GAA doing a deal with SkySports

Started by thejuice, March 27, 2014, 02:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyHarp

Quote from: Zulu on June 12, 2014, 12:25:03 PM
But developing the GAA in areas of the North isn't hampered by efforts to develop the game in other parts of the world and the Sky deal certainly doesn't hamper it.

Yes but in Armaghniac's world, money is being diverted from kids in Armagh to help promote football in Korea. Its hard to reason with this sort of logic.
That was never a square ball!!

Eamonnca1

Quote from: armaghniac on June 12, 2014, 11:02:52 AM
But I'd like to see more thought given into promoting the GAA in the many parts of the North where it is not popular, and this should be ranked above promotion in Spain or Korea.

Why?

armaghniac

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on June 12, 2014, 07:26:42 PM
But I'd like to see more thought given into promoting the GAA in the many parts of the North where it is not popular, and this should be ranked above promotion in Spain or Korea.

Why?

The primary purpose of the G.A.A. is the organisation of native pastimes and the promotion of athletic fitness as a means to create a disciplined, self- reliant, national-minded manhood.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Syferus

Quote from: armaghniac on June 12, 2014, 08:57:05 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on June 12, 2014, 07:26:42 PM

Why?

The primary purpose of the G.A.A. is the organisation of native pastimes and the promotion of athletic fitness as a means to create a disciplined, self- reliant, national-minded manhood.

Sounds dated and ridiculous.

It won't help winning over those same people in Ireland that don't care (and in many areas detest) the GAA either.

roney

Crazy that we're discussing the same things seven years on.

"The Roman Empire ruled the developed world for nearly a century and disappeared in about 20 years" - Peter Quinn (President of the GAA 1991-94)

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=78777

Welcome our new media partners.

rrhf

macdanger2

Quote from: BennyHarp on June 12, 2014, 12:34:20 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on June 12, 2014, 12:20:32 AM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on June 12, 2014, 12:06:13 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on June 11, 2014, 11:03:11 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on June 11, 2014, 09:35:34 PM
Why should RTE get first dibs? They do a reasonable job with hurling but their shock jock pundits in football are an embarrassment.
I would prefer the best games are free to air in Ireland.

You know what'd be good? If all games were free to air everywhere. But the reality of the broadcasting market is that you have to build a viewing audience, and prove the concept of building the audience, before terrestrial channels will be interested in carrying the games.

The GAA already has a large audience in Ireland,  far greater than it will ever get with the gougers Sky. It is part of the community in a way that it will never be with at the hands of Rupert Murdoch.

From a very personal point of view, I was delighted that, after travelling a 50 mile round trip to take a training session, I could come home, lie on my sofa and watch an hour long highlights package of pure football and hurling. I have never been able to this in the twelve years I have been making that journey as both player and coach and I for one feel that at last in some small way the GAA is fulfilling a gap in the market for me. Yes, some live games are on Premier Sports and I tape them all but I generally flick through as I don't have time to watch it all. It was nice to see highlights (although pretty brief) of Kildare v Louth and Clare v Waterford - games that never would be on Prem Sports. I couldn't care less about the "gougers" at Sky or Rupert Murdoch as I personally feel better off. And I do apologise, but I care little about the few people in Ireland who may not get to see the odd game - nobody in Ireland seemed too bothered about me for the last 12 years.

Could they not have done that by just allowing the rte player to be available outside Ireland??

BennyHarp

Yes, possibly, I'm only speaking on a personal level, but don't want to have to get my laptop out, plug it into the TV and watch stop, start buffering coverage of my football and hurling - is it really too much to ask to be able to watch it on your own TV? Would people in Ireland be happy with only online coverage?

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Syferus on June 12, 2014, 09:06:46 PM
Sounds dated and ridiculous.

It won't help winning over those same people in Ireland that don't care (and in many areas detest) the GAA either.

Yup. It's insular and small minded. Unambitious. Defeatist. Weak.

We're capable of a lot more.

armaghniac

Quote from: BennyHarp on June 12, 2014, 11:53:10 PM
Yes, possibly, I'm only speaking on a personal level, but don't want to have to get my laptop out, plug it into the TV and watch stop, start buffering coverage of my football and hurling - is it really too much to ask to be able to watch it on your own TV? Would people in Ireland be happy with only online coverage?

The GAA should send Rachel Wyse to your house to get the TV turned on and correctly adjusted, a cold beer ready and maybe an sandwich.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

HiMucker

Quote from: armaghniac on June 13, 2014, 11:07:16 AM

The GAA should send Rachel Wyse to your house to get the TV turned on and correctly adjusted, a cold beer ready and maybe an sandwich.
Carlsberg don't do GAA coverage but if they did?.....

BennyHarp

Quote from: armaghniac on June 13, 2014, 11:07:16 AM

Sounds good me. Or they could save any money spent overseas and send everyone in Ireland a taxi to bring them to every match as it's their God given right to see every game that's played in Ireland just because they happen to live on there. 

macdanger2

I presume Rachel Wyse will be in the back of this taxi??

BennyHarp

Quote from: macdanger2 on June 13, 2014, 09:58:38 PM
I presume Rachel Wyse will be in the back of this taxi??

Sorry, she's at my house sorting the beers.

thejuice

No comments this time round. Guess the novelty is worn already.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016