The Horse racing thread

Started by maddog, December 19, 2006, 03:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on December 11, 2010, 04:01:35 PM
He was a brilliant bumper winner but I have a feeling that was one of the worst Champion Bumper fields ever. He travelled beautifully today but didn't really find as much as you'd expect and his head carriage looked a bit questionable. I wouldn't be breaking down the door of the bookies to back him for the novice races.

I really like Menorah but I'm not sure he justifys favouratism for March now. Cue Card had only two prior hurdling runs before today and Silviniaco Conte had only three. That will be very difficult form to weigh up. It was also a muddling enough race because they just completely ignored the pacemaker. You have to ask yourself would Peddlers Cross, Solwhit or Hurricane Fly have won that race today? I'm sure they would have.

I must be stone mad but Dunguib at 20s is starting to tempt me! Hurricane Fly could make sh1te of all of them if he turns up but that is a massive if because he appears to be made of glass.

You are stone mad.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

winsamsoon

Great day punting today and racing. Had poquelin at 22/1, Mossley @4/1 and of course the magnificent masterminded. Thought geraghty had got mossley caught out but just pulled enough out. It travelled like a gem
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on December 11, 2010, 04:32:48 PM
He was a brilliant bumper winner but I have a feeling that was one of the worst Champion Bumper fields ever. He travelled beautifully today but didn't really find as much as you'd expect and his head carriage looked a bit questionable. I wouldn't be breaking down the door of the bookies to back him for the novice races.

I really like Menorah but I'm not sure he justifys favouratism for March now. Cue Card had only two prior hurdling runs before today and Silviniaco Conte had only three. That will be very difficult form to weigh up. It was also a muddling enough race because they just completely ignored the pacemaker. You have to ask yourself would Peddlers Cross, Solwhit or Hurricane Fly have won that race today? I'm sure they would have.

I must be stone mad but Dunguib at 20s is starting to tempt me! Hurricane Fly could make sh1te of all of them if he turns up but that is a massive if because he appears to be made of glass.

You are stone mad.

Beaten less than 2L by Menorah in the Supreme when ridden wrong. If they go back to the tactics that made him the best bumper winner since Montelado, it's not beyond the realms of possibilty that he can turn that form around. Ride him handier and give him a kick in the belly half a mile out. He is a Presenting so he should have abundant stamina. Why they tried to ride him like a speed horse, I don't know.

If he was to run well next month at Leopardstown he'll be a lot shorter than 20/1 and you'd be able to trade out at a shorter price. I'll wait till after the two trials at Christmas before I consider backing him but Menorah at 5s and Dunguib at 20s isn't right. If I was pricing it up now I'd have Menorah at about 8s and Dunguib at 14s. I doubt Menorah will still be favourite by New Years Day.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on December 11, 2010, 05:51:24 PM

You are stone mad.

Beaten less than 2L by Menorah in the Supreme when ridden wrong. If they go back to the tactics that made him the best bumper winner since Montelado, it's not beyond the realms of possibilty that he can turn that form around. Ride him handier and give him a kick in the belly half a mile out. He is a Presenting so he should have abundant stamina. Why they tried to ride him like a speed horse, I don't know.

If he was to run well next month at Leopardstown he'll be a lot shorter than 20/1 and you'd be able to trade out at a shorter price. I'll wait till after the two trials at Christmas before I consider backing him but Menorah at 5s and Dunguib at 20s isn't right. If I was pricing it up now I'd have Menorah at about 8s and Dunguib at 14s. I doubt Menorah will still be favourite by New Years Day.

I don't realy disagree with any of what you say (given the manner in which your knowledge of the game vastly outweighs my own I'd be foolish to) but surely having a punt on Kybher Kim or Solwhit at 16s is a better option than a horse beaten on his last two starts and without a run yet this season.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on December 11, 2010, 06:46:19 PM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on December 11, 2010, 05:51:24 PM

You are stone mad.

I don't realy disagree with any of what you say (given the manner in which your knowledge of the game vastly outweighs my own I'd be foolish to) but surely having a punt on Kybher Kim or Solwhit at 16s is a better option than a horse beaten on his last two starts and without a run yet this season.

Khyber Kim I couldn't really have on my mind. Don't rate the horse personally and think it was flattered to get as close as he did last year. I can't see how he'll go one better in what looks on paper to be a better renewal this season (if they all get there).

Solwhit is the equine equivalent of Ronseal. He does what it says on the tin. Byrnes' quotes put me off him though (maybe that's his plan!): "We will not be targeting him specifically at Cheltenham, and will go for all the Grade 1's like Leopardstown at Christmas and the Irish Champion back there"

Dunguib not having a run so far this season might be a good thing. Fenton is clearly trying to campaign him with one day in mind - unlike Byrnes with Solwhit. He possibly went off the boil last year because he'd been on the go since October. He'll go there this year a bit fresher and hopefully with more positive tactics. He wouldn't be my idea of the winner at this stage but at 20/1 I think he's the value in the market. A good round of jumping at either Leopardstown in January or Gowran in February and he'll be half that price.

