The Horse racing thread

Started by maddog, December 19, 2006, 03:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

el_cuervo_fc

Paddy Power has 'Misty for me' as a non runner

Donnellys Hollow

Ground has probably gone to quick for her. Probably wait for the Matron at Leopardstown now.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Bud Wiser

How duz the differing ground affect different horses in different ways? Is it just that some like soft or hard or is it weight or age. 
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Donnellys Hollow

Some horses bend their knee significantly when galloping and they tend to hit the ground quite hard. Horses that do this prefer a bit of give in the ground because they will come back sore and jarred if they run on quick ground. A horse with more of a "daisy cutting" action will prefer quicker ground because they find it harder to skip out of heavy ground.

A horse's preference is largely dependent on its pedigree. A horse sired by Danehill would tend to have a preference for quicker ground whereas most Montjeus excel in softer conditions.

Armaghgael

Why you not post it before the race?? :P :P :P
If in doubt.......take man and ball!

Armaghgael

Well its only a tip if it wins and if you happen to get anymore you know were to go first
If in doubt.......take man and ball!

bcarrier

DH, Might the real article have been turned into a rogue by  continual disappointments ?

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: bcarrier on July 29, 2011, 09:45:14 PM
DH, Might the real article have been turned into a rogue by  continual disappointments ?

I think all them Definite Article horses are a bitteen soft like their Daddy. They just don't seem to find that much when push comes to shove. He still should have beaten Captain Cee Bee down at Limerick Junction regardless of how he ran on Thursday.

Famous Name is running over in Germany today. Hopefully he can finally secure a long overdue Group 1.

Radda bout yeee

Whats the next bit of racing your looking forward to DH?

Mickey Linden

Whats ur take on the phoenix DH? Thinking of having a good bet on power @ 7/4. Have been impressed with him so far.

adevvabr

To me Frederick Engels has been the most impressive two year old so far this year. He beat Roman Soldier (who power beat a neck in coventry) a lot more convincing that the winning margin the last time at Newmarket and if he was from one of the big yards he'd probably be joint favourite with Power. Looks a great price at 4/1, only negative for him is Aidan o' Briens record in the race!

Donnellys Hollow

I haven't been following the flat that closely this season so I don't know a great deal about these 2yos. I haven't been that taken by Power. He looks like a horse that needs a bit further already. That said, he was supposed to be lame a few days before Ascot so that has to be taken into account when assessing his run in the Coventry.

The two 2yos I've been most impressed with are Camelot and Harbour View. It's a pity Born To Sea hasn't been ran yet - two of his half-brothers, Galileo and Black Sam Bellamy didn't race until the October of their 2yo career but Sea The Stars first saw a racetrack in July 2008.

Hound

Quote from: el_cuervo_fc on July 29, 2011, 05:52:51 PM
Paddy Power has 'Misty for me' as a non runner
I had Midday backed - €15 at 11/4, but only got €43.88 back when he won (22% less than I thought I'd get).

I came on this thread to find out if there was a reason, and I'm presuming this is it. Is 22% correct - seems high, but I suppose Misty for Me was probably favourite when I placed my bet.

Donnellys Hollow

Canford Cliffs retired to Coolmore. No major surprise there.

Joxer

Got word in the 8.20 @ Sligo for Shore Wood.