The Horse racing thread

Started by maddog, December 19, 2006, 03:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Homer

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on March 28, 2010, 04:44:20 PM

Noll Wallop at 5s into 7/2 romps home in the 2000 Guineas trial. Hope you were on Homer.  ;)

Nope, haven't had cent on anything since Cheltenham.

Nicely called all the same DH

sammymaguire

Secretive in the 3.40 and Deep Pockets in the 4pm today are decent e/w bets for me.
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Donnellys Hollow

Been looking through the Irish National weights for next week and Ballytrim sticks out like a sore thumb at the prices. Saddlers Storm needs a rake of withdrawals to even get in but the Martin factor has him as favourite. I think Ballytrim will take over as favourite when it's confirmed that Ruby rides him. Still available at 14/1.

Having a small e/w nibble on both Telenor and Alpha Ridge too given the excellent record of novices in this. Still available at 20/1 with the Magic Sign.

Noticed a lot of money for Arbor Supreme today in the English National market today. I fancied him for Aintree last year but he went for Fairyhouse instead. I think he's Ireland's best chance of a winner at Aintree looking at the ridiculous marks allotted to some of our horses. Can't believe McCoy is passing him over for one of Jonjo's yaks. His loss and Townend's gain I suppose. Maljimar at 40/1 is the value among the English horses - very reliable handicapper who has had the Silver Birch prep over the Cheltenham X-Country course.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Mac hinery

Hopefully Hardy will do his customary Aintree Grand national analysis this year again. 

Hardy

I probably will, but after last year you should probably ignore it.

Mac hinery

Quote from: Hardy on March 30, 2010, 08:58:49 AM

Well I for one have found it's done more good than harm these past few years.  It's never an exact science over the jumps anyway but every little bit of info helps. 

bcarrier

While we are waiting for Hardy....

http://www.grand-national-guide.co.uk/grand-national-form.php

There has been one big stat to go in each of lasty two years 2008 - blinkers, 2009 - french bred .

The other thing that has happenned is that the world and his mother know about these stats now so there is at least a possibility that the best fits are over bet. Picking something that fails one stat (you decide) at a bigger price might be a better strategy. Might also be worth waiting to see what weather does - if the forecast rain comes horses like Flintoff and Whinstone boy might get in at bottom of the weights and should go well on soft.

Louth Exile

Quote from: Mac hinery on March 30, 2010, 09:36:30 AM
Quote from: Hardy on March 30, 2010, 08:58:49 AM

Well I for one have found it's done more good than harm these past few years.  It's never an exact science over the jumps anyway but every little bit of info helps.

Its hardly an exact science on the flat either  :D
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

CentreHalfBack

3:00 NOVICE HANDICAP 2m 4f

Miss Saffron @ 11/4 (GP) (Win)   £22.50

Maybe this is the year for Antrim  :D
New season - new reason

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Homer on March 30, 2010, 04:10:48 PM
Denman to run in the Scottish Grand National:

http://www.racingpost.com/horses/home.sd?story=698007&ac=top&todT_id=1269961481.0139

I thought last week it was Punchestown he was heading for.

How many times do Nicholls/Barber/Findlay want to prove that they've got an iron horse on their hands to justify all 'The Tank' bullsh1t they come out with? The Hennessy this year was a brutal race and has undoubtedly left its mark on him. They'd already proved he could do it under top weight and they wanted him to prove it again. Horses aren't machines and I've a feeling it will all end in tears one day for 'The Tank'.

They probably deserve credit for having the balls to run him in handicaps and not wrapping him up in cotton wool like Kauto Star/Best Mate but I think both those horses have proved that you have to look after these top staying chasers if you want them to come back year after year. Back in the Arkle/Flyingbolt era you had to run in handicaps but there's a whole host of conditions chases these days where your horse won't have as hard a race. Who would he have to beat in the Guinness Gold Cup? Cooldine and Joncol off level weights  :-\

leenie

whats the chances of fairyhouse being cancelled on monday.....

if so i'll be raging as i am going and it will be my first race meeting..... :(
I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

leenie

bookies

fairyhouse to be called off           5/6
fairyhouse not to be called off     5/6

that tells me nothing!
I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

Donnellys Hollow

Good drying day today. I'd say we'll race alright. It'll be bottomless though.

You should have waited for Punchestown Leenie! Much better festival.

maddog

Any thoughts on the Irish national ? Had been looking at that Beroni but i think it has since been pulled out of it.