Mayo v Dublin - AISF - Saturday 5pm

Started by Mayo4Sam14, August 04, 2019, 10:01:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

giveballaghback

Quote from: befair on August 13, 2019, 01:44:11 PM
Probably the demise of a great Mayo team, who will be remembered when many Sam Maguire winners have been forgotten. Unlucky to be in the same era as undoubtedly the greatest gaelic football team ever. But they had their chance, the goalkeeper debacle, and then Donal Vaughan's utterly foolish needless red card (from such a great player too)
Sam winners are never forgotten but when they are talking about losers this Mayo team will be no 1 loser, I think id rather be a forgotten winner.

From the Bunker

Quote from: giveballaghback on August 15, 2019, 11:48:58 PM
Probably the demise of a great Mayo team, who will be remembered when many Sam Maguire winners have been forgotten. Unlucky to be in the same era as undoubtedly the greatest gaelic football team ever. But they had their chance, the goalkeeper debacle, and then Donal Vaughan's utterly foolish needless red card (from such a great player too)
Sam winners are never forgotten but when they are talking about losers this Mayo team will be no 1 loser, I think id rather be a forgotten winner.

They'll be forgotten!

seafoid

Steve Davis or Jimmy White
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Wildweasel74

Brazil 82 is the 2nd most famous world Cup team ahead of all the other winners, they never been forgotten

GalwayBayBoy

It's a interesting one alright. I mean Cork for example won an AI title in 2010 but I have zero doubts that the Mayo side of the last few years will be remembered long after that Cork side.  But one has an AI title and the other doesn't.

SouthDublinBro

Why would you want to be remembered as losers? Mayo fans should be hoping that everyone forgets about this team.

larryin89

Quote from: SouthDublinBro on August 17, 2019, 06:21:17 PM
Why would you want to be remembered as losers? Mayo fans should be hoping that everyone forgets about this team.

They won't be forgotten by neutrals and the reason is looking straight at you . Here you are a Dublin person , a county going for an historic five iar in two weeks time and you're passing comment about mayo .

We are everyone's obsession , it's incredible .box office , bigger than any winning team , why I don't have a clue
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Armagh18

One of the best teams ever. Of course they'll be remembered, they went toe to toe with the best team ever to play the game and in any other era they'd have won multiple AI's

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Armagh18 on August 18, 2019, 02:55:47 PM
One of the best teams ever. Of course they’ll be remembered, they went toe to toe with the best team ever to play the game and in any other era they’d have won multiple AI’s

Debatable. They only had to beat Kerry and Donegal in 2012,2014 to win the All Ireland. If they had reached this years final would they have beaten Kerry? I doubt it.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 18, 2019, 03:14:46 PM
One of the best teams ever. Of course they'll be remembered, they went toe to toe with the best team ever to play the game and in any other era they'd have won multiple AI's

Debatable. They only had to beat Kerry and Donegal in 2012,2014 to win the All Ireland. If they had reached this years final would they have beaten Kerry? I doubt it.

They were to young in 2012 and Andy was injured! In 2014 they were stitched up!

Captain Obvious

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 18, 2019, 03:17:12 PM

And now too old and too many injuries? From OGs, sending offs, goalkeeping errors etc v Dublin the excuses are endless. The Dubs were desperate poor in the drawn 2016 All Ireland final scoring just 0-9. Mayo unable to take advantage as they themselves were in poor form and stumbled into that final.

Wildweasel74

I think in another time they would won 2 or 3 All-Irelands. Your judging them against a team beat only 2 in 9yrs and once was to them. And Donegal were nearly blew outta the water if Dublin had taken 2 easy goal chances. Dublin would beat any other team of any era in my opinion.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 18, 2019, 03:29:41 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on August 18, 2019, 03:17:12 PM

And now too old and too many injuries? From OGs, sending offs, goalkeeping errors etc v Dublin the excuses are endless. The Dubs were desperate poor in the drawn 2016 All Ireland final scoring just 0-9. Mayo unable to take advantage as they themselves were in poor form and stumbled into that final.

They still stumbled into finals! No excuses, we always lost to the better team except for 2014. If a team is better than you, a team is better than you! Them's the breaks!

We'll possibly see Armagh reach the top table in the coming years and we'll see how their fair against this new era of Financial Doping.

Blowitupref

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on August 18, 2019, 04:53:42 PM
Dublin would beat any other team of any era in my opinion.

We could only really judge that if some of the other good teams from other eras had the fitness S&C and preparation that Dublin currently do.

I thought Dublin were beatable in the 2013,2016 and 2017 AI finals and Kerry had the beating of Dublin in the 2016 semi final also but let it slip through their fingers.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

From the Bunker

Quote from: Blowitupref on August 18, 2019, 05:21:33 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on August 18, 2019, 04:53:42 PM
Dublin would beat any other team of any era in my opinion.

We could only really judge that if some of the other good teams from other eras had the fitness S&C and preparation that Dublin currently do.

I thought Dublin were beatable in the 2013,2016 and 2017 AI finals and Kerry had the beating of Dublin in the 2016 semi final also but let it slip through their fingers.

When you say beatable? What games stood out where Dublin looked weak or vulnerable?