GAA doing a deal with SkySports

Started by thejuice, March 27, 2014, 02:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sidney

Quote from: johnneycool on April 03, 2014, 02:46:35 PM
Quote from: Sidney on April 03, 2014, 02:44:52 PM
I find it bizarre how people how people are ranting that "this is all about money", as if money coming in is a bad thing. The GAA has a duty to maximise its commercial revenue. It has a duty to try and bring in as much money as possible, because you can't run the GAA without money. Croke Park wasn't built by volunteer construction workers, neither are clubhouses and pitches all over the country. Development structures can't happen without money. Games Promotion Officers and full time officials have to be paid.

What are sponsors logos on jerseys about? What were the Guinness and Bank of Ireland sponsorships of the championships about? What are the Etihad, Super Valu, Centra, Liberty Insurance and Ulster Bank sponsorship deals for the championships about? What is the AIB sponsorship of the All-Ireland club championships about?

Money.

Is Mark Conway complaining about all that?

Ours was.

Good for you.

Here's an example of something that doesn't build itself and the type of sums involved.

http://dunshaughlingaa.com/fundraising/

Is Mark Conway against club lottos and race nights? What are they about? Money.

Tubberman

Quote from: roney on April 03, 2014, 02:30:26 PM
So you choose to insult the man rather than think about what he's saying?

He's not talking about denying emigrants access to games. He's talking about constant focus on making the games international and how's it's merely a smokescreen for finance deals. Only when the GAA is seen as international by sponsors will it get top dollar.

This new international audience gives a larger pool for sponsors to pitch to. The GAA can make from deals down the line. The mechanism of Sky is nothing to do with Paddy in Melbourne seeing Offaly play Kilkenny. There are much simpler and easier ways to do that. This is about finance plain and simple and the grassroots at home can just put up with it.

--------------------

Gaelic Players Association founder Donal O'Neill predicts the GAA's entire commercial revenues will grow significantly as a result of bringing Sky Sports into their stable of media partners.

"Sky are going to bring additional value to the GAA's entire commercial stock and while the sponsorship deals might not be happening now, they will increase in value because of Sky," said the former IMG sales and marketing manager.

Where's the problem with any of that?
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Zulu

Quote from: Sidney on April 03, 2014, 02:50:48 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on April 03, 2014, 02:46:35 PM
Quote from: Sidney on April 03, 2014, 02:44:52 PM
I find it bizarre how people how people are ranting that "this is all about money", as if money coming in is a bad thing. The GAA has a duty to maximise its commercial revenue. It has a duty to try and bring in as much money as possible, because you can't run the GAA without money. Croke Park wasn't built by volunteer construction workers, neither are clubhouses and pitches all over the country. Development structures can't happen without money. Games Promotion Officers and full time officials have to be paid.

What are sponsors logos on jerseys about? What were the Guinness and Bank of Ireland sponsorships of the championships about? What are the Etihad, Super Valu, Centra, Liberty Insurance and Ulster Bank sponsorship deals for the championships about? What is the AIB sponsorship of the All-Ireland club championships about?

Money.

Is Mark Conway complaining about all that?

Ours was.

Good for you.

Here's an example of something that doesn't build itself and the type of sums involved.

http://dunshaughlingaa.com/fundraising/

Is Mark Conway against club lottos and race nights? What are they about? Money.

I agree Sidney, the concept that money is a dirty word in the GAA is baffling. When the money that is raised goes back into the organisation then generating money is a good thing. We all want better facilities, more CDA's to promote the games and the ability to look after players medical and training needs (club and county) and these all cost money. We've had debates here about promoting the Railway cup and the national leagues better, well guess what, that costs money. If we want to remain as the biggest and best sports organisation in Ireland then we have to be able to match other sports in the spending stakes, it's as simple as that.

Sidney

Quote from: Tubberman on April 03, 2014, 02:52:44 PM
Quote from: roney on April 03, 2014, 02:30:26 PM
So you choose to insult the man rather than think about what he's saying?

He's not talking about denying emigrants access to games. He's talking about constant focus on making the games international and how's it's merely a smokescreen for finance deals. Only when the GAA is seen as international by sponsors will it get top dollar.

This new international audience gives a larger pool for sponsors to pitch to. The GAA can make from deals down the line. The mechanism of Sky is nothing to do with Paddy in Melbourne seeing Offaly play Kilkenny. There are much simpler and easier ways to do that. This is about finance plain and simple and the grassroots at home can just put up with it.

