China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 06, 2020, 01:55:14 PM
Trailer it can have  pretty serious effects on younger people too. Even younger people.It's not just deaths. Just read that thread on deaths and the 41 year old actor.

How do I know lockdown helping things? No one can say this with 100% certainty but no one can prove the opposite either. It's cases were growing exponentially and then they weren't when the period of "grace" was over. Finer grained details of lockdown don't really matter - life as anyone in Tyrone or monaghan and Spain changed dramatically and the amount of contact with other people was dramatically reduced . Do you really think lockdown didn't help things?

Of course locking down helped.

New York state was hitting 800 deaths per day a couple of weeks after they initiated the lockdown. Once the measures caught up with the disease, the death rate decreased dramatically as fewer people were getting infected and hospitals were able to get a grip on the outbreak. We've plateaued at a low death rate now as things have partially opened up, but much of the rest of the US is now paying the price for mask-wearing and shutdowns being politicized and people in those places saying "f**k you" to the measures.

imtommygunn

Exactly. The stats should speak for themselves. What the numbers would be without lockdown who knows but I highly doubt they would be in a place like where we are now.

Gmac

Quote from: J70 on July 06, 2020, 02:00:39 PM
Trailer it can have  pretty serious effects on younger people too. Even younger people.It's not just deaths. Just read that thread on deaths and the 41 year old actor.

How do I know lockdown helping things? No one can say this with 100% certainty but no one can prove the opposite either. It's cases were growing exponentially and then they weren't when the period of "grace" was over. Finer grained details of lockdown don't really matter - life as anyone in Tyrone or monaghan and Spain changed dramatically and the amount of contact with other people was dramatically reduced . Do you really think lockdown didn't help things?

New York state was hitting 800 deaths per day a couple of weeks after they initiated the lockdown. Once the measures caught up with the disease, the death rate decreased dramatically as fewer people were getting infected and hospitals were able to get a grip on the outbreak. We've plateaued at a low death rate now as things have partially opened up, but much of the rest of the US is now paying the price for mask-wearing and shutdowns being politicized and people in those places saying "f**k you" to the measures.
the USA had lowest Sunday deaths yesterday since March 28th so not all bad news .

Maiden1

The stats don't speak for themselves though.

I was reading on this board some debate on David De Gea so I googled to see what his overall numbers for the season are as opposed to anecdotal remembering of 1 or 2 mistakes and the very first article I clicked on was below.  It has Allison in bottom place and if you go purely on this statistic Allison is the worst keeper in the league.

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/saves?po=GOALKEEPER

This is the sort of 1 number without context information we are getting on covid.  To give the numbers more meaning they at a minimum should be broken down by age range, with or from, healthy/underlying health condition/terminal illness, lab test diagnosis or suspected.  Without any breakdown the statistics we are being given are only slightly above meaningless.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

J70

Quote from: Gmac on July 06, 2020, 02:39:25 PM
Quote from: J70 on July 06, 2020, 02:00:39 PM

the USA had lowest Sunday deaths yesterday since March 28th so not all bad news .

Good.

Let's hope the recent upsurge in cases and hospitalizations doesn't result in an increase in deaths and serious health effects over the coming weeks.

Rudi

We require a Jonah Hill type character (moneyball) to crunch the numbers behind the coronavirus, if he's not available the guy who wrote Freakeconomics might do.

J70

Quote from: Maiden1 on July 06, 2020, 02:47:05 PM

I was reading on this board some debate on David De Gea so I googled to see what his overall numbers for the season are as opposed to anecdotal remembering of 1 or 2 mistakes and the very first article I clicked on was below.  It has Allison in bottom place and if you go purely on this statistic Allison is the worst keeper in the league.

This is the sort of 1 number without context information we are getting on covid.  To give the numbers more meaning they at a minimum should be broken down by age range, with or from, healthy/underlying health condition/terminal illness, lab test diagnosis or suspected.  Without any breakdown the statistics we are being given are only slightly above meaningless.

