D.I.Y

Started by Frank_The_Tank, May 22, 2017, 02:35:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

It was the pump that heats the water that's fecked!

So at the the boiler there are two pumps one for the rads and the other for heating the water.

If the spindle isn't spinning then the motor isn't working and that was the case, I said can ya fix it? nope, its a throw away world, ya need a new one

The plumber said that the water should still warm up though, it isn't, anyways I've been doing the Wim Hof experience for the last 3 days!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

NAG1

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on Today at 09:55:37 AMIt was the pump that heats the water that's fecked!

So at the the boiler there are two pumps one for the rads and the other for heating the water.

If the spindle isn't spinning then the motor isn't working and that was the case, I said can ya fix it? nope, its a throw away world, ya need a new one

The plumber said that the water should still warm up though, it isn't, anyways I've been doing the Wim Hof experience for the last 3 days!

Pretty sure the pump doesn't heat the water  ;)
From my limited plumbing experience.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: NAG1 on Today at 10:07:25 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on Today at 09:55:37 AMIt was the pump that heats the water that's fecked!

Pretty sure the pump doesn't heat the water  ;)
From my limited plumbing experience.

That's probably my bad on the explaining part. More so the pump that pumps the water to the cylinder in the hot press?

Either way the pump needs replaced lol

To be fair he was a bit confused on why it still wasn't heating the water.

Fingers crossed that it will be solved today, at some point maybe next week who knows with tradesmen

I started out after school as YTP with the housing executive when I left school doing plumbing, at that time all the executives houses were having central heating installed around Belfast, the lure of more money as an apprentice at a different trade elsewhere was too much (at the time) to refuse!

Must be serious money to be made as a decent tradesperson considering the lack of them about
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnnycool

Did the pump look like this?

I've three of these feckers in the house and one will need replaced.

There's isolating valves either side of it, so toying with the idea of doing it myself, but as they're in the hotpress and don't want to make a balls of it.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnnycool on Today at 10:52:13 AM

There's isolating valves either side of it, so toying with the idea of doing it myself, but as they're in the hotpress and don't want to make a balls of it.

That's the one, I've two, but that they are in the garage...

Unscrewing that copper nut in the middle let me know that it wasn't spinning inside, after that I was stumped

I've a mate that loves all that DIY stuff, the easy stuff I've no problems with, But I know if I try and remove that and replace it there will be problems, pipes will need replaced and threads will be fecked and whatever else would go wrong will, with me.

johnnycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on Today at 11:35:42 AM

Unscrewing that copper nut in the middle let me know that it wasn't spinning inside, after that I was stumped

I've a mate that loves all that DIY stuff, the easy stuff I've no problems with, But I know if I try and remove that and replace it there will be problems, pipes will need replaced and threads will be fecked and whatever else would go wrong will, with me.

Turn that pump on and go to the garage.
Give it a gentle tap with a hammer to see if that frees it up and if that doesn't work there's a wee red dial for the speed settings, it's normally set to the middle speed, but change it to the top speed and that might free it up as well.

It'll still need replace one way or the other, but at least you'll get some hot water for a day or two

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnnycool on Today at 11:42:32 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on Today at 11:35:42 AM

Turn that pump on and go to the garage.
Give it a gentle tap with a hammer to see if that frees it up and if that doesn't work there's a wee red dial for the speed settings, it's normally set to the middle speed, but change it to the top speed and that might free it up as well.

It'll still need replace one way or the other, but at least you'll get some hot water for a day or two

Aye, will give that a go if the boyo hasn't changed it by the time I get home! Will have to put my prices up for refereeing  ;)