Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Armagh18 on September 14, 2021, 09:15:23 PM
Lads if City or Liverpool went down to 10 against that team they'd have at the very least got a draw or pushed on and won. Not ruthless enough.

Should have managed the game a lot better both on and off the field and would have got at least a draw but for that error deep into injury time.

In May I watched Man City with 10 men lose to Brighton, Chelsea lost 5-2 at home West Brom in April.

NAG1

Poor result last night, but credit has to be given to YB's they were right at it and the United boys seems to be slightly below par.

The sending off so early was a blow and they did manage that pretty well until Jessie's lapse in concentration.

Maybe tactically it could have been managed better from the sideline, but I do think Ole has been waiting for an opportunity to trial playing 3 at the back for a different tactical approach.

Jeepers Creepers

One lingaard f/up away from a draw with 10 men away from home. However, that's now 7 out 11 champ league games Ole has lost.

Boycey

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on September 15, 2021, 12:09:55 PM
One lingaard f/up away from a draw with 10 men away from home. However, that's now 7 out 11 champ league games Ole has lost.

Aye a draw would have been a palatable enough result under the circumstances but don't let the lateness or manner of the goal mask what happened before that, this was Young Boys not a top class European outfit. Utd should have been able to reorganise and while obviously fighting a rearguard action have enough about them to be dangerous on the counter attack but instead of that they retreated completely and allowed them attacks in waves not withstanding that they huffed and puffed a lot and without the error they didn't really look like scoring too often.   

Cobra

You'd imagine that is Lingard's last chance. If Ole gives him another chance it will reflect poorly on him. He's not good enough at this level.

J70

I feel bad for Lingard in a way. He should have been let go in the summer. He can produce an occasional moment, but he's not able for Champions League level.

johnnycool

Quote from: J70 on September 15, 2021, 12:32:16 PM
I feel bad for Lingard in a way. He should have been let go in the summer. He can produce an occasional moment, but he's not able for Champions League level.

FFS, it was Young Boys of Berne, not PSG they were playing.

If Berne were playing in the PL they'd be no more than a mid table team which Lingard would have been cutting up if playing for West Ham.

It was a poor mistake to make but Utd were awful on the night, not just Lingard.

Defensively Utd have problems.

J70

Quote from: johnnycool on September 15, 2021, 01:54:36 PM
Quote from: J70 on September 15, 2021, 12:32:16 PM

FFS, it was Young Boys of Berne, not PSG they were playing.

If Berne were playing in the PL they'd be no more than a mid table team which Lingard would have been cutting up if playing for West Ham.

It was a poor mistake to make but Utd were awful on the night, not just Lingard.

Defensively Utd have problems.

I get that. And I'm not writing off Lingard based on just last night.

I can think of at least three occasions where Steven Gerrard made similar stupid costly backpasses for Liverpool and England.

But its just another example of Lingard not being able to cut it at a club like United when the pressure is on. I can't understand why they didn't move him on.

imtommygunn

yellowcard

United have no clear strategic plan. When all the euphoria around the Ronaldo transfer subsides it might dawn that they will have far too many players within the squad. In terms of attacking players they have Bruno, Pogba, Sancho, Ronaldo, Rashford, Greenwood, Martial, Lingaard and Cavani. At least 4 and probably 5 of those will not be in the starting XI every week whilst 2 of them will not even make the match day squad. In reality Pogba, Ronaldo and Bruno will start most games so that leaves very little room for the other players. 

magpie seanie

Did I hear PSG with Messi, Neymar and Mbappe drew with Club Brugge?

tiempo

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 16, 2021, 08:27:11 AM

Donnarumma on the bench, embarrassment of a club, like i said groundball is surely another set of narcos in disguise, similar to Kinahan and others behind the scenes in boxing, just an instrument for swilling/washing money

quit yo jibbajabba

Quote from: tiempo on September 16, 2021, 09:06:40 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on September 16, 2021, 08:27:11 AM

Donnarumma on the bench, embarrassment of a club, like i said groundball is surely another set of narcos in disguise, similar to Kinahan and others behind the scenes in boxing, just an instrument for swilling/washing money

I think a Dublin Gaa X1 from the last ten years would bate that Bruges team.....😃

nrico2006

Quote from: yellowcard on September 15, 2021, 04:16:25 PM
United have no clear strategic plan. When all the euphoria around the Ronaldo transfer subsides it might dawn that they will have far too many players within the squad. In terms of attacking players they have Bruno, Pogba, Sancho, Ronaldo, Rashford, Greenwood, Martial, Lingaard and Cavani. At least 4 and probably 5 of those will not be in the starting XI every week whilst 2 of them will not even make the match day squad. In reality Pogba, Ronaldo and Bruno will start most games so that leaves very little room for the other players.

You have named a list of players that includes midfielders, wingers and backup players, which you could do in the same quantity for any of the top teams.   
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

thewobbler

I think his point is that it's an imbalance with what's available. Best part of £1m a week in wages watching football most weeks, while Fred gets a jersey.

Not sure why anyone would complain about the "strategy" behind Ronaldo though. He improves the team. Plus Martial and Lingard are part of the same trap most clubs are suffering: they're so well paid and can continue to mostly receive those wages somewhere, if they hold out for a free transfer. But no club is going to cover both, so they're stuck. Managers might as well keep them in the squad as put them with the 23s at that point.