The stats are pretty clear in New York City and the surrounding areas.

Massive outbreak, hospitals at breaking point.

Everything gets shut down, people stay home and don't mix, they don't go to bars or cinemas or concerts or Broadway, subway ridership declines massively, they wear masks when they do have to go out.

Slowly things get better, especially after the mask mandate goes into effect.

You can try to argue that it was using a sledge hammer to crack a nut if you want, but what other option was there with a new virus in a massive, extremely dense population which is completely reliant on public transport and is located at a major global crossroads?

Cunny Funt

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 06, 2020, 01:25:50 PM
Why should they take responsibility for the death toll? Ridiculous statement.

Yes they could have done better.

However again your point ignores the fact that but for lockdown this would have been way worse. So yes it hasn't been as bad as predicted but the world has been half shut and it isn't over yet.
Hard to believe that point still has to be explained to some.

From a 2 meter distance i was talking to a 41 year old woman that recovered from Covid today. She picked it up when someone coughed on her when working in a car boot sale in Carrick on Shannon and Leitrim I might add has the lowest number of case in the ROI.

Her lungs collasped and was placed induced coma for six weeks. She's not overweight or had any underlying conditions makes one think about this seriousness of this virus.

Maiden1

Quote from: J70 on July 06, 2020, 03:18:09 PM
Quote from: Maiden1 on July 06, 2020, 02:47:05 PM

The stats are pretty clear in New York City and the surrounding areas.

Massive outbreak, hospitals at breaking point.

Everything gets shut down, people stay home and don't mix, they don't go to bars or cinemas or concerts or Broadway, subway ridership declines massively, they wear masks when they do have to go out.

Slowly things get better, especially after the mask mandate goes into effect.

You can try to argue that it was using a sledge hammer to crack a nut if you want, but what other option was there with a new virus in a massive, extremely dense population which is completely reliant on public transport and is located at a major global crossroads?
That is a good analogy.  Hopefully in years to come we can get to a point where we can see with more clarity whether we are using a sledge hammer to crack a nut or not.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

imtommygunn

Quote from: Cunny Funt on July 06, 2020, 03:50:32 PM

However again your point ignores the fact that but for lockdown this would have been way worse. So yes it hasn't been as bad as predicted but the world has been half shut and it isn't over yet.

From a 2 meter distance i was talking to a 41 year old woman that recovered from Covid today. She picked it up when someone coughed on her when working in a car boot sale in Carrick on Shannon and Leitrim I might add has the lowest number of case in the ROI.

Her lungs collasped and was placed induced coma for six weeks. She's not overweight or had any underlying conditions makes one think about this seriousness of this virus.

Yeah the reality is you just don't know how it would impact you or yours irrespective of age.

GetOverTheBar

She assumes she picked it up that way because it's memorable I take it?

What's more likely is, she's not washed her hands after filling up the car, using an ATM, drinking out of a workplace tea cup which hasn't been cleaned properly or handled by someone else prior (making it for her) etc.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on July 06, 2020, 05:07:34 PM

She assumes she picked it up that way because it's memorable I take it?

What's more likely is, she's not washed her hands after filling up the car, using an ATM, drinking out of a workplace tea cup which hasn't been cleaned properly or handled by someone else prior (making it for her) etc.

All she was in contact with was tracked and traced. The fella that accidentally coughed in her direction had mild symptoms and didn't know he had the virus until tested.

It happened in early March when people was less clued on the precautions to take.

imtommygunn

25 cases in the north this past week. Reading round they seem to reckon there's a cluster of them in crossgar.

GalwayBayBoy

The COVID contact tracing app is now available on both Apple and Android.

Just search COVID Tracker Ireland.

johnnycool

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 06, 2020, 07:56:21 PM
25 cases in the north this past week. Reading round they seem to reckon there's a cluster of them in crossgar.

It was reported initially as County Down but I just don't get why they don't be more specific if they have that information as it may help people in that area to be more vigilant..