Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyrone Gaa

Seen the clip, cowardly act by the no.5, shouldn't kick a ball the rest of the year.

In reality an incident like that could of happened on 5/6 games this weekend that went unrecorded or off the ball. League matches in particular the stuff that goes on when the referee isn't looking. A lot of the time players are encouraged to target men, it's clear as day. Referee's do need extra support at games, I know that won't happen but it is required to stamp this out.
Living the dream!!!

Tyrone95

Quote from: toby47 on June 11, 2018, 03:50:16 PM
Slightly off topic - but what ever happened the young fella from Carrickmore that got hit by the bouncer in Belfast a few months back.

Did he get back to playing football?
Yeah he did thankfully with no long term injuries. He's the current captain of our minor team and has featured in a few senior games this year. Certainly one to watch out for

Jim Bob

Quote from: Tyrone95 on June 11, 2018, 04:33:45 PM
Quote from: toby47 on June 11, 2018, 03:50:16 PM
Slightly off topic - but what ever happened the young fella from Carrickmore that got hit by the bouncer in Belfast a few months back.

Did he get back to playing football?
Yeah he did thankfully with no long term injuries. He's the current captain of our minor team and has featured in a few senior games this year. Certainly one to watch out for

Was that bouncer ever charged for that ?

mountain4sam

Quote from: omagh_gael on June 11, 2018, 03:04:55 PM
In no way trying to downplay Carson's injury but to clarify he wasn't hit off the ball or from behind without warning. He had the ball and the Lough play tackled/punched with close fist and caught him when Carson was full on sprinting with the ball.

Again not condoning it but wasn't in the same vein as the Castlederg incident.

Omagh Gael, Carson was hit off the ball! he had played the ball whenever the punch came in and it was from behind/side late. Young carson turned into the punch, I was there and have seen the video. Both acts the same in my eyes

awideisneverasgood

It would be interesting to hear peoples thoughts on the punishment for striking.  Is a month enough or too much?

Personally, I think anybody who strikes should get at least 6 months to try and stamp this out.  I know a lot of people with an old school mentality will think this draconian but we have seen a number of high profile cases in the courts in recent times regarding one punch attacks so everybody should be aware of the potential consequences of striking.

Under Lights

Quote from: awideisneverasgood on June 12, 2018, 08:40:18 AM
It would be interesting to hear peoples thoughts on the punishment for striking.  Is a month enough or too much?

Personally, I think anybody who strikes should get at least 6 months to try and stamp this out.  I know a lot of people with an old school mentality will think this draconian but we have seen a number of high profile cases in the courts in recent times regarding one punch attacks so everybody should be aware of the potential consequences of striking.

Striking is a one game ban now, and has been for the last few seasons.
We had a lad sent off for striking in the senior game two weeks ago. Was able to play for reserves last weekend (but suspended for senior game). So yeah, maybe things should be reviewed.

TabClear

Quote from: Under Lights on June 12, 2018, 08:55:45 AM
Quote from: awideisneverasgood on June 12, 2018, 08:40:18 AM

Striking is a one game ban now, and has been for the last few seasons.
We had a lad sent off for striking in the senior game two weeks ago. Was able to play for reserves last weekend (but suspended for senior game). So yeah, maybe things should be reviewed.

That's a complete nonsense that a suspended player can play reserves the following week.

Agree that the penalty needs to be harsher for strikes, particularly if identified in a melee/off the ball etc. Its one thing two lads squaring up to each other but cowardly blindside strikes need to be stamped out. Refs have a tough job but with the massive amount of video evidence available from most games now, retrospective action should be taken if possible and meaningful bans imposed.

Under Lights

Yeah thems the rules. I've seen in the past too whereby a lad gets a straight red card in the reserve game, then comes on in the senior game (on the same day like)

omagh_gael

Quote from: TheWaterBoy on June 12, 2018, 09:09:27 AM
Quote from: mountain4sam on June 12, 2018, 08:29:07 AM
Quote from: omagh_gael on June 11, 2018, 03:04:55 PM
In no way trying to downplay Carson's injury but to clarify he wasn't hit off the ball or from behind without warning. He had the ball and the Lough play tackled/punched with close fist and caught him when Carson was full on sprinting with the ball.

Again not condoning it but wasn't in the same vein as the Castlederg incident.

Omagh Gael, Carson was hit off the ball! he had played the ball whenever the punch came in and it was from behind/side late. Young carson turned into the punch, I was there and have seen the video. Both acts the same in my eyes

Quote from: omagh_gael on May 13, 2018, 10:49:42 PM
I was at game and Sludden didn't even give a free for initial incident which I think was the injury. Not 100% sure that was the exact cause of the injury though as I had taken my eye off the play for a second. A full on brawl started after that but Mark was still down from initial incident.
Omagh Gael, that's some description of what happened after saying that you had taken your eye off the play and didn't see the incident....

Since that post it was clarified what happened. I was merely trying to point out that it wasn't the exact same situation as the Castlederg punch. Lough player clearly in the wrong and is serving his time (well above the usual suspension) as a result.

Dire Ear

Exactly OG, not sure how they came up with 8 weeks

Under Lights

Quote from: Dire Ear on June 12, 2018, 10:49:04 AM

Maybe had previous offence?

awideisneverasgood

I didnt realise the ban was as low as that, thats crazy.  I also dont think there should be any distinction  between types of strikes.  I agree theres a certain moral difference between two lads squaring up and a sneaky punch from behind but in this day and age there should be zero tolerance for striking.

Dire Ear

Quote from: Under Lights on June 12, 2018, 11:16:08 AM

Didn't know the rules accounted for "previous" ??

Under Lights

Quote from: Dire Ear on June 12, 2018, 11:40:00 AM
Quote from: Under Lights on June 12, 2018, 11:16:08 AM

Didn't know the rules accounted for "previous" ??

Same offence within a 12 month period warrants a double length of ban IIRC

TabClear

Quote from: awideisneverasgood on June 12, 2018, 11:21:06 AM
I didnt realise the ban was as low as that, thats crazy.  I also dont think there should be any distinction  between types of strikes.  I agree theres a certain moral difference between two lads squaring up and a sneaky punch from behind but in this day and age there should be zero tolerance for striking.

I tend to agree. Like yourself I don't particularly have an issue if two lads go toe to toe but in the interests of stamping out the more dangerous acts it should be a blanket punishment. For example, two players box and one gets the better of the other. Ref shouldn't have to judge if the player is defenceless say.

The big thing is that the minimum punishment has to be meaningful, at least 4 weeks and needs to be consistently enforced. There would be a lot of suspensions at the start but players might cop on then.