The Horse racing thread

Started by maddog, December 19, 2006, 03:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: Muzz on June 18, 2011, 08:09:28 PM
Fair point.  So will thousand stars put it up to big bucks?

In a word, No. Quevega would be best placed but in all likelihood Mullins will go for the Mares Hurdle again.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on June 18, 2011, 09:47:26 PM
Quote from: Muzz on June 18, 2011, 08:09:28 PM
Fair point.  So will thousand stars put it up to big bucks?

In a word, No. Quevega would be best placed but in all likelihood Mullins will go for the Mares Hurdle again.

Probably not but it's fair to say that Big Bucks hasn't met as classy a horse as Thousand Stars. For me Solwhit is the interesting horse in the staying division. He's probably a little bit better than Thousand Stars and his running style has always suggested that he's in need of a trip. I know there's rumours that he could be going chasing but he's only a handy little horse who might not take to fences. I'd love him to go over to Newbury for the hurdle race on Hennessy day to see if he's up to taking on Big Bucks. If Solwhit gets stuffed then they can always go chasing at Christmas. I'd love to see Quevega run in the Stayers Hurdle but it's unlikely now when connections have Thousand Stars.

Quote from: drici on June 18, 2011, 10:30:47 PM
Oh aye.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtxHeVD1xKQ&NR=1

Some class footage on there.

Captain Christy 1974:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRFUBTvmu3Y&feature=related

Golden Cygnet 1978:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_8KSgxz4pg

The People's Champion 1997:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uftABsFI_4
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

TacadoirArdMhacha

My own view on Solwhit is that he is a cracking 2 mile hurdler who would have placed in the Champion had Byrne sent him over. Did he pick up an injury towards the end of the season? I'd have thought that he would have picked up the Aintree hurdle had he been laid out for the race.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Groucho

Wee Giant 4.05 Gowran Park 8)
I like to see the fairways more narrow, then everyone would have to play from the rough, not just me

beer baron

Got word for St. Cillians run earlier but he was an e/w bet to nothing at the time.Expected to win,4.30 hexham!

Candyman

Groucho ye feckin Bollocks ye!!!

whitegoodman

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on June 19, 2011, 01:11:39 AM
My own view on Solwhit is that he is a cracking 2 mile hurdler who would have placed in the Champion had Byrne sent him over. Did he pick up an injury towards the end of the season? I'd have thought that he would have picked up the Aintree hurdle had he been laid out for the race.

My understanding is that Solwhit wasn't sparkling at home before Cheltenham so they roughed him off for the year before Liverpool. I think there's every chance he'll get three miles. He's by a fairly unknown German sire but his dam is from the Northern Dancer line so there is plenty of stamina in the pedigree. I think it's fair to say that Big Bucks has never met a hurdler with a real potent turn of foot. Now it's possible that he'll simply dismiss him like he has done to all comers for the past three years but it's a race that all NH fans will greatly anticipate.

Thousand Stars is apparently going to stay over hurdles too.

bridge fan

Quote from: beer baron on June 19, 2011, 02:14:41 PM
Got word for St. Cillians run earlier but he was an e/w bet to nothing at the time.Expected to win,4.30 hexham!

timmy fecking murphy  :'( had good word for it also and had a good bet on it didnt see the race but heard he wasnt great but lucky enough the bumper horse had yet 2 run so got it all back with more  :) :)

beer baron

Quote from: bridge fan on June 19, 2011, 09:04:04 PM

timmy fecking murphy  :'( had good word for it also and had a good bet on it didnt see the race but heard he wasnt great but lucky enough the bumper horse had yet 2 run so got it all back with more  :) :)

Think you might be getting the same nod i am.Timmy cost me a fortune yesterday and i didnt have the balls to back atlanta falcon!

winsamsoon

Quote from: beer baron on June 20, 2011, 09:32:10 AM

He gave that St Killians run a great ride until the finishing straight then he switched the horse onto the rail and the horse in front cut him off . He then tried to switch the horse back out but by that stage the bird had flown.

I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

beer baron

Quote from: winsamsoon on June 20, 2011, 10:46:47 AM
Quote from: beer baron on June 20, 2011, 09:32:10 AM

He gave that St Killians run a great ride until the finishing straight then he switched the horse onto the rail and the horse in front cut him off . He then tried to switch the horse back out but by that stage the bird had flown.

Are you serious?Fair enough he switched the horse off but look at a few of the jumps,going between horses where there was no gap,no need to take those risks,pity Carberry doesnt ride for David Johnson,im certain he would've won cosily with Carberry on but sure that's gambling! ::)

Donnellys Hollow

I don't think Timmy's heart is in it anymore. He still pulls the odd rabbit out of the hat like Poker De Sivola in the Whitbred but his riding has declined significantly IMO. He was as good a rider as there was about during the middle years of the last decade. Beautiful pair of hands. David Johnson's string has declined significantly too. I can't think of any promising young horses in his ownership apart from Jessies Dream. He only part owns the likes of Ghizao.