Author Topic: Money, Dublin and the GAA  (Read 26249 times)

Bord na Mona man

• View Profile
    • Uibhfhaili.com
Re: Money, Dublin and the GAA
« Reply #510 on: December 07, 2017, 09:49:02 AM »
It correlates that less financially wealthy counties, with the lowest budgets have the most players working away and travelling greater distances.

A good way to dilute one of Dublin's key advantages would be to have travel expenses for senior inter county teams come out of the central GAA budget.

With proper checks to make sure the expenses are genuine obviously.

OgraAnDun

• View Profile
« Reply #511 on: December 07, 2017, 10:44:37 AM »
It correlates that less financially wealthy counties, with the lowest budgets have the most players working away and travelling greater distances.

A good way to dilute one of Dublin's key advantages would be to have travel expenses for senior inter county teams come out of the central GAA budget.

Seeing as all Dublin players work and live in Dublin, I doubt travel expenses are a large part of the DCBs expenses. I’m not sure how this would dilute Dublin’s advantage?

Lone Shark

• View Profile
    • Uíbhfháilí.com
« Reply #512 on: December 07, 2017, 11:08:54 AM »

Seeing as all Dublin players work and live in Dublin, I doubt travel expenses are a large part of the DCBs expenses. I’m not sure how this would dilute Dublin’s advantage?

Because it's a minimal cost to a county like Dublin, but a significant burden to some other counties where there is little or no local employment/third level education, and so they're forking out significant mileage for every training session. I was told before that as a rule of thumb in some counties, every training session costs around €3,000 by the time you take into account mileage, food, management costs etc.

Rossfan

• Ballaghaderreen CO ROSCOMMON
    • View Profile
    • Roscommon County Board official website
« Reply #513 on: December 07, 2017, 11:12:49 AM »
Id say that figure wouldn't be far out for western Counties anyway.
Some form of Central grant should be available right enough.
2017 Double Connacht Champions

OgraAnDun

• View Profile
« Reply #514 on: December 07, 2017, 11:13:30 AM »
I misconstrued your original post. Got it now! Decent idea if travel expenses are taken out of CBs hands and paid by Croke Park.

Bord na Mona man

• View Profile
    • Uibhfhaili.com
« Reply #515 on: December 07, 2017, 11:17:36 AM »

Yep, that's exactly the point.
The richest county in the GAA is also the nearest one to being cost neutral on expenses.
This particular circumstantial advantage can easily be balanced out.

TheGreatest

• View Profile
« Reply #516 on: December 07, 2017, 11:51:31 AM »
I would go further that all expenses must be individually explained directly. What the managers expenses are, players, open the whole book on all counties, overseen by Croke Park and properly audited.

OgraAnDun

• View Profile
« Reply #517 on: December 07, 2017, 12:43:01 PM »
I would go further that all expenses must be individually explained directly. What the managers expenses are, players, open the whole book on all counties, overseen by Croke Park and properly audited.

I imagine that the expenses you are alluding to - the ones not quite in line with the GAA's rules - come straight out of the sponsor's bank account and never actually go to the county board. So opening the books probably won't make much difference on that front.

twohands!!!

• View Profile
« Reply #518 on: December 07, 2017, 07:32:10 PM »
I misconstrued your original post. Got it now! Decent idea if travel expenses are taken out of CBs hands and paid by Croke Park.

I think there is a plan in place whereby the actual mileage for intercounty players is going to be administered by Croke Park next year, but the county boards will be reimbursing Croke Park.

I've a notion this came about as a result of GPA lobbying because some of the county boards were constantly having issues with how timely they were in reimbursing intercounty players and there being differences in how the different codes were being treated in the same counties.

mayoaremagic

• View Profile
« Reply #519 on: December 15, 2017, 10:59:52 AM »
In 10 years time when people ask when did GAA inter-county football die and is it only Kerry and Dublin that take it serious anymore, I shall point them to this thread.

Well, not really the truth is it? They could put a motion to congress and vote. 31 counties worth of votes. And it would be all your own doing.

If Dublin fans were any ways clued in, they would see that the power in the gaa isn't in Dublin, but rather in the group. If you keep isolating yourself and refusing to give an inch to anyone else, you will pretty soon find yourself on the wrong side of a huge majority.

In truth, the Dubs would be much better served giving an inch here and there on things that aren't going to make that much of a difference in the grand scheme of things...

The latest whining about Michael O'Donoghue (who took a team of alsorans and won literally everything), getting an award over Jim Gavin (who with a team who had won 4 AI in 5 years, won an all Ireland) for achievements in the last 12 months, would be the latest example of why the Dubs could very well end up sickening everyone into taking away their funding.

Rossfan

• Ballaghaderreen CO ROSCOMMON
    • View Profile
    • Roscommon County Board official website
« Reply #520 on: December 15, 2017, 11:04:51 AM »
Costello's report to their convention was some whinge fest!!!
They all hate us boo hoo hoo.....
2017 Double Connacht Champions

Owenmoresider

• View Profile
« Reply #521 on: December 15, 2017, 11:32:02 AM »
Costello's report to their convention was some whinge fest!!!
They all hate us boo hoo hoo.....
And written like a petulant teenager as well. The persecution complex is alive and well in the DCB.

Syferus

• View Profile
« Reply #522 on: December 15, 2017, 01:59:31 PM »
Everyone hates them but they do the sum total of nothing to gang up and check Dublin's advantages at congress. It feels like fighting for gun laws in the US.