The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dolph1

Quote from: J70 on January 04, 2019, 11:36:21 AM
Quote from: Dolph1 on January 04, 2019, 11:15:13 AM
Quote from: J70 on January 04, 2019, 11:11:48 AM
No, I answered all right.

Not my problem if you've got intellectual issues, whether genuine or dishonest.

Given your interpretation of politics I'm not surprised that you don't want to answer a straightforward question. It's a bit like your bathroom policies ;)

You see, this is why the likes of Eamonn are trying to get you banned again. You've no interest in honest discourse. You're just a troll.

Or maybe just incredibly thick, but the former is more likely IMO.

But once again, for the idiots in the room, banning the words themselves... wrong and stupid.
The overall meme... I'm not sure. It's childish and stupid and easily argued against, but a lot of people seem to like, and find convincing, that level of argument, including Trump and, evidently, yourself.

So that's twice I've explained it. Perhaps I'm the bigger idiot for engaging you, for now.

Thank you for clarifying. I couldn't agree more.

Trump 2020. Making America Greater Again

whitey

Given your interpretation of politics I'm not surprised that you don't want to answer a straightforward question. It's a bit like your bathroom policies ;)

You see, this is why the likes of Eamonn are trying to get you banned again. You've no interest in honest discourse. You're just a troll.

Or maybe just incredibly thick, but the former is more likely IMO.

But once again, for the idiots in the room, banning the words themselves... wrong and stupid.
The overall meme... I'm not sure. It's childish and stupid and easily argued against, but a lot of people seem to like, and find convincing, that level of argument, including Trump and, evidently, yourself.

So that's twice I've explained it. Perhaps I'm the bigger idiot for engaging you, for now.

So how come we never hear about childish and stupid posts about Trump getting banned?

Denn Forever

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Dolph1

Quote from: Dolph1 on January 03, 2019, 01:34:44 PM
If you want LOL check out Elizabeth Warren drinking a beer on live chat while announcing plans to run in 2020.

Some wisecrack stated that the beer is 1/1024th alcohol. Just as weak as her presidential ambition.

"Hold on a second, I'm gonna get me a beer" she said. What a fcking cringefest. Democrats are down with the people.

Trump 2020.

Oh Donald!!

Funnily enough Warren stated last March she would not run for president.

whitey

Quote from: Denn Forever on January 04, 2019, 02:04:40 PM
Have you reported them?

I have better things to do than attempt to stifle freee speech

easytiger95

People need to realise what free speech and the first amendment actually mean - Facebook, Twitter, Instagram etc are all private, commercial forums, subject to user agreement. Their owners have every right under the American Constitution to censor what goes on their own, commercial platforms.

Now, if you wanted to guarantee free speech on these platforms, under the Constitution, you would have to nationalise these platforms. Which is a policy I would support, and, coincidentally, it is really hilarious to see right wing, small government, libertarians being forced to use this argument, thus essentially nullifying their world view of "government - bad! Market - good!"

So, as you can see Dolph, Whitey et al, the "speech police" are actually mall cops. Perhaps you should change where you shop.

whitey

Quote from: easytiger95 on January 04, 2019, 03:24:10 PM
People need to realise what free speech and the first amendment actually mean - Facebook, Twitter, Instagram etc are all private, commercial forums, subject to user agreement. Their owners have every right under the American Constitution to censor what goes on their own, commercial platforms.

Now, if you wanted to guarantee free speech on these platforms, under the Constitution, you would have to nationalise these platforms. Which is a policy I would support, and, coincidentally, it is really hilarious to see right wing, small government, libertarians being forced to use this argument, thus essentially nullifying their world view of "government - bad! Market - good!"

So, as you can see Dolph, Whitey et al, the "speech police" are actually mall cops. Perhaps you should change where you shop.

These are publicly traded companies that should be enforcing their standards uniformly. What's good for the left should be good for the right. Their "enforcement" seems to be very one sided and overly restrictive on points of view that are right leaning.In time these platforms will evolve and maybe even face competition from other sources. Eg I now use Twitter much more than Facebook

Dolph1

Point taken and you're right. Beware of the mall cops!!

Companies like facebook and google initially indicated they were a neutral platform but in recent years have shown their bias. It's a shame they've gone this way.
All you really want it an equal playing field and neutral platforms. Thank god for the Gaaboard.

easytiger95

Quote from: Dolph1 on January 04, 2019, 03:44:58 PM

Point taken and you're right. Beware of the mall cops!!

Companies like facebook and google initially indicated they were a neutral platform but in recent years have shown their bias. It's a shame they've gone this way.
All you really want it an equal playing field and neutral platforms. Thank god for the Gaaboard.

Or a place where you are not constantly confronted with vile bigotry and racism. Tomatoes or tomatoes, I suppose.

J70

Quote from: whitey on January 04, 2019, 01:38:55 PM

[/quote

Or maybe just incredibly thick, but the former is more likely  ;D

So how come we never hear about childish and stupid posts about Trump getting banned?

Whitey... always trying to cast conservatives and the GOP as victims of a horrible, biased society and press...

I don't know - there's tonnes of similar memes to Trump about Obama and other Democrats. Were THEY banned?

Perhaps Facebook is finally trying to clean up their act. Perhaps this was done by one overzealous moderator. We don't even know how true this damn story is.

I don't have a f**king clue.

I'm not the one always making grand, definitive, pronouncements about supposed bias in the press (assuming you're lumping FB in with them). That would be YOU.

J70

Quote from: whitey on January 04, 2019, 03:33:32 PM

These are publicly traded companies that should be enforcing their standards uniformly. What's good for the left should be good for the right. Their "enforcement" seems to be very one sided and overly restrictive on points of view that are right leaning.In time these platforms will evolve and maybe even face competition from other sources. Eg I now use Twitter much more than Facebook

I presume there's evidence of the one-sided enforcement?

whitey

Quote from: J70 on January 04, 2019, 05:21:39 PM

[/quote

Whitey... always trying to cast conservatives and the GOP as victims of a horrible, biased society and press...

I don't know - there's tonnes of similar memes to Trump about Obama and other Democrats. Were THEY banned?

Perhaps Facebook is finally trying to clean up their act. Perhaps this was done by one overzealous moderator. We don't even know how true this damn story is.

I'm not the one always making grand, definitive, pronouncements about supposed bias in the press (assuming you're lumping FB in with them). That would be YOU.

Yes Me (and the editor of The NY Times )

whitey

Quote from: J70 on January 04, 2019, 05:24:18 PM

If you count the opinions of  100 Facebook employees, I would say yes

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/28/technology/inside-facebook-employees-political-bias.html

J70

Quote from: whitey on January 04, 2019, 05:43:58 PM
Quote from: J70 on January 04, 2019, 05:24:18 PM

If you count the opinions of  100 Facebook employees, I would say yes

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/28/technology/inside-facebook-employees-political-bias.html

100 employees out of how many?

Even the info outlined in the article is all over the place. Alex Jones gets (deservedly) banned, but "Others have said Facebook, out of fear of being seen as biased, has let too many right-wing groups flourish on the site."

J70

Quote from: whitey on January 04, 2019, 05:34:19 PM
Quote from: J70 on January 04, 2019, 05:21:39 PM

[/quote

Yes Me (and the editor of The NY Times )

A bit of a shame that she's hit back at the Fox story.

"His article is an attempt to Foxify my book, which is full of praise for The Times and The Washington Post and their coverage of Trump,"

https://www.apnews.com/996be609a01c481798eea78a94a1c98d

But I guess that's just even more evidence of liberal bias against conservatives to you.