GAA doing a deal with SkySports

Started by thejuice, March 27, 2014, 02:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: Hardy on September 14, 2014, 01:05:22 PM
Quote from: seafoid on September 14, 2014, 11:51:38 AM
Quote from: orangeman on September 13, 2014, 09:43:22 AM
Padraig is getting fed up. Stop the whining and moaning says he. The sky deal is good for you.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/enough-whining-about-sky-deal-says-gaa-boss-duffy-30583863.html
I love the way Duffy addresses his patrons

"After all the whining and moaning, it was terrific to see the numbers in the paper of all the people who watched the hurling final,"

Exactly. Arrogant gobshite.
Arrogant is right. But that's a common affliction in Croke park these days. It is being run as a business, for better or worse.

I think I this case it's a good thing, but Duffy wouldn't make you feel all warm about it.

seafoid

Quote from: Hardy on September 14, 2014, 01:05:22 PM
Padraig is getting fed up. Stop the whining and moaning says he. The sky deal is good for you.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/enough-whining-about-sky-deal-says-gaa-boss-duffy-30583863.html

"After all the whining and moaning, it was terrific to see the numbers in the paper of all the people who watched the hurling final,"

Exactly. Arrogant gobshite.
I think he must have done an MBA at the Ratner school of management

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerald_Ratner

Eamonnca1

"Whining and moaning" is a perfect description of the hysterical overreaction to the Sky deal. If it hurts, it's because the truth hurts.

armaghniac

The Sky deal has pros and cons. If the GAA becomes an organisation where you cannot point out the downside without being characterised as a "whinger" "moaned" "over the top" eta, then they are well suited to Sky.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Zulu

And by the same token can the GAA top brass ever say there was whinging and moaning with being accused of arrogance or losing touch with the common man?

rrhf

What I love is the way it has forced rte to clean up their grubby act. It has renewed standards where the game is portrayed positively and analysed with thought. And Rachel wyse helps us all stay glued.

Hardy

Quote from: rrhf on September 14, 2014, 08:59:23 PM
What I love is the way it has forced rte to clean up their grubby act. It has renewed standards where the game is portrayed positively and analysed with thought. And Rachel wyse helps us all stay glued.

You think? I can't say I've noticed. Yes, the football Nualas were positive about the three semi-final matches, but how could they not be? Up to that, I hadn't seen any difference from the last twenty-five-odd years. Granted, I haven't seen the night time Sunday Game at all - can't force myself to watch it once I've seen the live match. Maybe Cahill has dropped his stupid "word of the day" cringology?

Clinker

''After all the whining and moaning, it was terrific to see the numbers in the paper of all the people who watched the hurling final," Páraic Duffy said.

He's in the clear and being very careful about being in the clear.
Sure it was in the paper.
Was this statement made after coming out of mass after asking how the childer are doing?

'Haven't got over to the stand yet to get a paper.
What did ye hear anyway?'

He has not claimed that there were a very unlikely number of viewers watching on SKY nor that for a few seconds viewers clicked onto SKY 1 to check what was on as that would be the most likely channel to find their viewing event of the day within their background and upbringing and culture but they still are claimed as watching it even for a brief few seconds hence the peak viewing figures at which time many may have gone to SKY 1 first in the run of their day events.

He was very careful to mention 'in the paper,'

Imagine doing a monetary deal which negatively affected hundreds of thousands in a not too big home population and someone in charge making a statement about what they read 'in the paper' to justify themselves.

Pathetic.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Clinker on September 14, 2014, 11:12:19 PM
''After all the whining and moaning, it was terrific to see the numbers in the paper of all the people who watched the hurling final," Páraic Duffy said.

He's in the clear and being very careful about being in the clear.
Sure it was in the paper.
Was this statement made after coming out of mass after asking how the childer are doing?

'Haven't got over to the stand yet to get a paper.
What did ye hear anyway?'

He has not claimed that there were a very unlikely number of viewers watching on SKY nor that for a few seconds viewers clicked onto SKY 1 to check what was on as that would be the most likely channel to find their viewing event of the day within their background and upbringing and culture but they still are claimed as watching it even for a brief few seconds hence the peak viewing figures at which time many may have gone to SKY 1 first in the run of their day events.

He was very careful to mention 'in the paper,'

Imagine doing a monetary deal which negatively affected hundreds of thousands in a not too big home population and someone in charge making a statement about what they read 'in the paper' to justify themselves.

Pathetic.

I think this constitutes as whinging and moaning.
That was never a square ball!!

Clinker

Quote from: BennyHarp on September 14, 2014, 11:36:03 PM

I think this constitutes as whinging and moaning.

You. thatcher and Corporate GAA

Dirtyball

I think it's great that our emigrants abroad can get access to these games via sky. I think we are the only country in the world where our national TV station (RTE) Cannot be viewed live abroad . Well not legally anyway. So sky is a great opportunity for the irish on the UK to watch the games live. What I would say to the doughnuts in Ireland who moan about the Gaa on sky is don't watch it! Watch it on RTE. Stop f**king moaning about it being shown in the Uk. We f**king pay for it ! . And we would pay for RTE too if we could get it. But we can't.And nobody ever explained why either.

armaghniac

If you can find any "doughnuts" who objectives to Sky showing games in Britain then please show me where.the only objection. Is the removal of games from RTE TV3 and BBC in Ireland.

a

BennyHarp

Quote from: armaghniac on September 15, 2014, 09:21:58 AM
If you can find any "doughnuts" who objectives to Sky showing games in Britain then please show me where.the only objection. Is the removal of games from RTE TV3 and BBC in Ireland.

Just out of interest, how many games were removed throughout the year that you couldn't see in Ireland?
That was never a square ball!!

Dirtyball

Quote from: BennyHarp on September 15, 2014, 10:03:41 AM

Just out of interest, how many games were removed throughout the year that you couldn't see in Ireland?
a few hurling miss matches.. That's all.sky got nothing special that RTE didn't get.

armaghniac

Quote from: Dirtyball on September 15, 2014, 11:05:40 AM
Quote from: BennyHarp on September 15, 2014, 10:03:41 AM

a few hurling miss matches.. That's all.sky got nothing special that RTE didn't get.

Since you seem to know, why don't you list the games for BennyHarp's benefit.