Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: easytiger95 on January 07, 2019, 03:59:40 PM
Quote from: whitey on January 07, 2019, 01:06:04 PM
Quote from: easytiger95 on January 07, 2019, 12:54:50 PM
Quote from: easytiger95 on January 07, 2019, 10:03:54 AM
Quote from: whitey on January 04, 2019, 03:33:32 PM
Quote from: easytiger95 on January 04, 2019, 03:24:10 PM
People need to realise what free speech and the first amendment actually mean - Facebook, Twitter, Instagram etc are all private, commercial forums, subject to user agreement. Their owners have every right under the American Constitution to censor what goes on their own, commercial platforms.

Now, if you wanted to guarantee free speech on these platforms, under the Constitution, you would have to nationalise these platforms. Which is a policy I would support, and, coincidentally, it is really hilarious to see right wing, small government, libertarians being forced to use this argument, thus essentially nullifying their world view of "government - bad! Market - good!"

So, as you can see Dolph, Whitey et al, the "speech police" are actually mall cops. Perhaps you should change where you shop.

These are publicly traded companies that should be enforcing their standards uniformly. What's good for the left should be good for the right. Their "enforcement" seems to be very one sided and overly restrictive on points of view that are right leaning.In time these platforms will evolve and maybe even face competition from other sources. Eg I now use Twitter much more than Facebook

Facebook has free speech rights as well you know, or don't you remember Citizens United? Online commercial platforms can enforce any editorial line they like, it's there in their user agreements.

The market has chosen Whitey - stop whinging like a snowflake.

BTW a Trump supporter banging on about left wing bias on Facebook, given what all US intelligence bodies have confirmed went on there during the 2016 campaign, is a bit much.

Eh...you.

Absolutely not

I already knew they were biased

If an spokesperson for a publicly traded company knowingly makes materially  false statements they could be charged with any number of violations

Well said, I would say that Zuckerberg was definitely evasive about what they did to combat the use of their platform by Russian and Trump campaign conspirators to push false and misleading stories promoting Donald Trump in the 2016 election.

Pesky right wing bias, eh?
Facebook is out of control
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

whitey

People need to realise what free speech and the first amendment actually mean - Facebook, Twitter, Instagram etc are all private, commercial forums, subject to user agreement. Their owners have every right under the American Constitution to censor what goes on their own, commercial platforms.

Now, if you wanted to guarantee free speech on these platforms, under the Constitution, you would have to nationalise these platforms. Which is a policy I would support, and, coincidentally, it is really hilarious to see right wing, small government, libertarians being forced to use this argument, thus essentially nullifying their world view of "government - bad! Market - good!"

So, as you can see Dolph, Whitey et al, the "speech police" are actually mall cops. Perhaps you should change where you shop.

These are publicly traded companies that should be enforcing their standards uniformly. What's good for the left should be good for the right. Their "enforcement" seems to be very one sided and overly restrictive on points of view that are right leaning.In time these platforms will evolve and maybe even face competition from other sources. Eg I now use Twitter much more than Facebook

Facebook has free speech rights as well you know, or don't you remember Citizens United? Online commercial platforms can enforce any editorial line they like, it's there in their user agreements.

BTW a Trump supporter banging on about left wing bias on Facebook, given what all US intelligence bodies have confirmed went on there during the 2016 campaign, is a bit much.

Eh...you.

Absolutely not

If an spokesperson for a publicly traded company knowingly makes materially  false statements they could be charged with any number of violations

Well said, I would say that Zuckerberg was definitely evasive about what they did to combat the use of their platform by Russian and Trump campaign conspirators to push false and misleading stories promoting Donald Trump in the 2016 election.

I'm more interested in Sheryl Sandberg having secret meetings with Hillary and handing  over "research" to her campaign

Believe what you want

J70

Must have been before she went the Soros conspiracy route in terms of dealing with Facebook's bad PR.

Dolph1

Another illegal immigrant causes a US citizen death in Tennesse. Driving with no licence or insurance either. The law does not apply to this group and the left certainly won't call them out.

https://eu.knoxnews.com/story/news/politics/2019/01/04/death-knoxville-fire-captains-son-sparks-illegal-immigration-debate/2471420002/
Trump 2020. Making America Greater Again

Dolph1

Quote from: J70 on January 04, 2019, 09:36:47 PM
Quote from: Dolph1 on January 04, 2019, 09:27:15 PM
Quote from: J70 on January 04, 2019, 09:15:44 PM
Surely it's just "locker room talk"??

Poor Gmac.

Now the GOP will have no choice but to get down in the dirt and fight fire with fire by allying themselves to foul-mouthed, lying, corrupt, misogynistic, racist, xenophobes.

Oh wait...

That sounds like Keith Ellison. I think he's the Democrat vice chairman chairperson.

Still waiting for anyone in his party to condemn his actions or the #metoo movement to call him to account.

Nah, I think the crown fits most well on the head of Trump and the GOP policies.

Not that the Dems are perfect by any means or beyond hypocrisy.

But at least they jettisoned the likes of Franken and Conyers.

Which is a lot more than you can say for the Grab 'em by the Pussy (that almost makes the acronym GOP!) party.

J70 - I mean to ask you what should the democrats do about Ellison?
They have the evidence so why the reluctance?

seafoid

Quote from: Dolph1 on January 07, 2019, 04:41:29 PM
Another illegal immigrant causes a US citizen death in Tennesse. Driving with no licence or insurance either. The law does not apply to this group and the left certainly won't call them out.

https://eu.knoxnews.com/story/news/politics/2019/01/04/death-knoxville-fire-captains-son-sparks-illegal-immigration-debate/2471420002/
Lettuce killed more Americans last year
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Dolph1

Quote from: seafoid on January 07, 2019, 04:45:34 PM

Lettuce killed more Americans last year

Maybe so, but at least the lettuce came in legally.

easytiger95

Quote from: whitey on January 07, 2019, 04:23:58 PM

Eh...you.

Absolutely not

I'm more interested in Sheryl Sandberg having secret meetings with Hillary and handing  over "research" to her campaign

Believe what you want

And I'm interested in unicorns...doesn't make them real.

Love your signature - believe what you want. I suppose that is how you square rigorously supporting a Trumpian, authoritarian agenda without actually supporting him.

J70

Quote from: Dolph1 on January 07, 2019, 04:43:14 PM

Poor Gmac.

Now the GOP will have no choice but to get down in the dirt and fight fire with fire by allying themselves to foul-mouthed, lying, corrupt, misogynistic, racist, xenophobes.

Oh wait...

That sounds like Keith Ellison. I think he's the Democrat vice chairman chairperson.

Still waiting for anyone in his party to condemn his actions or the #metoo movement to call him to account.

Nah, I think the crown fits most well on the head of Trump and the GOP policies.

Which is a lot more than you can say for the Grab 'em by the Pussy (that almost makes the acronym GOP!) party.

What evidence?

As far as I remember, his ex alleged that he forcefully dragged her off the bed by the leg, but would not release a video which supported her allegation. It then became "he said, she said". I'm not aware of any other allegations against him. This is not a case like Harvey Weinstein or Trump or Bill Cosby where dozens are lining up alleging harassment or assault.

So I am not sure what exactly you expect the Dems to do.

whitey

Quote from: easytiger95 on January 07, 2019, 04:56:14 PM
Quote from: whitey on January 07, 2019, 04:23:58 PM

Eh...you.

Absolutely not

Believe what you want

And I'm interested in unicorns...doesn't make them real.

Love your signature - believe what you want. I suppose that is how you square rigorously supporting a Trumpian, authoritarian agenda without actually supporting him.

There's a verified email from John Podesta detailing the meeting

Believe what you want

screenexile

I'm pretty sure this guy was arrested . . .  actually yeah he definitely was there's a picture in the article of him from the police department so definitely the law applies to this guy!! If you run over people you should definitely be arrested!!

Dolph1

Quote from: J70 on January 07, 2019, 04:57:57 PM

Poor Gmac.

Oh wait...

What evidence?

As far as I remember, his ex alleged that he forcefully dragged her off the bed by the leg, but would not release a video which supported her allegation. It then became "he said, she said". I'm not aware of any other allegations against him. This is not a case like Harvey Weinstein or Trump or Bill Cosby where dozens are lining up alleging harassment or assault.

If you follow the precedent set by the baying mob in the Kavanuagh hearings he'd have been dismissed or at least suspended pending a rigorous investigation. Never happened.
While I get it that the democrats wouldn't turn in one of their own unless they had to it was surprising that none of the women's movements didn't get after him and take him down. None of that "she must be believed" stuff this time.

Dolph1

Quote from: screenexile on January 07, 2019, 05:31:07 PM

I'm pretty sure this guy was arrested . . .  actually yeah he definitely was there's a picture in the article of him from the police department so definitely the law applies to this guy!! If you run over people you should definitely be arrested!!

Illegally in the country - check
driving with no insurance - check
driving with no licence - check
killing US citizen - check

There's 4 illegal acts before being picked up. You'll have the usual suspects try get him freed.

J70

Quote from: Dolph1 on January 07, 2019, 05:36:08 PM
Quote from: J70 on January 07, 2019, 04:57:57 PM

Poor Gmac.

Oh wait...

What evidence?

If you follow the precedent set by the baying mob in the Kavanuagh hearings he'd have been dismissed or at least suspended pending a rigorous investigation. Never happened.
While I get it that the democrats wouldn't turn in one of their own unless they had to it was surprising that none of the women's movements didn't get after him and take him down. None of that "she must be believed" stuff this time.

The big brouhaha over Kavanaugh was delaying the vote to allow the "investigation" AND the fact that Ford actually came and testified before the Senate (to the extent that Fox News, immediately after, found her testimony likely fatal for Kavanaugh's nomination).

Ellison's accuser put out an accusation and left it at that. If you can name another person whose career has been ended in similar circumstances, go for it.

And spare us the "Democrat's wouldn't turn on one of their own" - Conyers and Franken were forced to resign by pressure and lack of support from their party. The GOP bows down to and is ruled by a corrupt, lecherous lowlife, cheered on by yourself. The Dems ain't perfect by any stretch, but at least they've started down the road towards trying to deal with this stuff. The likes of Biden will have to account for his comments and conduct with Anita Hill should he run. Is any such reckoning likely on the GOP side?

J70

Quote from: Dolph1 on January 07, 2019, 05:45:28 PM
Quote from: screenexile on January 07, 2019, 05:31:07 PM

Illegally in the country - check
driving with no insurance - check
driving with no licence - check
killing US citizen - check

There's 4 illegal acts before being picked up. You'll have the usual suspects try get him freed.

And those usual suspects trying to get him freed would be who, exactly?