Gaels amalgamations

Started by The Monument Road, December 02, 2016, 01:18:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

portlaoisekid

Quote from: Don Draper on November 23, 2017, 10:14:25 AM
Quote from: portlaoisekid on November 23, 2017, 08:43:42 AM
Quote from: Don Draper on November 22, 2017, 03:13:09 PM
Quote from: portlaoisekid on November 22, 2017, 01:22:25 PM
We will never know what Arles could have achieved because they blew their chance to achieve their potential. Nobody to blame but themselves .

Only in Laois would this situation arise, this situation is a microcosm of Laois football as a whole. Shooting ourselves in the foot and then living the rest of lives saying oh what might have been if things had of been handled correctly. We are all guilty of it at times, albeit some more than others.  Typical Laois.
Have you ever heard of Errigal Ciaran?
god No , are they a soccer team?
Its odd, because you believe acrimonious splits are "typical Laois", when in fact they have happened and continue to happen in successful counties. A lot of people lamenting the Arles split tend to gloss over the fact that both clubs have been strong since the split, especially when making the senior ranks, and have done as much, if not more for developing players for Laois than some other larger urban areas. I don't believe the split weakened Laois football at all. It caused issues in the village, but thats an issue for them themselves, and little concern for others.
I take your point about bigger counties . I think what your saying about Laois is correct and the only issue caused is for Arles themselves. I think though it'll be a story we have to endure year in year out for eternity .

Laoiseabu

If they joined now you could be looking at this team:
1 Mick Leigh
2 Caomhan Brennan
3 Sean Meaney
4 Joe Mulhare
5 Colm Munnelly
6 Shane Julian
7 ???
8 Kevin Meaney
9 Jason Enright
10 Sean O Shea
11 David Conway
12 Paul Kingston
13 Ross Munnelly
14 Donal Kingston
15 Donie Brennan

I can't even fit Conor Keigthley or Francis Egan into the fowards and imagine Chris Conway and Beano Mc Donald were younger it would be unpickable. This is what they are throwing away just join up already

Don Draper

Quote from: Laoiseabu on November 23, 2017, 01:03:18 PM
1 Mick Leigh
2 Caomhan Brennan
3 Sean Meaney
4 Joe Mulhare
5 Colm Munnelly
6 Shane Julian
7 ???
8 Kevin Meaney
9 Jason Enright
10 Sean O Shea
11 David Conway
12 Paul Kingston
13 Ross Munnelly
14 Donal Kingston
15 Donie Brennan

I can't even fit Conor Keigthley or Francis Egan into the fowards and imagine Chris Conway and Beano Mc Donald were younger it would be unpickable. This is what they are throwing away just join up already
You're living in dreamland.

SCFC

Quote from: Laoiseabu on November 23, 2017, 01:03:18 PM
1 Mick Leigh
2 Caomhan Brennan
3 Sean Meaney
4 Joe Mulhare
5 Colm Munnelly
6 Shane Julian
7 ???
8 Kevin Meaney
9 Jason Enright
10 Sean O Shea
11 David Conway
12 Paul Kingston
13 Ross Munnelly
14 Donal Kingston
15 Donie Brennan

Ship has sailed. If and when they reunite, they will be well past their best.

Laoisguy

Yes the ship has sailed but maybe sufficient interest to kick on again

Decent work being done underage and there will be a fallow few years

merman

Silly season has started early in the hurling side of things:

I've heard two conflicting rumours about Ballinakill extending their Gaels set-up;
1. Park/Ratheniska coming on board; following on from a pretty successful juvenile arrangement. I'm not sure this would help either side greatly to be honest, at least not in the short term.
2. Ballypickas joining up. Again, Cillian McEvoy aside, I'm not sure how this would benefit Ballypickas who had a pretty successful join-up with Shanahoe.

I've also heard that Colt Gaels is in trouble and that there is serious resistance in Clonad to going back together, though the players who played with the Gaels want to remain.

If Ballypickas do end up with Ballinakill (and I actually doubt they will), it could leave Colt and Shanahoe with a decision to make. That is purely conjecture on my part; I haven't heard anything about Colt and Shanahoe coming together.

Heshs Umpire

There should be only 9 senior football clubs. Then three "divisional" teams making a 12 team senior championship.
Will never happen though.
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore

clonadmad

Is an amalgamation at all levels involving Timahoe in the offing?

redsetanta

Quote from: Heshs Umpire on November 30, 2017, 04:23:45 PM
There should be only 9 senior football clubs. Then three "divisional" teams making a 12 team senior championship.
Will never happen though.

What would your 3 divisional teams be Hesh?
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Helix

Quote from: clonadmad on November 30, 2017, 04:36:26 PM
Is an amalgamation at all levels involving Timahoe in the offing?

With who ?
It's hardly possible to build anything if frustration, bitterness and a mood of helplessness prevail

burdizzo

clonadmad

That's all I know lads

Don't know if it's hurling or football or both,but it's supposed to cover all age groups and not a gaels arrangement

Could it be ballypickas?

burdizzo

Heard it was Ratheniska for hurling only.

LooseCannon

I come in peace, and yes I'm a BIFFO (Beautiful Intelligent Fellow From Offaly)
I just came across the discussion on numbers, particularly on Killeen-Kilcruise Kilcruise-Killeen (I don't want to be shot) Just wondering what playing numbers would all clubs in Laois have?
How many people living in each clubs' catchment area?

We did this on our own forum: uibhfhaili.com , and it gave all people on the board an insight into club playing numbers, as well as the total number of people living in each clubs catchment area.

Just a suggestion, and also my own curiosity, and no I'm not a cat!

Heshs Umpire

Quote from: LooseCannon on December 01, 2017, 05:45:28 PM
I come in peace, and yes I'm a BIFFO (Beautiful Intelligent Fellow From Offaly)
I just came across the discussion on numbers, particularly on Killeen-Kilcruise Kilcruise-Killeen (I don't want to be shot) Just wondering what playing numbers would all clubs in Laois have?
How many people living in each clubs' catchment area?

We did this on our own forum: uibhfhaili.com , and it gave all people on the board an insight into club playing numbers, as well as the total number of people living in each clubs catchment area.

Just a suggestion, and also my own curiosity, and no I'm not a cat!
I saw that thread on uibhfhaili.com - it was interesting stuff.
It's almost impossible to do accurately. I know that even in my neck of the woods clubs would cross parish and electoral areas.
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore