Sinn Fein? They have gone away, you know.

Started by Trevor Hill, January 18, 2010, 12:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

So a SF elected Rep either makes a total clown of himself or  is deliberately obnoxious over a mass killing by republican paramilitaries.
Nobody is allowed to criticise him especially if they're
Unionists
SDLP members
A Sportsman.
Strange oul place Shinnerworld. ::)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Dougal Maguire

Jesus man, hold back here. Nobody said he wasn't open to criticism. There's not one person that wouldn't agree that it was crass stupidity, however I don't think it was malicious. He seems to like to play the fool and on this occasion I think he meant to send the video to a number of close personal friends but made a mistake and hit the wrong button. It was pretty insensitive for an MP to joke about an issue like this but as always there are many who want to jump on the bandwagon and shaft him. I'm sure that at the moment he's suffering worse that the criticisers as a result of this.
Careful now

Itchy

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on January 07, 2018, 07:13:26 PM
Jesus man, hold back here. Nobody said he wasn't open to criticism. There's not one person that wouldn't agree that it was crass stupidity, however I don't think it was malicious. He seems to like to play the fool and on this occasion I think he meant to send the video to a number of close personal friends but made a mistake and hit the wrong button. It was pretty insensitive for an MP to joke about an issue like this but as always there are many who want to jump on the bandwagon and shaft him. I'm sure that at the moment he's suffering worse that the criticisers as a result of this.

So it was malicious and he just sent to wrong people. Seriously you want a clown like that represent you?

michaelg

Pretty insensitive?  That has to be the understatement of 2018 to date.  As for your final comment, what about the victims' families?  Where do they sit in your league table of suffering?

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: red hander on January 07, 2018, 05:32:26 PM
Idiotic behaviour.

But politicians here don't resign. Did Arlene resign for dancing on the stage with that crowd of DUP loons at the La Mon or RHI? Did Nelson resign over Red Sky? Did Peter resign over Nama? Did Paisley resign for labelling the Reaveys as IRA members? Did junior resign for any amount of f**k-ups and lining of his own pockets?

Don't be holding your breath

Don't remember any of them running on the slogan of Equality, Respect & Integrity, trying to gain the moral high ground as they pulled down the institutions and then doing nothing about an elected representative mocking the sectarian murders at Kingsmills.

Jim Bob

The question for anyone of us is.....
Do I believe he was making fun of the Kingsmill killings?

I don't believe he was making fun of the killings. I believe that the anniversary was not in his head the way the Loughgall killings would have been. It should have been however. He was acting the lig as usual with his 'entertaining' videos and made a terrible mistake. I am not a die hard Sinn Fein supporter. In fact I have never voted for Sinn Fein since 1981.

Orior

Quote from: Jim Bob on January 07, 2018, 07:57:34 PM

I don't believe he was making fun of the killings. I believe that the anniversary was not in his head the way the Loughgall killings would have been. It should have been however. He was acting the lig as usual with his 'entertaining' videos and made a terrible mistake. I am not a die hard Sinn Fein supporter. In fact I have never voted for Sinn Fein since 1981.

Before all hell broke loose, someone on his twitter account likened his joke image to the massacre making a wise crack about it. Barry 'Liked' it, but I think it is gone now as he deleted the post. Perhaps someone else kept the thread, because it is rather incriminating.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

playwiththewind1st

The big problem is not what he thought he was up to, or whether he possibly never meant it out to go to a wider audience than it actually did. His problem is how it would be perceived, once he did post it, especially among non SF voters. No amount of wriggling will overturn that initial damage.
First rule of twitter, for a local politician....think before you post anything?

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: Orior on January 07, 2018, 08:04:15 PM
Quote from: Jim Bob on January 07, 2018, 07:57:34 PM

Before all hell broke loose, someone on his twitter account likened his joke image to the massacre making a wise crack about it. Barry 'Liked' it, but I think it is gone now as he deleted the post. Perhaps someone else kept the thread, because it is rather incriminating.

Looks like his bosses are at last taking it seriously:

https://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/sinn-fein-leadership-to-meet-barry-mcelduff-1-8319628

BTW the video was liked by O'Muilleor and his tweet has been captured.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Rossfan on January 07, 2018, 06:18:45 PM
So a SF elected Rep either makes a total clown of himself or  is deliberately obnoxious over a mass killing by republican paramilitaries.
Unionists
SDLP members
A Sportsman.

Odd that you wouldn't criticise FF in their roles in perverting justice for Mary Boyle's sister and the families of the Stardust.

Strange old world, that of the the Free State Establishment parties.

seafoid

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on January 07, 2018, 08:13:28 PM
Unionists
SDLP members
A Sportsman.

Odd that you wouldn't criticise FF in their roles in perverting justice for Mary Boyle's sister and the families of the Stardust.

What aboutery

What a brain fart from McElduff
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: seafoid on January 07, 2018, 08:22:05 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on January 07, 2018, 08:13:28 PM
Unionists
SDLP members
A Sportsman.

What aboutery

What a brain fart from McElduff

Whataboutery is important in terms of balance. I'm just commenting on how he is not consistent in his outrage.

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: michaelg on January 07, 2018, 07:38:53 PM
Pretty insensitive?  That has to be the understatement of 2018 to date.  As for your final comment, what about the victims' families?  Where do they sit in your league table of suffering?
I meant it was insensitive in the context of him just having a personal joke with a few close friends. As for my final comment, I'm not sure where reference was made to a league table of suffering. I can't speak for the families, nor can I speak for McIlduff, but I'd say he feels pretty bad over this. Has it added anything extra to tbe families suffering, I don't know.
Careful now

michaelg

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on January 07, 2018, 08:41:37 PM
Quote from: michaelg on January 07, 2018, 07:38:53 PM
I meant it was insensitive in the context of him just having a personal joke with a few close friends. As for my final comment, I'm not sure where reference was made to a league table of suffering. I can't speak for the families, nor can I speak for McIlduff, but I'd say he feels pretty bad over this. Has it added anything extra to tbe families suffering, I don't know.
How can you "just have a personal joke with a few close friends" about something like the Kingsmill massacre?  To then merely describe this as "insensitive" is beyond belief.
As for your second point, he probably feels "pretty bad" about being caught out.  If he was any sort of human being, he would not have made this little "joke", as you describe it, in the first place.

Dougal Maguire

People have joked in public about worse things.
Careful now