Jesus, I can't believe I'm actually talking myself into this!!  :D

the greatest jockey

discounting kyber kim is not a wise move in my view, i didnt rate him going into last years festival but he's moved well clear of the field to finish 2nd and tehn comofrtably won the aintree hurdle, form has to be taken seriously. I think go native is value as well, fair enough is not as good as hurricane fly but went into last years renewal as favourite and like dunguib will be half the price after a decent run

Donnellys Hollow

I'd lay Khyber Kim till the cows come home. He's exposed and only won 6 races from 21 lifetime starts both on the flat and over jumps. He was flattered to finish where he did last year a bit like Crack Away Jack the previous year. That was the only time he's got in the frame in three runs at the festival - he was stuffed when fancied in Captain Cee Bee's Supreme Novice and he was well down the field in the County Hurdle in '09. He won well at Liverpool last year but Celestial Halo was tanking along when he came down and I think he'd have bolted up.

I can't have him improving as a 9yo to beat what could potentially be the best Champion Hurdle field since 2005. Twiston-Davies and Paddy Brennan can talk all they like about how he's a Ferrari on the gallops at home. He hasn't a prayer in this season's Champion Hurdle.

Fancy Riverside Theatre to win the Peterborough Chase tomorrow at Huntingdon. 5/2 looks a decent enough price to me. I can't see that moody pig Twist Magic staying this trip.

bcarrier

I backed Peddlers Cross during the summer for Champion but you have to respect Menorah's Cheltenham form. Still think Bino will be one to beat FWIW ( and my opinion on horses has had negative worth lately).

Nicholls horses absolutely flying so wouldnt write off Twist Magic tomorrow. Probably worth waiting to bet in running though.

Agree with DH about Big Zeb ...the champion chase is set up to be best contest since Moscow's last victory.

Donnellys Hollow

Four Grade 1s, a Grade 2 and a Grade 3 on tomorrow's card at Fairyhouse.

I'm thinking of pulling a sickie!  ;)

the greatest jockey

horses i like for tomorrow: Toner Doudairi, zaidpour, summit meeting and mourad ew, will hurricane flu stay the extra four furlongs? final approach, roberto golback ew, berties dream 20/1? has to be a laugh, zaarito if you can get one of ppowers faller insurance bets, romanesco

Donnellys Hollow

Hurricane Fly won over 2m4 in heavy ground at Auteuil so he does stay the trip. He might be in trouble if he doesn't settle and pulls Townend's arms out like he did in the Morgiana last year though. I'd prefer Solwhit to win the race but he's a skimpy enough price. No bet race for me.

This Zaidpour thing is supposed to be catching pigeons on the gallops down in Carlow so I'd expect him to go off odds on. Micky D on hurdles ratings looks a good thing but he's been off for too long to make him a betting proposition at a short price. Jessies Dream w/o the fav looks the bet. Disappointing that Captain Cee Bee and The Nightingale were taken out of the Durkan. J'y Vole at 13/2 looks a smashing price. Can't see her being out of the first three. Golden Silver with the run under his belt should be far too good in the Hilly Way even with his Grade 1 weight penalty.

Absolutely mouth watering racing in prospect. The best card in Ireland for years and RTÉ can't be arsed sending Bob Hall, Ted and a few cameras down to it.

bridge fan

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on December 14, 2010, 01:59:27 PM
Four Grade 1s, a Grade 2 and a Grade 3 on tomorrow's card at Fairyhouse.

I'm thinking of pulling a sickie!  ;)

so am i  :) :)

Joxer

DH,  See one of your picks before Romanesco is running in the last today.  Looked a great hopres in previous outings and surely will go close today.  Another eyecatcher in the race is PEak Raider with Nina on it.  Won very well about a month or so ago and will surely go close again!

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Joxer on December 15, 2010, 09:54:27 AM
DH,  See one of your picks before Romanesco is running in the last today.  Looked a great hopres in previous outings and surely will go close today.  Another eyecatcher in the race is PEak Raider with Nina on it.  Won very well about a month or so ago and will surely go close again!

I'm not sure Romanesco jumps well enough for a competitive handicap like this Joxer. Drop back in trip should suit though.

Knocknabooly looks very interesting but he's clearly had massive problems. Only ran 8 times since he ran behind Tommy Cooper's good mare in the 2004 Cheltenham bumper.  :o

Olly

There's a horse running today called Walden Prince in the first race at a Fairyhouse. It has never ran a race before but I really fancy it. It is only three years old two which seems a bit young but these animals can work up one hell of a gallop after 3-4 months of life. It's about 50-1 but has no form at all. I like it though.
Access to this webpage has been denied . This website has been categorised as "Sexual Material".