Alan Dillon Retires

Started by mrhardyannual, November 28, 2017, 11:13:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maroon Manc

Where would he rank in terms of Mayo's best forwards the last 25 years?

From the Bunker

Quote from: ONeill on December 05, 2017, 10:37:33 PM
I was trying to be nice. Mickey wouldn't have had that lack of pure dirt around him back then.

No, you were being smug! And I'm ok with that. Just had to give you a dig back!

stephenite

Quote from: Maroon Manc on December 07, 2017, 01:41:35 PM

For me (and without thinking about it too much) ;

1. Ciaran Mc
2. Dillon
3. Kevin O'Neill
4. C O'C
5. James Horan

Some will argue against Kevin O'Neill ahead of C O'C but for me O'Neill was unlucky with injuries and was probably on a par with Ciaran Mc in terms of raw talent - an All Star in '93 when we were shite

Syferus

Quote from: stephenite on December 08, 2017, 03:45:05 AM

For me (and without thinking about it too much) ;

1. Ciaran Mc
2. Dillon
3. Kevin O'Neill
4. C O'C
5. James Horan

Some will argue against Kevin O'Neill ahead of C O'C but for me O'Neill was unlucky with injuries and was probably on a par with Ciaran Mc in terms of raw talent - an All Star in '93 when we were shite

Surely Mayo's only ever PotY forward is ahead of Dillon, or does he count as Roscommon?

Seriously though, of even those on the Mayo panel this year both Moran and Kevin McLoughlin are overall better forwards than him and in the case of COC, while definitely lesser as a footballer, his importance as a free-taker makes a strong case for taking him over Dillon as well. In terms of sheer skill there's a big gap between him and Ciaran Mc too.

Lar Naparka

I wouldn't include him in my list. Good but never inspirational and could go missing in high pressure situations.
Ciaran Mac would top my list, followed by James Horan. Kevin O'Neill would rank next and in terms of class I'd put him right behind Ciaran but his effectiveness was curtailed by injuries. Andy Moran has to be included also and the same is true of Kevin McLoughlin.
CO'C is an enigma. He has everything but lacks speed off the mark. In recent games, he shown more willingness to scrap for dirty ball and throw himself about more but in his early years I thought he could go missing unless he had possession, a bit like Dillon in fact.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Rossfan

Ciaran Mac was one of the most talented I've ever seen.
Ye had a Joe Corcoran and Tom (?) Langan who oul lads tell me were  something else.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Rossfan on December 09, 2017, 12:09:29 AM
Ciaran Mac was one of the most talented I've ever seen.
Ye had a Joe Corcoran and Tom (?) Langan who oul lads tell me were  something else.
Know nothing about Tom but he made the team of the millennium in 1999 so he must have been pretty good.
Joe was something else. He had mesmerising ball control and even the opposition fans would give him a round of appluase after a  good solo run. There was a buzz of anticipation every time he got the ball and headed for goal.
But he wasn't particularly effective because he could over elaborate and wind up losing the ball or having to shoot from awkward angles. Mind you, this mightn't have been his fault entirely it could have been that the other forwards kinda expected Joe to do the business and, often as not, there was  no one for him to lay off the ball to.
Still, he was the best ball carrier I have seen.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi