith Head of Production at Sky Sports talking about Skys GAA coverage.
What struck me when reading was that the debate about professionalism in the GAA is long over.  Now its a question of when and how.
The GAA have sold our games as a commercial product with commercial value on yhe open market. To create a product with commercial value requires the acquisition of resources. These resources also command a commercial value. It will not happen quickly but more like glacial flow or the shifting of tectonic plates. At some point there will have to be an earthquake and we will all realise the ground has shifted beneath our feet.

Sky are doing a helluva better job on promoting GAA throughout forensic match analysis. It's a product I'd rather enjoy than the tabloid trash talkers on RTE.

if its worth an extra £50 odd / month to you for their analysis, who am I to argue?

AZOffaly

You seem to be arguing that their analysis is not better because you have to subscribe to Sky Sports?

I'm not saying anything about the merits of the Sky Sports 'deal' , I think we went over that a fair bit back in the day. All I'm saying is the Sky analysts and the way they present the games is far better than RTE, after not even 2 years of trying. It's more of a reflection on RTE than anything else I think. And the sad thing is a lot of people predicted exactly that.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 11, 2015, 03:47:45 PM
You seem to be arguing that their analysis is not better because you have to subscribe to Sky Sports?

I'm not saying anything about the merits of the Sky Sports 'deal' , I think we went over that a fair bit back in the day. All I'm saying is the Sky analysts and the way they present the games is far better than RTE, after not even 2 years of trying. It's more of a reflection on RTE than anything else I think. And the sad thing is a lot of people predicted exactly that.
I agree, I enjoy the Sky coverage far far more than what RTE serve up.
I no longer listen to the half time analysis from RTE, nor do I watch the sunday game anymore.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Applesisapples

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on August 11, 2015, 03:49:54 PM

I agree, I enjoy the Sky coverage far far more than what RTE serve up.
I no longer listen to the half time analysis from RTE, nor do I watch the sunday game anymore.
I am in the same boat, much prefer Sky's coverage.

muppet

I have only seen the Sky analysis very recently but I think it is miles ahead of RTE.

TSG stuff is tabloid level by comparison.
MWWSI 2017

GJL

Quote from: JoG2 on August 11, 2015, 03:43:29 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on August 11, 2015, 03:39:33 PM

if its worth an extra £50 odd / month to you for their analysis, who am I to argue?

It would be interesting to know how many houses in Ireland have access to SkySports via a Sky package or indeed a 'dream box' setup.

JoG2

not at all. What I'm saying is, it may well be better, who wouldn't want to see wee Pete standing up beside a big TV, but for me, its not £50 odd quid / month better, justification and all that (if that makes sense)

Denn Forever

But is the Sky presentation team not just a rehash of TV3 presentation/pundits?

Half time interval  perfect time for making a pot of tea and getting some bickies  for the 2nd half.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

AZOffaly

Ah right. I get you, but I wasn't referring to the price you had to pay or anything. Simply that the analysis, attitude and presentation is better. Anyhow, sin é.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Denn Forever on August 11, 2015, 04:04:16 PM
But is the Sky presentation team not just a rehash of TV3 presentation/pundits?

Half time interval  perfect time for making a pot of tea and getting some bickies  for the 2nd half.

Nah, they have Rachel Wyse instead of Matt Cooper :)

Seriously, no. Some of the same lads appear, like Jamsie and Canavan, but lads like Jimmy McGuinness and Ollie Canning are good, and Peter and Jamsie are given more room to talk and illustrate on Sky, and come across much better. They explain why things are happening, or what adjustments could be made, rather than the RTE thing of just describing what's happened.

JoG2

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 11, 2015, 04:05:27 PM
Ah right. I get you, but I wasn't referring to the price you had to pay or anything. Simply that the analysis, attitude and presentation is better. Anyhow, sin é.

Re rte, I could listen to O'Rourke and McStay all day long, big Whelan too, but I've had my absolute fill of Brolly and Spillane (Spillane a long time ago).

AZOffaly

I've enough of RTE's attitude, yes largely driven by Joe Brolly and Spillane. The 'Everything is going to hell in a hand cart' brigade. They just really make you feel like you should hate football. In fairness, the hurling analysts on RTE are far better, and are probably better characters than the Sky lads.

Syferus

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 11, 2015, 04:12:29 PM
I've enough of RTE's attitude, yes largely driven by Joe Brolly and Spillane. The 'Everything is going to hell in a hand cart' brigade. They just really make you feel like you should hate football. In fairness, the hurling analysts on RTE are far better, and are probably better characters than the Sky lads.

In fairness this year everything has went a bit tits up in football. Truly terrible championship this year. Just the reasons aren't really 'puke football'.

AZOffaly

Maybe, but they've been like this for a good few years at this stage. It's like the boy that cried wolf.