--------------------

Gaelic Players Association founder Donal O'Neill predicts the GAA's entire commercial revenues will grow significantly as a result of bringing Sky Sports into their stable of media partners.

"Sky are going to bring additional value to the GAA's entire commercial stock and while the sponsorship deals might not be happening now, they will increase in value because of Sky," said the former IMG sales and marketing manager.

Where's the problem with any of that?
The problem people like Mark Conway have is that they live in a la la world. They don't understand that in order to remain the primarily volunteer-led, community organisation that everybody in the GAA prides itself as, business decisions have to be made. Building the new Croke Park was a business decision. Bringing in proper live coverage of the provincial championships in the mid-90s was a business decision. The Dublin County Board courting Vodafone and AIG was a business decision. Every sponsorship deal for every club in the country is a business decision. Business decisions are made at every level of the GAA and it can't survive without them.

Carmen Stateside

Wasnt so long ago his Club Tyrone were going around the states with their caps out looking finance.  No problem taking it of Paddy in New York who may not have it to give but a crime to take it of sky.  Does Mr Conway not think this money will be reinvested in the GAA or does he think the top brass are going to line their pockets?

AZOffaly

I think that's a defence mechanism against the Grab All Association jibes that people put up with. Now it's like we have to be almost alergic to any big money stuff. Of course the weekly club lotto is grand because nobody passes any remarks to that.

I agree that if Sky, or increased exposure, results in more merchandise, more fans, more ticket sales, whatever, then great. Take the money and plough it back into the association as it always is. More the merrier.

orangeman

Do you think ticket prices will be reduced or will it be a case that clubs will get reduced affiliation fees as a result of the increased revenue ?

Zulu

Why should ticket prices be reduced, there are great ticket deals already? Why would you reduce affiliation fees? There isn't a large increase in revenue so why would you give that away for minimal (none really) advantage to clubs.

Jinxy

I'm against paying for things.
In general.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Bingo

Quote from: orangeman on April 03, 2014, 03:22:47 PM
Do you think ticket prices will be reduced or will it be a case that clubs will get reduced affiliation fees as a result of the increased revenue ?

No cause that is the county boards setting the rate,  who if they receive extra funds from Croke park will likely spend it on county teams.

orangeman

Quote from: Zulu on April 03, 2014, 03:33:47 PM
Why should ticket prices be reduced, there are great ticket deals already? Why would you reduce affiliation fees? There isn't a large increase in revenue so why would you give that away for minimal (none really) advantage to clubs.

ok. If the GAA were to find themselves making much increased profits as a result of this great deal with SKY and as more than one president etc ( in order to appease / excuse the move) has said that the money will be ploughed back into the clubs, do you think that reducing the affiliation fees of already cash strapped clubs would be a runner / possibility / likelihood ?.

Zulu

County boards don't set inter county ticket prices.

AZOffaly

A bit of a leading question there orangeman. You seem to have your mind made up on this already.

Firstly, the deal with Sky is almost revenue neutral if we are to believe the GAA, and I don't have any reason to disbelieve them on that subject.

So, if there are extra funds in the longer term, due to increased exposure, more jersies, more tickets etc, then I'm sure the money would be ploughed back into the GAA according to existing arrangements. Development squads, infrastructure grands, coaching assistance, Cúl camps, Easter Camps, etc etc etc. And again, that's all good as far as I'm concerned.

rosnarun

I have no problem with the deal as it appears . but  questions must be asked
was any commission paid to any GAA members/Officials or agency. which i imagine is par for the course in professional sports?
will any GAA people involved in the deal be employed as consultants regarding the coverage.
Are any of the very enthusiastic Tweets by older and former just a lick arse attempt to please Sky in the hope of a job(GOOD) or are they sponsored (BAD)
this would i think a lot of peoples view of the situation
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Zulu

Quote from: orangeman on April 03, 2014, 03:42:55 PM
Quote from: Zulu on April 03, 2014, 03:33:47 PM

ok. If the GAA were to find themselves making much increased profits as a result of this great deal with SKY and as more than one president etc ( in order to appease / excuse the move) has said that the money will be ploughed back into the clubs, do you think that reducing the affiliation fees of already cash strapped clubs would be a runner / possibility / likelihood ?.

I'd doubt it and I wouldn't be in favour of doing that. If the GAA had a €1 million to give to clubs I'd sooner see 10 clubs get €100,000 to help build a 3G floodlight pitch (or something like that) than give 2,500 clubs €400 each, which while helpful really makes no odds to anyone.