Stairway to Heaven Fermanagh

Started by nrico2006, July 16, 2019, 10:21:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

Anybody did this walk? Thinking of bringing the wines before going to Marble Arch Caves. They are 6 and 10. How long does it take each way roughly?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Milltown Row2

Quote from: nrico2006 on July 16, 2019, 10:21:27 PM
Anybody did this walk? Thinking of bringing the wines before going to Marble Arch Caves. They are 6 and 10. How long does it take each way roughly?

Marble Arch brilliant, haven't done stairway but no toilet along the way so with kids I'd say that be difficult
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

nrico2006

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 16, 2019, 10:33:22 PM

Marble Arch brilliant, haven't done stairway but no toilet along the way so with kids I'd say that be difficult

How long do you spend in Marble Arch Caves?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Milltown Row2

Quote from: nrico2006 on July 16, 2019, 10:35:49 PM

How long do you spend in Marble Arch Caves?

Depends on how much of the cave is open, due to the weather 45min to hour
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

michaelg

Not done it myself, but is it not 6 or 7 miles all in or thereabouts?  Might be a bit much for your kids maybe.

BennyCake

My main memory of the Marble Arch Caves was saving a wee toddler from falling down those stairs in the gift shop. Noticed her corner of my eye edging near, parents didn't see her toddle off. Jesus when I think of what could have happened.

Marble Arch caves are good, but feckin freezing down there. Am I right in saying you get a wee boat ride, or am I confusing that with somewhere else? Never done the walk though. Would like to though.

Tony Baloney

I did it last year nrico and you know my fitness levels  ;D

The problem you may find with the wains is it's a fair oul trek to get to the actual stairway and the terrain isn't all the exciting.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: BennyCake on July 16, 2019, 11:05:32 PM
My main memory of the Marble Arch Caves was saving a wee toddler from falling down those stairs in the gift shop. Noticed her corner of my eye edging near, parents didn't see her toddle off. Jesus when I think of what could have happened.

Marble Arch caves are good, but feckin freezing down there. Am I right in saying you get a wee boat ride, or am I confusing that with somewhere else? Never done the walk though. Would like to though.

Boat ride there if it hasn't been raining for a period! Yeah cold but not that bad

gawa316

Did the walk up Benaughlin (oops meant Cuilcagh) before the stairs were put in and it was tight enough going, so not sure it would be too enjoyable with the children. If you're doing the caves you could park at claddagh glen and walk up from there. Nice walk with the river running alongside, waterfalls etc. Had my 4, 6 and 8 yr old do it last November.

The Burren in blacklion ain't too far away either if you want to add something else or florencecourt house.

omaghjoe

Is this the new walkway they put up Culcaigh?

If so i did it when it was just a sander across the bog... plenty o heather around if nature calls. As has been said it is a very long walk in which makes it slightly tedious but the environment is beautiful nice and the isolation is freaky

BennyCake

What about yer woman who lives in that cottage with no electricity? It's near there somewhere. Can you visit that?

Colin Murphy visited her on some show. I think Terry Wogan did too.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: omaghjoe on July 17, 2019, 06:30:53 AM
Is this the new walkway they put up Culcaigh?

If so i did it when it was just a sander across the bog... plenty o heather around if nature calls. As has been said it is a very long walk in which makes it slightly tedious but the environment is beautiful nice and the isolation is freaky

I think they've done away with the top few steps. Not 100% sure.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

mrhardyannual

It's a bog. Acres of toilets.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: mrhardyannual on July 20, 2019, 09:55:52 PM

I suppose if you're used to watching you're kids squatting having a piss then you're sorted

omaghjoe

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 20, 2019, 11:17:25 PM
Quote from: mrhardyannual on July 20, 2019, 09:55:52 PM

I suppose if you're used to watching you're kids squatting having a piss then you're sorted

A summer in the bog is a culchies reward for existing the championship.......Black mountain could provide some incentive for the city footballer?